Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Hello everyone (Read 1,205 times)
MikeM40
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Milford, CT, Connecticut, USA
Milford, CT
Connecticut
USA

Hello everyone
Sep 15th, 2020 at 6:11pm

New to the group and hope to pick up a trick or two on the scope. I’m from Connecticut and have a been a transmission tech and rebuilder for 35 years. Most of the diagnostic and electrical work has been finding its way to me so I’ve had to expand my knowledge beyond just the driveline. I find I’m using a scope more than ever and this looks like a great place to learn.

Thanks,
Mike

IP Logged

kicksbutt
Guru Member
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

litchfield park az, Arizona, USA
litchfield park az
Arizona
USA

Re: Hello everyone
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2020 at 8:09pm

Welcome this group is amazing. You will not be disappointed

IP Logged

StitchB
Super Nerd
Picogroup

lake stevens, Washington, USA
lake stevens
Washington
USA

Re: Hello everyone
Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2020 at 8:14pm

MikeM40 wrote on Sep 15th, 2020 at 6:11pm:
New to the group and hope to pick up a trick or two on the scope. I’m from Connecticut and have a been a transmission tech and rebuilder for 35 years. Most of the diagnostic and electrical work has been finding its way to me so I’ve had to expand my knowledge beyond just the driveline. I find I’m using a scope more than ever and this looks like a great place to learn.

Mike, welcome.

Just went through the tour of hell on a failed stator in my 03 Dodge diesel, pulling while in drive and reverse.  No codes, everyone was clueless. Did a lot of searching and found one thread on a Diesel site stating unequivocally was a failing stator or the pump body warped and leaking into the TC circuit, the second issue is rare, but does happen.

When dealing with the first Trans Tech it was evident that the connection between the ECU and the TCM meant nothing to him, (Scary)  I left there talking to myself, could not get away fast enough, what a sad thing.

Truck is fixed but nailed it in my own mind as had the 5.9 diesel hooked up to the CPS, and the FCA and injector #1 to validate idle speed and any over fueling of the 6 injectors. Thus looking for uneven spots in the CPS on the math channel to validate if this was in fact and ECU issue or a down stream drag on the engine. Always makes you feel better about pulling the trigger on a 1500.00 repair, or do I drop 1500.00 on an ECU, then find out, you want to guess again????

Long story  was in the end failed sprags on the Stator, truck fixed now. The sad part is the dealer when reflashing the ECU did not have a clue this was a trans issue, neither did anybody that I talked to. Finally took a few hours to diagnose it myself and content it was not the ECU, must be the stator, had a trans guy I trust do the work.

I think a knowledgeable trans guy here on this forum could be of great input, DEAD SEROUS HERE. Plus the section on dealing with vibrations of which I am not that savvy could be very relevant for you in the drivelin game, think you have made a wise decision to add this tool to your fleet.

The pico is the tool you pull out when the scanner ends, not a replacement to it, but an addition. There are many systems I have learned in classes that you can only look at with a scope, mostly in trans and AC for instance, and the list keeps growing, much of it now using a micro amp probe. Don't see how you can loose on this.

Larry

IP Logged