Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

picoscope 3423 4 channel (Read 6,717 times)
jarvissamuel
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Denver Colorado, Colorado, USA
Denver Colorado
Colorado
USA

picoscope 3423 4 channel
Apr 4th, 2005 at 7:04pm

Looks like all the rumours are true about a 4 channel pico.  Here is a link www.picotech.com/auto/4channel-automotive-kit.html

Maybe Tom has info he would like to share with us.

I am curious it lists advanced triggering so is that more trigger abilities above and beyond the 212 series.

Looks like Tom already has a fiewwww.autonerdz.com/picoquad.htm

Way cool waveform captures.
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2005 at 7:37pm by jarvissamuel »  

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: picoscope 3423 4 channel
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 8:34pm

Hi Sam,

Yes, this is what many have been anticipating.  The software is a bit buggy yet, but the performance is simply awesome.

I did a save on trigger test just to see how fast the data transfer was over USB 2.0 on my IBM laptop.  I set the scope up for maximum samples running all four channels to load it to the hilt.  I set it at 100ms/div so I had one second on each screen.  Then I ran a timed 30 second save on trigger session.  I got 27 files.  This means that 90% of everything that was happening was written to the hard drive.

I don't have any here yet, but am now taking advance orders.  I have a bunch of them ordered, but I'm sure they will be gone fast.  There will be a lag in supply for a while until production ramps up, so the next batch may be delayed.

As for the advanced triggering, I don't see anything advanced about it.  It's the same edge trigger with level and delay that the 212 series has.
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2005 at 6:48am by Tom Roberts »  

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

NickUK
Picogroup

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2005 at 3:17pm

Hi Tom,

What can i say, very impressive!  Smiley  Forget the specs - love the idea of no seperate power supply.

Would the unit suffer much with a USB 1 connection?

I guess the unit is plug and play? I have to say it's a real pain if the power supply goes, or poor cig lighter connection in mid capture on road test. You have re-boot the software to recognise the unit again. But the detail is worth it.

You've probably already touched on this somewhere, is the 512 buffer still shared?

There are some application that i prefere to use CHART instaed of BLOCK - any improvement here?

Speak soon.

Nick

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2005 at 3:54pm

Hi Nick,

Quote:
Would the unit suffer much with a USB 1 connection?

My tests on data transfer on USB 1.1 were much less impressive.  About 50-60% capture rate.  This all may change with a future software release though.

Quote:
I guess the unit is plug and play?

Yup, pretty much.  You just have to let Windows initially find the drivers for the USB.

Quote:
You've probably already touched on this somewhere, is the 512 buffer still shared?

Yes, the buffer and the ADC are both shared.

Quote:
There are some application that i prefere to use CHART instaed of BLOCK - any improvement here?

Well, all this depends on the machine way too much but I did run some tests in Chart and got 500s/sec.  Get 100s/sec on parallel.  Not much improvement here
YET

The hardware is capable of streaming much faster and I would not be surprised to see a future software release with high speed streaming capability.  This is still very new stuff and I think the software will have to grow into this killer piece of hardware.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged