Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pico on a Tablet (Read 17,671 times)
AndrewH
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Memphis
Tennessee
USA

Pico on a Tablet
Jan 27th, 2015 at 9:12pm

My Old HP computer is on its third battery and i'm sick of buying new battery's for it. I was wondering if the pico can run on a tablet. was looking at the Samsung galaxy. thinking a tablet would be a better option for mobility. I always have to take my scope to the vehicles in a small shop that doesn't allow me to have a dedicated scope/computer cart.

IP Logged

JNelson
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Livermore, CA, California, USA
Livermore, CA
California
USA

Re: Pico on a Tablet
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:54am

Pico runs on Windows. Full Windows, not rt and not android. You could use a surface tablet.

IP Logged

jarvissamuel
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Denver Colorado, Colorado, USA
Denver Colorado
Colorado
USA

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:56am

Pico will run on a tablet as long as it is a windows operating system (except win 8 RT)

I picked up an Asus T100 that is form function like a tablet and can be used as such.  It also has a docking station that is a keyboard/mouse with a full size usb 3 port.

There may be a cable to adapt to the small usb on the table but I have not looked very hard.  A lot of the feature of the Pico scope 6 software work better using a mouse and keyboard than just the touch screen.

The one I picked up is at friendly price point, I payed about 400 for mine but financed it, they can be had for much less.  Here is a link;

ww.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_Transformer_Book_T100TA/

I imagine others manufactures are available as well, but this will at least give you something to consider.

Sam

IP Logged

AndrewH
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Memphis
Tennessee
USA

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 10:07am

Ok thanks. I guess I'm going to have to rethink that one then. I will definitely look into the Asus. Has it been a good computer for you Jarvis?

IP Logged

jarvissamuel
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Denver Colorado, Colorado, USA
Denver Colorado
Colorado
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 1:09pm

AndrewH wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 10:07am:
Ok thanks. I guess I'm going to have to rethink that one then. I will definitely look into the Asus. Has it been a good computer for you Jarvis?

Overall so far has been good.  Usually before I make a purchase I will check out the reviews on newegg or a similar site to get a feel for the product I am thinking of picking up.

The two major negative comments were trouble turning the machine on, and there was supposedly a BIOS update to correct that.  Mine to date has not experienced that issue.

The other is the clicking portion of the mouse is very stiff.  This I have experienced on mine.  It is not a deal breaker but at times annoying.  The T100 does have bluetooth and I am thinking about picking up a BT mouse for it.

Another minor negative it is a fingerprint magnet, but I don't really care about that myself.

It charges by a mini usb cable and does take some time to fully charge, but the battery life has been excellent so far.

The Pico is powered by usb so it does drain the battery a little faster, but has not been a big issue unless the battery is getting low.

The only other negative, and it is more of a personal preference is it is Windows 8.1, I prefer Windows 7.  Unfortunately the majority of computers are Win 8 now.

If you do pick one up or a similar machine I would suggest getting a good solid clipboard.  This is handy to set the computer on when under a hood or something of that sort.

Two things I forgot to mention form factor with the 10" screen is very good and handy using under hoods or in cabins.  It does suffer from the same glare issue most PC's have in sunlight.

Sam

IP Logged

crackerclicker
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Elevation 834 ft

Watertown, Wisconsin, USA
Watertown
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 5:52pm

Hi Andrew,

There are a lot of respectably powered Windows tablets out these days that are all fairly similar in specs (Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo, and more).  Intel's Bay Trail processors are taking these things to new limits.  Most of the name brand tablets that only have a micro USB port can be adapted with an "on the go", or OTG cable (Google it).  However, some tablets have a charge only port that can't be used with an OTG.  The next option would be to grab one that has a full size USB like Sam's T100, or a Dell Venue Pro 11.  Just be aware of the difference in raw computing power between a tablet and laptop or desktop.

crackerclicker  
IP Logged

AndrewH
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Memphis
Tennessee
USA

Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 11:10am

Thanks for all the Information. I ended up going with an Asus Tranformer Book T100TA-C1-RDS. Probably very close to the one you have sam. So far its been good. I'm really pleased with it. I paid about 350$ all said and done. As a bonus it comes with Microsoft office. After pricing out all my options this was the most bang for my buck.

IP Logged

Ginocar
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Budapest, Hungary
Budapest
Hungary

Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 3:55am

Hi colleagues,
I also use my picoscope on tablet. My pc is Toshiba Encore 2 tablet (~280$) with Windows 8.1 OS and work well.
BR

IP Logged

DennisCollatos
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Burbank, CA, California, USA
Burbank, CA
California
USA

Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 8:59am

resurrecting this thread for one question. I bought a Toughbook H2 but it will not zoom with drag box unless I plug a mouse in.

which tablets are working with zoom drag boxes? someone told me his surface pro doesnt work 

IP Logged

autosparky
Super Nerd
Picogroup

blind worker

Porirua, New Zealand
Porirua
New Zealand

Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 12:49am

I'm finding my Toughbook CF31 a bit heavy and clunky these days, but I do get 3.5hours with Pico,

Thinking of buying Surface Pro6 but wondering how you guys find the battery life on your machines??

I struggle to find a power source running a mobile business

can't see, can't hear, can't remember

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh, Victoria, Australia
Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 12:58am

Try running an inverter off a battery
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2019 at 1:22am by Logic »  
WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

autosparky
Super Nerd
Picogroup

blind worker

Porirua, New Zealand
Porirua
New Zealand

Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2019 at 2:21am

I've got a cheap inverter and it generates too much interference, it's ok to keep the laptop going but then I have to unplug it when I want to save a waveform.

A good inverter is gonna cost me $300 then it's another annoying gadget to lug around

IP Logged

Spence
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Jeffersonville, Pennsylvania, USA
Jeffersonville
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #12 - Apr 20th, 2019 at 9:50am

autosparky wrote on Apr 14th, 2019 at 12:49am:
I'm finding my Toughbook CF31 a bit heavy and clunky these days.

Have you tried a gym membership? 

autosparky wrote on Apr 14th, 2019 at 12:49am:
but I do get 3.5hours with Pico,

I struggle to find a power source running a mobile business

I have a charger and spare batteries ready to rock.

My CF-30 has two batteries that I wish my two CF-31's could use. The second one goes in the DVD bay. My two CF-31s have an i5 processor which is why I am told the second battery does not fit(work). If I find a CF-31 with an i3 I am told then I can install a second battery. I have not confirmed this but am looking for one as I could use another laptop.

N.B.S.   Dilly Dilly!  FJB
WWW WWW spencedecordre  
IP Logged

autosparky
Super Nerd
Picogroup

blind worker

Porirua, New Zealand
Porirua
New Zealand

Reply #13 - May 20th, 2019 at 1:50am

Spence wrote on Apr 20th, 2019 at 9:50am:
My CF-30 has two batteries that I wish my two CF-31's could use. The second one goes in the DVD bay. My two CF-31s have an i5 processor which is why I am told the second battery does not fit(work). If I find a CF-31 with an i3 I am told then I can install a second battery. I have not confirmed this but am looking for one as I could use another laptop.

I got told because I have SD slot then I couldn't have a 2nd battery  Sad

Spence wrote on Apr 20th, 2019 at 9:50am:
Have you tried a gym membership? 

took me over 3 years to crack 60kg THANK YOU VERY MUCH

IP Logged