Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

PicoScope keeps Elantra running! (Read 3,598 times)
ekul
Picogroup

"The Nutty Professor"

PicoScope keeps Elantra running!
Jun 8th, 2004 at 12:41am

Hi Gang,

You are all probably aware that sometimes a particular piece of equipment will affect or has an affect on the way a vehicle behaves when it is connected to the said vehicle.

Today I had a 2000 Mitsubishi Elentra L4 DOHC 2.0L come in with a complaint of ' won't start after sitting for half an hour after the engine had been run '

I checked for stored DTC's and none were found. The RPM in the data stream registered when I cranked the engine and other parameters were correct while the vehicle was behaving itself.

I then hooked up the PicoScope to the crank sensor to see if the waveform was okay. To short cut, I connected the negative probe to battery -ve and the positve probe to the sensor output wire. The waveform was picture perfect at this time.

I left the vehicle running while I answered a phone call.
Ten minutes later I went back to the vehicle and the waveform had flat lined on the scope but the vehicle was still idling away merrily!

I switched the vehicle off and tried a restart. One or two cranks and the vehicle started but still no waveform on the scope!!

This can't be right I mutters to me self! So while the engine was idling I disconnected the -ve probe and the engine stopped running. The engine would not restart!

I reconnected the PicoScope -ve probe and the vehicle started!
I did the -ve disconnect/reconnect a couple of times with the same results.

Okay .. I knew the crank sensor was cactus ( I bench tested it with a hair dryer and ohm meter plus I was getting no rpm data on the scanner ) but how come the PicoScope kept this vehicle running when the cranksensor dropped its bundle??  Grin

The new cranksensor ohmed out at 800ohms @ 20°C.
The old sensor ohmed the same but would go OL went I applied some heat to it.
I had to get this one out the door pretty quickly so I didn't get to experiment any further but it does have me wondering! ???

Cheers!
Kevin

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: PicoScope keeps Elantra running!
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2004 at 8:18am

Hi Kevin,

I don't show that model here.  I also show that engine with a hall effect CKP.  I assume you were working with a VRS type since you refer to ohm values.  I was looking it up to see if it was a floating sensor or not, but have no diagram for that.

I can see how the signal may have weakened and not shown up on the scope well without reducing Volts/div to see it, but how the scope kept it running is a mystery to me.  Now you have me wondering  Tongue

There are some hand held scopes that will kill a perfectly good runnning engine when hooked up due to low impedence, but to keep it running?!   Shocked

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

ekul
Picogroup

"The Nutty Professor"

Re: PicoScope keeps Elantra running!
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 2:55am

Hi Gang,

Tom : I hope ya don't think I'm 'crackers' on this one matey!  Grin

It is a VRS type sensor and although I said ' it flat lined ' on the scope, that was not strictly the case. A very, very small waveform was still visible.

I know what you are relating to with scopes/impedence.

One of our big box scopes is a perfect candidate for this.

On certain vehicles fitted with a L.E.D/optical type crank angle sensor, I can pick if a non OEM sensor assembly has been fitted. This comes in handy if the vehicle has a driveabilty issue and the client says " I've replaced the crank sensor ".

Not something I rely on but hey! it works in a pinch, especially on those pesky intermittents!

The PicoScope also affects some aftermarket crankshaft sensors on a particular GMH vehicle we have here in Aussie. The PicoScope will always pick the non OEM sensor. The vehicle will stall out everytime when I use the PicoScope to check the cylinder I.D wave. I change the sensor out, driveability issue is solved and the PicoScope works flawlessly!

Not bad aye! Wink

Cheers!
Kevin

IP Logged