Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Temp gauge goes to max and then normal (Read 3,943 times)
tbl
Freshman Member

Temp gauge goes to max and then normal
Feb 11th, 2004 at 7:20pm

Sorry for the long post.  This is a weird one.  95 Suburban K1500.  When the truck is warming up the in dash temp gauge goes to max for about 1 minute and then back down to normal.  The actual motor temp appears normal when gauge is max'd.  This issue appeared after rebuilding the motor.  I replaced the thermostat no change.  Drilled by-pass holes in stat to allow some flow when closed - seemed to help somewhat.  Checked sending unit resistance at 180 degree coolant temp and then loaded temp gauge lead at the sending unit with same resistance to ground while car was sitting with key on - gauge reading normal.  I should drive down the road with my resistor setup and see if the gauge moves while engine goes through it's warm up phase?  I'll report results within a couple days.

Monitored sending unit resistance when heating up.  Readings appear normal.  I checked engine ground to firewall ground - OK.  I suspect there still may be a ground issue since i get various radio interference from the motor.  Didn't notice this before motor rebuild.  I did measure current flow through meter between engine ground and inside under dash metal frame when increasing power consumption inside the vehicle.  Sorry, I don't recall the numbers.  I'll record some data on this too.  Sorry for the long post.  Have you seen this before?  Thanks for burning some brain cells on this one!

IP Logged

Drew Anderson
Freshman Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Temp gauge goes to max and then normal
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2004 at 1:38pm

Make sure the intake gaskets were put on properly.  The condition you describe is generaly caused by the gaskets being installed wrong and blocking the coolant ports.

IP Logged

Garrett
Freshman Member

Re: Temp gauge goes to max and then normal
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2004 at 9:11pm

Make sure you got a good bleed on the cooling system when you refilled it.  Any air in the system hanging out by your sensor could be causing this too.

IP Logged