Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Curve Tracing with Pico (Read 1,935 times)
Rafael Alvarado
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Dalton, Ga, Georgia, USA
Dalton, Ga
Georgia
USA

Curve Tracing with Pico
Dec 8th, 2019 at 3:15pm

Any one Curve Tracing? Seems like it's trending around the area. Some Techs are attempting be 100% sure when condemning an ECU for faulty divers. Specially the Chysler/Dodge and Nissan family products. And there are a few videos out there Curve Tracing the boards and "successfully" coming to a diagnostic. Heard of Techs ordering Curve Tracers from abroad for 400 to 500 US Dollar range because are for Automotive use..... we may have a new market for a "new tool" . Heck I thought about ordering some kits from Amazon for 30 bucks and sell them too.... Cool  Cheesy.

I was invited today to my Buddy's shop there was going to be someone demonstrating this NEW to me Technique, there were around 8 people only a few ever and even less ever used a real Oscilloscope. I Never seen a Curve Tracer until today  Embarrassed so it was a new experience for me too. The Gentlemen conducting the demonstration had a few Curve Tracer demos and while he was setting up I notice he had Oscilloscopes there too; I google it real quick and found the scopes On line for about 100.00.

Any way, he asked if we wanted to use our own scopes so we could see how easy it was to use. I didn't know if my Pico has the XY function and to be honest I had to use the user manual and the search functions. Needles to say I had it set up and running before some of the other people. while they were trying to dial offsets and I was done!!!
The fun part came when we were testing some of the Components in the ECM... We both tested the same component and had a different shape. Then we both used the same tracer.... I still had different shapes. I could google the shapes displayed with Pico.....his....not so sure.
Then he ended the Demo with something like this....The main thing is to look for patterns; but what about what a good known Trace is supposed to look like??

IP Logged

Steve J
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Brattvåg, Norway
Brattvåg
Norway

Re: Curve Tracing with Pico
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2019 at 11:02am

Curve tracers are cool. I actually have one in my diag cart at work, but never used it there. The one i got at home on the other hand...

IP Logged

Rafael Alvarado
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Dalton, Ga, Georgia, USA
Dalton, Ga
Georgia
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2019 at 8:36pm

I got me one this week. I think it will be part of my diagnostic tools. Tested a Toyota ECM with it.

IP Logged

Rafael Alvarado
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Dalton, Ga, Georgia, USA
Dalton, Ga
Georgia
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2019 at 4:54am

I must add, I got mine for about 50.00 Dlls. Not the 450.00 shown at my buddy's shop. I will be posting some pictures and captures with the Pico.

Thanks for looking in.

IP Logged