Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

212/3 questions (Read 3,036 times)
MarkW
Freshman Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

212/3 questions
Mar 24th, 2004 at 7:26am

Tom, thanks for dropping by the non-tech forum

It looks like the Pico attenuates thru the drop-down menu? vs using attenuated probes? Are "DSO" probes different or can BNC analog probes be used?

Also, must DSO-specific inductive current clamps be used (vs analog)?

In another vein - I may have overlooked this in the specs - is an adjustable delayed sweep offered w/the 212/3, and, if so, what automotive applications might that be useful for?

Adjustable level auto trigger? useful for...?

Better ability wrt difficult to acquire patterns? I sometimes have a particularly hard time with saturation injector PW, being only to "see" the pattern at one sweep speed on a couple of old analogs. I've heard that distributor-less ignition patterns can be difficult, but have no first-hand experience

Thanks,
Mark

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: 212/3 questions
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2004 at 9:41am

Hi Mark,

Quote:
It looks like the Pico attenuates thru the drop-down menu? vs using attenuated probes?

All the controls are software selectable.  You have multiple ranges up to +- 20 volts.  After attaching the included 20:1 attenuators you can range up to a 400 volt scale.  (you just have to tell the software you put them on).

Quote:
Are "DSO" probes different or can BNC analog probes be used?

DSO probes are not different but automotive use cables are usually better shielded.  There is a lot of RFI under the hood  Wink

Quote:
Also, must DSO-specific inductive current clamps be used (vs analog)?

The presets are designed for the attenuation ranges of the included low and high amp probes.  You could use something else, but might have to build your own ranges for them.  

The pricing of the kit package makes it an excellent value.  Purchasing the individual pieces adds up to the kit price long before you buy even half of the contents, as individual parts.  Also the software is designed for all the included probes and adapters so it all works well together.

Quote:
In another vein - I may have overlooked this in the specs - is an adjustable delayed sweep offered w/the 212/3, and, if so, what automotive applications might that be useful for?

Think this spec is not relevant to a DSO.  Like sample rate is irrelevant to analog.

Quote:
Better ability wrt difficult to acquire patterns? I sometimes have a particularly hard time with saturation injector PW, being only to "see" the pattern at one sweep speed on a couple of old analogs. I've heard that distributor-less ignition patterns can be difficult, but have no first-hand experience

The DSO ability to 'capture' a waveform allows you to examine it in detail.  You can save, print, email, catalog, add notes, take measurements, share, etc..etc.

DSOs are never live.  They take samples of the signal and then 'connect the dots'.  The more 'dots' you have the more accurate reconstruction of the actual signal you will have.  PicoScope outperforms so many DSOs because it captures many more samples.  This, combined with the 12 bit vetrtical resolution (4096 voltage levels), provide unprecedented resolution and detail.  You can also zoom in horizontally and vertically on any point of interest.

Using the trigger functions allow you to capture a signal on the screen so it is positioned how you wish.  Here is a thread on DIS with some pics:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=picopub;action=display;num=1075...

And some injector with attenuator discussion:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=picopub;action=display;num=1075...
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2006 at 9:27am by Tom Roberts »  

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged