Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pico is releasing Off-Highway Automotive Kits (Read 2,868 times)
TrevorSchlientz
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
Grand Rapids
Michigan
USA

Pico is releasing Off-Highway Automotive Kits
Sep 13th, 2022 at 6:33am

Good morning All,

Pico has announced today the release of a new line of Picoscope kits. These kits are targeted at Off-Highway and Heavy Duty vehicle diagnostics.

I will copy the announcement email below.

Today at Automechanika Frankfurt 2022, Pico Technology launched a set of new off-highway kits for Heavy-Duty vehicle and Off-Highway (HD-OH) equipment testing built around a dedicated PicoScope oscilloscope.

Created for fault diagnosis on trucks, tractors, forklifts, boats, combine harvesters, excavators and more, the off-highway kits contain a modified PS4425A PicoScope having additional protection to better withstand off-highway conditions. The scope is fully supported by Pico Technology’s class-leading, and free, PicoScope 7 Automotive software. The included accessories help users quickly connect and easily carry out non-intrusive and non-invasive measurements on a wide variety of systems and components found in these vehicles.

An initial set of ten HD-OH guided tests will be released (after launch) in the PicoScope 7 Automotive software to support the new PicoScope and kits. These cover tests across 24 V battery, Bosch Denoxtronic, J1939 communications, engine and hydraulic systems and include information and materials to help HD-OH technicians start their oscilloscope diagnostics journey. The tests were borne from the successful application of Pico Technology products to HD-OH diagnostic problems, as described by the many related case studies published on the Pico Automotive website, within newsletters, on the support forum, and by the growing community.

There are 3 kits, respectively labelled the Entry (PQ324), Expert (PQ331) and Elite (PQ332) kits. All kit accessories have been selected on their suitability for testing in the HD-OH environment. For example, 5 m test leads are included as standard to ensure that users have longer lead lengths available, as required to reach test locations around the vehicles and equipment encountered. Likewise, sets of breakout leads that fit typical HD-OH electrical system connectors are included to facilitate non-intrusive measurements on these specific vehicles and equipment.

In addition to the Entry kit contents, the Expert kit includes a WPS500X and accessories to allow users to carry out, for example, fuel, air intake and exhaust pressure testing. Additional breakout leads are also included. In addition to the Expert kit, the Elite kit includes dual WPS600C pressure transducers, suitable for hydraulic system testing. The Elite kit also features an additional current clamp to facilitate, for example, the testing of multiple electrical actuators.

The three Off-Highway kits are available immediately through distributors and, in due course, on the Pico Technology Automotive website (Pico Technology Off-highway kits).
(https://www.picoauto.com/landing-page/off-highway)

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

JÜJA
Picogroup

San Cristòbal de las Casas, Ch, Mexico
San Cristòbal de las Casas, Ch
Mexico

Re: Pico is releasing Off-Highway Automotive Kits
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 2:57am

Yesterday I was at Automechanika and will go there tomorrow again. If you want me to ask specific questions I can do so.

IMG_20220913_123453.jpg (3966 KB | 100 )
IMG_20220913_123453.jpg

IP Logged

TrevorSchlientz
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Grand Rapids
Michigan
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 10:57am

JÜJA wrote on Sep 14th, 2022 at 2:57am:
Yesterday I was at Automechanika and will go there tomorrow again. If you want me to ask specific questions I can do so.

Just say hello from Autonerdz to the guys.

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

JÜJA
Picogroup

San Cristòbal de las Casas, Ch, Mexico
San Cristòbal de las Casas, Ch
Mexico

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2022 at 9:56am

[/quote] Just say hello from Autonerdz to the guys. [/quote]

Done Smiley

IP Logged

WeldingJunkie
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Providence
Rhode Island
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2023 at 6:50pm

what is this kit they used?

pico_001.JPG (83 KB | 53 )
pico_001.JPG

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2023 at 10:59am

I have been wanting to see three phase equipment  for to use with PICO. Super tankers, container ships, the vessels in the oil industry, tugboats, commercial and government owned passenger vessels, larger fishing vessels all carry their own three phase power source - diesel generators and the investments in that equipment is enormous. The monitoring of it with scopes can be excellent preventive maintenance given we can record the equipment running in good condition and compare saved captures of that to captures taken later.
It is asinine that personnel in my industry - small fishing vessels, some with three phase, up to a hundred feet or so long, 32 meters or such - see oscilloscope use as 'rocket science'.
Amperage clamps, attenuators... What higher voltage I have scoped I have used our attenuators for...20 to 1 gives my 4423 about a 2000 volt capacity so I have used it on 240V single phase but tell me, what about spikes? Fluke teaches that lightning strikes or other accidents can shut down equipment, so I imagine I am taking chances nevertheless. I wonder if one could build a bluetooth attenuator module that merely captures the signal that would transmit to ones laptop, then to PICO scope and back to laptop for display?

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

TrevorSchlientz
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Grand Rapids
Michigan
USA

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2023 at 12:59pm

fisher, I think Pico already makes what you need. Its not considered "Automotive" equipment so I'd have to talk to Pico but I don't see it being an issue.

https://www.picotech.com/accessories/current-probes/30-300-3000-a-ac-3-phase-cur...

For voltage I have these in stock. Its good for up to 1400v
https://autonerdz.com/product/ta057/

TA325.jpg (25 KB | 43 )
TA325.jpg
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2023 at 6:42pm

Trevor, I am only talking simple voltage and amperage measurements on any of the three legs of power, not on circuits that cant be referenced to ground. Actually a multimeter fuse inline with the scope would probably be all that's necessary:" Arc flash occurs when the air space betwee two conductors loses it's insulating propertries. A plasma short is created that can pass all the current the supply provides, in the arc.
The arc flash produces temperatures of up to 35,000F and carry tens of thousands of amps in matter of fractions of seconds and causes an arc blast; vaporized metal exploding sending shrapnel and a thermo acoustic shock wave that deafens, injures, can kill." "During Arc Flash/ ARC Blast, acoustic wave is measured at 140 db,
Shrapnel is propelled at 740 MPH
Intense light causes eye damage including cataracts
Eardrums rupture for 720 lbs ft'  acoustic blast pressure
Superheated air surrounds body at 500 degrees F
Solid metal turns molten at over 1800 degrees F
Copper vaporizes ; solid to vapor expands 67,000 times causing penetration of PPE
Expansion of metals and air exceeds 2000 lbs ft'
Lungs are damaged when the pressure exceeds 1700 - 2160 lbs per ft' 1700-2160

There are 5 to 10 arc flash incidents daily in the U.S."

This all happens before the circuit breaker trips.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2023 at 7:29pm

So these quotes are from a course I took from the Fluke website. I didn't continue much after the safety part. You can see that folk building equipment to measure this equipment are faced with serious consequences if their equipment fails to perform as advertised. As I told you, I used an attenuator but that probably isn't all that smart... I think I can put a fuse inline with the scope, at that; a multimeter fuse comes to mind. I only am thinking of measurements as referenced to ground, for industrial equipment meant for folk as dumb as a box of rocks, like me.

'During Arc Flash/ ARC Blast, acoustic wave is measured at 140 db,
Shrapnel is propelled at 740 MPH
Intense light causes eye damage including cataracts
Eardrums rupture for 720 lbs ft'  acoustic blast pressure
Superheated air surrounds body at 500 degrees F
Solid metal turns molten at over 1800 degrees F
Copper vaporizes ; solid to vapor expands 67,000 times causing penetration of PPE
Expansion of metals and air exceeds 2000 lbs ft'
Lungs are damaged when the pressure exceeds 1700 - 2160 lbs per ft' 1700-2160

There are 5 to 10 arc flash incidents daily in the U.S.'
There is no PPE that protects well against Arc Blast.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #9 - Feb 17th, 2023 at 11:30am

It's the 800.00 for the differential probe, Trevor. The fact that it is designed for differential measurements when that isn't the concern; it's design makes it costly. The trend in safety measures is to err on the side of caution; make it safer than it need be in order to make damned sure you do your best to keep folk from being injured by your product. I dont care about the contacts without reference to ground; I want to be able to measure 480V and whatever amperage our motors and such draw with a probe that has an attenuator, and fuse and/or circuit breaker incorporated into it.
The three phases are three circuits of 480 (or240) volts each incorporated into the windings of a motor at 120 degrees apart from each other. If you hook into the three with your scope you will use three of your channels and the difference in time between peak events will display the 120 degrees. Their peaks ought be within about 10% of each other - in terms of amplitude - and amperage draw about 4%, also in terms of amplitude.
Don't just take my word for it. So, what one measures electrically when diagnosing any problems to start out with are whether or not the equipment has a proper power supply.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

TrevorSchlientz
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Grand Rapids
Michigan
USA

Reply #10 - Feb 17th, 2023 at 1:04pm

I'm not sure what to tell you fisher.

My entire life's experience with 3 phase mains power was when we lost a phase and it destroyed our air compressor motor at the old shop.

Beyond that all I know for certain is that differential probes are needed to measure mains power using a Picoscope. Attenuators do not raise the input voltage tolerance of the scope. They protect it from the transient spikes.

WWW WWW  
IP Logged