Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

97 Honda Accord. Best way to test TDC sensor? (Read 6,369 times)
william_wallace
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Savannah, Georgia, USA
Savannah
Georgia
USA

97 Honda Accord. Best way to test TDC sensor?
Aug 2nd, 2016 at 9:26am

I've got a 1997 honda accord EX 4CYL SOHC vTec 2.2L Auto. Stock. F22B1 Engine with 116k miles AND I suspect that the TDC sensor (which is part of a combination CKP/TDC sensor on this engine, located behind the timing cover) is bad. I have tested only the ohms, which is out of spec. However, this test isn't definitive.

Naturally, I wish to determine with reasonable certainty that this part is bad before I undertake this job or perhaps pay someone else to do it.

My two questions follow:

1. what is the cheapest tool or scope that I could purchase to achieve my goal? Please keep in mind: I have both a windows 10 & linux laptop (with wifi and bluetooth) that I could connect to this tool, AND also, the cost of the software, if not included in the tool purchase. I plan to sell this vehicle once repaired.

Or 2. Is there a member of this board or shop (or can you recommend someone?) near me who would use their scope to test this for me? I am willing to pay a reasonable fee.

Thanks!

IP Logged

buckbee
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Akron, Ohio, USA
Akron
Ohio
USA

Re: 97 Honda Accord. Best way to test TDC sensor?
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2016 at 9:51am

You could purchase a uScope. They are the cheapest i know of.  $139.00
http://www.aeswave.com/uScope-Basic-Kit-with-Adapter-p9275.html

IP Logged

AFM
Freshman Member
Picogroup

Autonerd N Training

Plantation, Florida, USA
Plantation
Florida
USA

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2016 at 11:53am

Here's one on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-on-DSO-2-channel-lab-scope-ac-dc-multimeter-/272327...

Looks like you will need some test leads though not sure what else.

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 12:40am

What was the spec for resistance and how many ohms resistance does your sensor show?

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

william_wallace
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Savannah, Georgia, USA
Savannah
Georgia
USA

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 11:56am

My haynes says the resistance of the TDC sensor should be 1800 to 2450 ohms.

It tested at 526 ohms.

Here's a concern I have: 1. I don't have direct access to the sensor. Which means I had to test the resistance by disconnecting the wires coming out of the timing chain cover AND these wires run inside the cover and combining BOTH sensors - so would this throw off my reading? And if it did, wouldn't haynes be aware of that? I mean, really, who would want to do all of the work of a timing job to test a sensor?  Maybe I'm being paranoid, but they don't say if this is a bench test or what. Also: 2. I've seen many a sensor (and coil, etc) to fail the resistance test (on the bench) but then to work fine on the car. and yeah, ok, I know... that's two concerns. LOL
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2016 at 12:47pm by william_wallace »  

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 4:37pm

The U-scope would be a cheap way for you to study the waveform pattern of the sensor. That would tell you what was right or wrong.
  Oscilloscopes are easy to figure out how to use. There are helpful how-to texts here and there.
Since you seem to be mechanically inclined buying the U-scope would be helpful to you anytime you were testing electrical in the future, so it's not like you are buying it for one time use.
Do you have a way to post a wiring diagram? It would tell you and I more about the circuit you are trying to test.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged