Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

PicoScope Flash Movie Intro (Read 8,874 times)
Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

PicoScope Flash Movie Intro
May 17th, 2004 at 3:48pm

Here is a Flash movie introduction to the PicoScope interface:

http://www.autonerdz.com/flash/picointro.html

The latest demo can be downloaded for free from this page:

http://www.autonerdz.com/picokit.htm

The demo allows you to play with the controls using simulated data as well as read the documentation.  It's like having an in person demo without the salesman looking over your shoulder  Wink 

After all, it's your PC you will be using.  So you get a real hands on experience.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

John_W
Freshman Member
Picogroup

Re: PicoScope Flash Movie Intro
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2004 at 8:07am

That's cool  8)

I have the demo and that really showed me more.  I wasn't aware of some of the available features.

I've also been looking at the EASE PC scope.  It's more expensive with less hardware in the kit.  The scope specs look similar.  I'm thinking Pico because of price, features and support.  I also feel more comfortable going with something already proven.  I'm curious though.   Do you know anything about the EASE one?

John_W

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2004 at 12:13pm

Hi John,

Glad you enjoyed the movie  Grin

On the Ease scope, I have opinions but I'll just stick to the facts.

1.  The Ease scope is a Pico ADC 212/3.  That's why the specs are similar  Tongue  It's a reboxed Pico with the Ease name on it.

2.  The Pico boys were quite surprised when they saw it for the fist time at the AAPEX show in Vegas last year.

3.  Ease wrote their own software for the Pico hardware.

4.  PicoScope automotive software updates are free and you can put it on any number of PCs that you wish to use.  There is no key or permission required.

5.  The Pico automotive kit also comes standard with the ADC 212/3 but has more hardware for less money.  You also get the real PicoScope software with it.   Wink

6.  The PicoScope Automotive Kit is being used successfully world wide.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

MattF-MN

Reply #3 - May 21st, 2004 at 1:54pm

Is there anything obviously different in the EASE software as compared to the Pico?  Anything they did that was an improvement?  Anything it doesn't do that the Pico software does?  If someone who is reading this forum buys the EASE, who supports it?  Is it someone that uses it everyday?   Wink Cheesy

dsomatt  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2004 at 6:57am

Hi Matt,

I've only played with the Ease demo so I have not given it a run to see if there are any fundamental differences in operation.  The interface is quite different.  That would be one's personal taste.  I have some ethical concerns about how the product came to be, but that doesn't change the fact that its a good unit.  After all, it is a Pico  Cheesy

I would really have to do some testing of the actual software to see if some of the Ease claims are at all accurate.  For example, Ease claims they can put two ADC units together to make a four channel.  PicoScope software will not allow this.  However, since the driver can only access one at a time, the two units would not likely be synced.  Plus, the hook up would be a logistical nightmare.  If a four channel is needed, get a real one.

I am pretty sure the Ease software would not be compatable with the faster Pico units like PicoScope Automotive now is.

I have tested none of these things and probably won't.  So, I can't answer your questions.  I have no personal knowledge of the Ease support system either.

But, looking at the pricing,  it seems you could still buy a PicoScope kit with the PicoScope software and then the Ease software and still get more over buying the Ease package.   Tongue

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Romain.
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2004 at 10:27am

Hi Tom,  Good job on that demo, I like the way you presented it. I did catch some additional info in the visual and comments part of the demo.

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2004 at 10:06am

Hi Romain,

Thanks for the comments.  I'm glad that an experienced user, like yourself, was able to get something useful out of it.  I made it for an introduction to show that it really isn't that hard to use  Wink

Be sure to check out all the other movies available in the PicoScope Users Area for group members.

What type of connection were you using and did the movie run ok?  I'm still experimenting with this format, so feedback is appreciated.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Romain.
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2004 at 12:20pm

Experienced user ???? you should see me doing a rain-dance when I can not catch a wave, only to find out I'm not on the right channel for trigger.

have to check the pico users area out for more movies,  must have missed them.

I have a cable connection, teed in to my TV cable, have to pay double though, about $ 40 for TV and about the same for the internet use. ( my wife writes the cheque)

if anything stood out in the movie, it was the hard hits on the keyboard like with a small hammer, as if you meant business.

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #8 - May 26th, 2004 at 9:08am

Matt,

I got a call from EASE yesterday.  They offered to send me the scope software for evaluation.  This was unexpected  Shocked

I am in a unique position to get the answers to your (and others) questions.   I am familiar with the hardware and have all here in stock to do the tests required.  The boxes say Pico on them though.  Wink  Those that know me, trust that I will provide a factual and un-biased report.

I provide this service free of charge, for the benefit of all.  It wll take some time, but it may be the only way to get the answers out there.

Although the EASE scope is a reboxed Pico ADC 212/3, when you are using PC based hardware, the software is a major part of the complete product.  It will be interesting to see the differences between the two software packages and compare the performance, functionality, and features.

I'm sure no software engineer, but I do know how to break things Wink  I will post a report in due time.....

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

MattF-MN

Reply #9 - May 27th, 2004 at 10:18am

How exciting!  I can't wait to here your results...but I'd also like to hear about stuff as it happens. Smiley  I'd like to toss in some ideas of what to test or perform with it....if I can come up with any.   Tongue  Later, Matt.

dsomatt  
IP Logged