Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 
Master Certified Tech? How to find out? (Read 100,443 times)
BMW Dave
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Winston Salem
North Carolina
USA

Master Certified Tech? How to find out?
Jan 26th, 2014 at 4:04am

I saw recently one of the posters on this forum had little
formal training back in May and now is a Master Certified Technician and Cerified Mercedes Technican according to their website? Sounds pretty fishy to me.. Is their a way verify this. Thanks in advance.  "BMW Master Certified Technician Mercedes Certified Technician Over 7+ years of experience"

IP Logged

BMW Dave
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Winston Salem
North Carolina
USA

Re: Master Certified Tech? How to find out?
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2014 at 7:33am

Thanks for the PM. I'll contact Those and see what their record shows.  Have a nice day..  Smiley

IP Logged

Daniel
Super Nerd

Europe, Denmark
Europe
Denmark

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2014 at 8:03am

One thing I don’t like about PM’s is like this, it leaves the rest of us that would have learned something about this question unanswered.  Sad

BTW welcome to the forum.  Smiley

Daniel R. Knudsen 
WWW WWW sengeloeseautogaard  
IP Logged

BMW Dave
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Winston Salem
North Carolina
USA

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2014 at 8:35am

Sorry Daniel...I'm wasn't familiar with the certification process but had an imposter nearly ruin one of my cars.. two ways is on send a request for employee verification to
AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE EXCELLENCE

101 Blue Seal Drive, S.E. Suite 101
Leesburg, VA 20175

Hours:  8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Eastern time, Monday - Friday, except Holidays
Switchboard:  1-703-669-6600
Fax: 1-703-669-6127
E-mail:  webmaster@ase.com
request a PDF form

the other is to contact BMW Step and they will
send you a request form as well.

Thank You for the welcome.

I should have known when I pulled up and saw this ..

junk.jpg (59 KB | 461 )
junk.jpg

IP Logged

BMW Dave
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Winston Salem
North Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:33pm

Certified Master BMW Technician
BMW Master Technician
5 Years as a BMW Technician

Training Requirements:
ST043 - 2002 System Diag ST042 - E65 - Complete Vehicle
ST050 - Technical Systems
ST051 - Body Electronics l
ST052 - Body Electonics ll
ST055 - Engine Electronics
ST054 - Climate Control
ST034 - E46 Complete Vehicle
ST036 - X5 Complete Vehicle
ST037 - M5 Complete Vehicle
ST041 - Ms Complete Vehicle
ST056 - Chassis Dynamics
ST057 - Electronic Trans.
ST061 - Body Adjustments
MORE INFO HERE
http://www.timthomson.com/portfolioPgs/websites/BMWWS/requirements.asp

IP Logged

BMW Dave
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Winston Salem
North Carolina
USA

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2014 at 3:11pm

Most reputable BMW repair shops will display evidence of membership in automotive professional affiliations. Groups such as ASE (Automotive Service Excellence), ASA (Automotive Service Association), and iATN hold their members to high ethical standards and rigorous technician certification requirements. There are also BMW specific professional associations such as BIMRS that accept only the most specialized BMW experts. If you see any seals or certificates get a tow truck as quick as you can and get your car out of there  before some ham fist gets a hold of it .. 
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2014 at 3:31pm by BMW Dave »  

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh, Victoria, Australia
Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2014 at 10:37pm

Could you please explain what this thread is about?

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Jose aka superskyliner
Guru Member
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

95653, California, USA
California
USA

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2014 at 10:43pm

I'm confused as well...

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2014 at 10:50pm

If it is saying you have to be a BMW master Tech , having performed a number of BMW ST courses, I say this, A BMW master tech is the last person I would ever employ.

How ignorant they are at BMW dealers.

Less ignorant after they get off the phone from me when they seek help.

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

andyz
Freshman Member

Perth Australia, Western Australia, Australia
Perth Australia
Western Australia
Australia

Reply #9 - Jan 28th, 2014 at 5:24am

How ignorant they are at BMW dealers.

Logic,

You are making a very sweeping statement about all technicians at BMW dealers.
I can't comment on the quality of technician you have been dealing with, but I don't think it's fair to imply that the standard at all BMW dealers is bad.

From what i have seen, the roles of a technician at a dealer and at an 'after market' workshop are completely different and you definitely get good and bad technicians in either.

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #10 - Jan 28th, 2014 at 5:45am

Sorry mate, I'm well qualified to make the statements that I make.

I have had 37 years in the business and listen to stories from car owners every day about their experiences at the dealer.

I will agree however that the non dealer workshops may leave a lot go be desired also.

At times I mediate between BMW owners and BMW where the owners have issues with the work and performance.

Whilst we are on the subject BMW does not provide their techs with adequate training and their documentation is poor.

Last seek I was reading a document about the specifications of the brake booster vacuum sensor, a good proportion of the document was clearly wrong.

The next point that I will raise pertains go the very reason we are all here.

Are you aware of the OSCILLOSCOPE capacity a BMW dealer workshop has?

I will leave that as a rhetorical question.

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

andyz
Freshman Member

Perth Australia
Western Australia
Australia

Reply #11 - Jan 28th, 2014 at 7:00am

Whilst we are on the subject BMW does not provide their techs with adequate training and their documentation is poor.

In my experience this is certainly true. But some countries are better than others.

I am only too well aware of the inadequacies of the diagnostic tools available at dealer level. I have been struggling daily against these problems for twenty years!
The technicians hands are tied. In most cases there is no choice but to follow BMW diagnostic flow charts. In 99% of these there are errors in the information or wiring diagrams or both.
Good technicians forced to use inferior tools and rely on inferior information = poor quality outcome for customer.

I found out a long time ago, the only way I was personally ever going to get any sort of job satisfaction was to buy as much of my own diagnostic gear as possible (pico setup etc) and use it together with knowledge built from BMW training AND external sources such this forum.
When it comes to fixing BMW's i also like to think that I am not ignorant.  Smiley

IP Logged

BMW Dave
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Winston Salem
North Carolina
USA

Reply #12 - Jan 28th, 2014 at 8:15am

If you will read my original post it reads.."I saw recently one of the posters on this forum had little formal training back in May and now is a Master Certified Technician and Certified Mercedes Technican according to their website? Sounds pretty fishy to me.. Is their a way verify this"

I was wondering how guy with little formal training could have become a Master BMW techniann is 7 months?? Also states on the website I got hooked from their techs are all of a sudden Master BMW factory trained techs when they never worked at a factory trained garage.. I do understand what your saying about book smart versus experienced.. if your not constantly being updated on the new models it would be very difficult to work on unfamiliar cars  especially if your shop doesn't have the proper un to date equipment and tools.. just because your skilled at working on a 86 BMW doesn't make you prepared to work on a 2013 BMW M6

IP Logged

Jose aka superskyliner
Guru Member
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

95653, California, USA
California
USA

Reply #13 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 12:15am

Logic wrote on Jan 28th, 2014 at 5:45am:

Most BMW dealerships in the US are franchises meaning ultimately they are privately owned just like many independents and the level of training of the techs can vary depending on how much the owner/manager of the franchise wants to invest in training

BMW has actually had oscilloscopes built into every one of their diagnostic platforms as far as I can remember ( DisPlus, GT1/IMIB, and ISTA/D IMIB

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #14 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 12:31am

DAVE,

I do not know where  you are working, but if you are working at a BMW dealer which narrows it down to one,(FATOOYWBFIBN) then you are violating the BMW Australia dictates by using superior self funded equipment.

And while talking about an 1986 6 series verses a 2013 M6 , if I try and make a warranty claim on a battery that I purchased from a dealer for the 86 635 E24 then in order to get that warranty I must get a ISTA report at a dealer in order to get warranty....say no more.

While on the subject want the phone number of a fellow with a 800km old Active Hybrid 5 series where BMW Australia roadside assist could not get the car going and I did it via SMS to the owner whilst attending a wedding?

Ask and I will give you his phone number!

As far as Master Tech certification is concerned, still do not get what you are talking about, but do you think for one moment that all the web sites that you see claiming "BMW Factory Trained Techs" are all BMW trained?
They are mostly people now wanting to work on BMWs who once worked in a factory....could have been the baked bean canning line at Heinz .

I can buy a degree over the net, why should I not be able to make claims about my qualifications to work on BMW cars which are total fiction?

It makes me sick to the gut.

If you have evidence that a person posting here is being fraudulent with respect to their credentials, then I suggest that you run it past Tom and on the basis of his sanction reveal who it is.

If you are a true Autonerdz member then in future post in the members section and be part of the information that is available there.

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #15 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 1:01am

Jose aka superskyliner wrote on Jan 29th, 2014 at 12:15am:
Logic wrote on Jan 28th, 2014 at 5:45am:

BMW has actually had oscilloscopes built into every one of their diagnostic platforms as far as I can remember ( DisPlus, GT1/IMIB, and ISTA/D IMIB

Would you like to expand upon that and the specifications of the BMW DIS Plus Scope.

Guess you would then refer to the BMW published scope patterns.

Then you might want to refer to the BMW google translated technical document, naturally written on the fly by any one of 100 technical writers with scant regard to content or consistent nomenclature.

For instance E39 three piece folding roof dependant on which document you refer to there are a possible four different naming terms for each of the fifteen switches in the roof.

Word of warning, do not use the BMW switch status verses service position tables in analysis......as they are wrong !

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #16 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 1:02am

Sorry E93 not E39

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

BMW Dave
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Winston Salem
North Carolina
USA

Reply #17 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 6:19am

Aaaarggghhh.  I give up ...I never said he pretended to be a master tech here????  My post stated
I saw recently one of the posters on this forum had little
formal training back in May and now is a Master Certified Technician and Cerified Mercedes Technican according to their website? Sounds pretty fishy to me.. Is their a way verify this. Thanks in advance. 
anyhow my question was answered.  He's a fraud.
To simplify ... On autonerdz he's a beginner and on the website he works at he's a BMW Master Certified Technician..  I'm not a technician that's why I posted in this forum.  Anyhow have a good day...

IP Logged

andyz
Freshman Member

Perth Australia
Western Australia
Australia

Reply #18 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 3:54pm

Hi Dave,
Just so there is no confusion, can I just confirm you are not referring to me?

Apologies if I contributed to derailing your thread on the forum. This was not my intention.

Thanks

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #19 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 10:43pm

Logic wrote on Jan 29th, 2014 at 12:31am:
DAVE,

I do not know where  you are working, but if you are working at a BMW dealer which narrows it down to one,(FATOOYWBFIBN) then you are violating the BMW Australia dictates by using superior self funded equipment.

And while talking about an 1986 6 series verses a 2013 M6 , if I try and make a warranty claim on a battery that I purchased from a dealer for the 86 635 E24 then in order to get that warranty I must get a ISTA report at a dealer in order to get warranty....say no more.

While on the subject want the phone number of a fellow with a 800km old Active Hybrid 5 series where BMW Australia roadside assist could not get the car going and I did it via SMS to the owner whilst attending a wedding?

Ask and I will give you his phone number!

As far as Master Tech certification is concerned, still do not get what you are talking about, but do you think for one moment that all the web sites that you see claiming "BMW Factory Trained Techs" are all BMW trained?
They are mostly people now wanting to work on BMWs who once worked in a factory....could have been the baked bean canning line at Heinz .

I can buy a degree over the net, why should I not be able to make claims about my qualifications to work on BMW cars which are total fiction?

It makes me sick to the gut.

If you have evidence that a person posting here is being fraudulent with respect to their credentials, then I suggest that you run it past Tom and on the basis of his sanction reveal who it is.

If you are a true Autonerdz member then in future post in the members section and be part of the information that is available there.

Apologies Gentlemen, the post above is for Andyz not Dave.

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #20 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 10:45pm

Tom,
Just so that you know what I'm getting at in Australia a BMW technician must use BMW test plans and BMW certified and supplied equipment.

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

andyz
Freshman Member

Perth Australia
Western Australia
Australia

Reply #21 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 4:55am

BMW Dave.
Apologies if i derailed your thread.
This will also be my last post on the subject too.
I am totally bewildered at where this thread has gone.
I feel i am personally having to defend myself for no reason whatsoever.
Logic, if you read back this entire thread you will see you have incorrectly quoted me or completely misunderstand me on several occasions. It was BMW Dave that was questioning the credentials of another member not me - and i see nothing wrong with him doing that.
You go on to suggest I am working outside BMW protocols by using my own equipment. At no time did i say i didn't use BMW equipment. I simply said I also have all my own diagnostic tools - and these I often use to confirm a diagnosis or to get a higher level of understanding of sensor signals etc.
I also have not said the workshop i work in does not have its own scope. I just find it is not user friendly and does not offer the same resolution etc. If i use it i usually go back with the picoscope to save my own captures - time permitting.
I will finish by saying again what i said in my original posts - and hopefully this time I won't get dragged across the coals for making a couple of observations.

1.There are generally good and bad technicians in all workshops. It is not correct to suggest that if a technician is working at a dealership he is ignorant.

2.BMW equipment is generally not user friendly and technical information is often not accurate - making the job of even good technicians difficult.

Good day to you.

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #22 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 8:58am

andyz wrote on Jan 30th, 2014 at 4:55am:
BMW Dave.
Apologies if i derailed your thread.
This will also be my last post on the subject too.
I am totally bewildered at where this thread has gone.
I feel i am personally having to defend myself for no reason whatsoever.
Logic, if you read back this entire thread you will see you have incorrectly quoted me or completely misunderstand me on several occasions. It was BMW Dave that was questioning the credentials of another member not me - and i see nothing wrong with him doing that.
You go on to suggest I am working outside BMW protocols by using my own equipment. At no time did i say i didn't use BMW equipment. I simply said I also have all my own diagnostic tools - and these I often use to confirm a diagnosis or to get a higher level of understanding of sensor signals etc.
I also have not said the workshop i work in does not have its own scope. I just find it is not user friendly and does not offer the same resolution etc. If i use it i usually go back with the picoscope to save my own captures - time permitting.
I will finish by saying again what i said in my original posts - and hopefully this time I won't get dragged across the coals for making a couple of observations.

1.There are generally good and bad technicians in all workshops. It is not correct to suggest that if a technician is working at a dealership he is ignorant.

2.BMW equipment is generally not user friendly and technical information is often not accurate - making the job of even good technicians difficult.

Good day to you.

Andyz,

I have not mis quoted you nor mis understood you, I have certainly not indicated that you work outside BMW guidelines...for I do not even know if you work for a dealer, I suspect you do but do not know it.

I don’t know who you are and have no reason to make accusations, attack you or single you out…you are doing that yourself, I would suggest that you rethink your reaction.

My experience is that this is a open and good forum where people are willing to help each other and I certainly adhere to that custom here.

You state “ and these I often use to confirm a diagnosis or to get a higher level of understanding of sensor signals etc”, I note from your profile that all of your posts that are currently visible from your profile, all 25 of them are made in the public section, do you not have access to the members area?

Assuming that you do not have this access, then you have missed out on quite a lot of specific BMW information, I have posted a raft of BMW sensor custom probes, as I delight in reverse engineering the simple sensors and creating custom probes from them, which I will readily and freely share exclusively with any Autonerdz Picogroup Area member, I note I do not publish these probes in the General Public area.

If in fact you have subscribed to the Picogroup area you are welcome to down load my probes and use them for your personal use.

What I stated about BMW guidelines is true across the board........a technician at a dealer is not permitted to use tools outside the BMW recommended tool set. You know that so please do not get offended at the truth!

Also a BMW dealer is discouraged from charging significant time for diagnosis..

There is a simple reason for this, BMW claim to customers that the dealer network is superior in every way and that only a BMW dealer has the tools and equipment to work on a BMW car. They further claim to the public in support of their claim that the BMW testing system makes diagnosis unnecessary outside of the diagnostic machine “AS THE BMW TESTER TELLS YOU EVERYTHING”, NATURALLY IF A DEALER TECH CANNOT DIAGNOSE THE VEHICLE WITHIN A SHORT SPACE OF TIME USING THE bmw TESTER AND TEST PLANS, THEN WE TURN IT INTO A puma CASE AND THE ISSUE IS DEALT WITH BY A German engineer, who instructs the dealer what to replace, taking away any further diagnostic opportunity from the dealer technician. Now that is a great way to hone one’s skill is it not?

Perhaps this is the reason why BMW dealer technicians are greatly ignorant.

Further BMW could have access to the best oscilloscope in the world…and I will admit that BMW Australia do have a Picoscope…ONE, and it is an old outdated 2 channel model.

In terms of you claiming that you are having to defend yourself...I fail to see that anybody has accused you of any thing...for it was you who chimed in saying "Hi Dave,
Just so there is no confusion, can I just confirm you are not referring to me?"

I fail to see how you could become offended...please explain?

Further you state that "From what i have seen, the roles of a technician at a dealer and at an 'after market' workshop are completely different and you definitely get good and bad technicians in either.
"
As far as I can see it the roles ought to be the same, we should be there to fix customers cars and in the case of a BMW dealer perform warranty work as well. (I might add the common practice of making false claims on warranty with BMW is also fraudulent and any person who works at a dealer who engages with others at that dealership to defraud BMW with false warranty claims could be criminally charged and found guilty of conspiracy)

Of course and independent can analyse a bad battery in an old E24 without a ISTA report !

For all other readers of this post an old 1986 BMW E24 635 predates modern BMW diagnostics, you cannot even plug a BMW Group tester, ISIS, ISTA,GT1 or any other BMW approved tester into these cars, yet if you purchase a battery from BMW and it fails in you E24 then BMW WILL NOT GIVE YOU WARRANTY UNLESS IT HAS A ISTA REPORT PERFORMED ON THE CAR....WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE AS YOU CANNOT CONNECT TO IT!!!!

The reason that BMW will not give warranty without a diagnostic report on their machines is due to the high frequency of both mis diagnosis and fraudulent claims for warranty by BMWs own dealers.

I fail to see how you describe independent workshops as being and specifically highlighted as "aftermarket", would you please explain why you use that term and why the emphasis upon it.?

The thread was not started by me and I did not seek to single you out at all, you have volunteered yourself for all the offence to you, at your own hand that you, for no reason apparently feel.

I asked Dave to qualify what he was posting about, I was not the only one, I fail to see why you would want to make out that this is an attack upon you?

I certainly pointed out that many people make claims about being tertiary graduates when they are not and also independent workshops making false claims that they have BMW Factory trained technicians when they do not..surely your experiences would also support my statement there?

Dave has still not adequately explained his original post, however that is a matter for him to correct.

Take a chill pill mate!

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #23 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 9:00am

Ahh also Andyz, If you want a job where you can freely use your Picoscope, or even have a new one purchased for you from Autonerdz with a Picogroup area subscription, I can arrange an interview for you in Perth Wink

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Gail Taylor

I'm an Autonerd

Wendell North Carolina, North Carolina, USA
Wendell North Carolina
North Carolina
USA

Reply #24 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 10:33am

You come across, from my perspective, as being REALLY PISSED-OFF! Not sure why?

Aftermarket is a term used to describe a non-OEM built part or a shop w/o factory support.

Surprised that was so hard for you to follow? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #25 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 12:07pm

Gail Taylor wrote on Jan 30th, 2014 at 10:33am:

Aftermarket is a term used to describe a non-OEM built part or a shop w/o factory support.

Not at all,

Aftermarket is a term used to describe non genunine parts, not independent workshops.

My post was to point out to a fellow that he was painting himself into a corner, nobody was having a shot at him.

Why would you chime in on that?

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Gail Taylor

I'm an Autonerd

Wendell North Carolina
North Carolina
USA

Reply #26 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 12:24pm

Logic wrote on Jan 30th, 2014 at 12:07pm:
Gail Taylor wrote on Jan 30th, 2014 at 10:33am:

Not at all,

Aftermarket is a term used to describe non genunine parts, not independent workshops.

My post was to point out to a fellow that he was painting himself into a corner, nobody was having a shot at him.

Why would you chime in on that?

I'm done. Good luck, "mate"... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Matt H
Guru Member
Picogroup

Japan, Japan
Japan
Japan

Reply #27 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 7:45pm

Logic wrote on Jan 30th, 2014 at 8:58am:
They further claim to the public in support of their claim that the BMW testing system makes diagnosis unnecessary outside of the diagnostic machine “AS THE BMW TESTER TELLS YOU EVERYTHING”,

$25,000 plus subs, and it damn-well better to be able to tell you everything!  Smiley

Interesting to learn that BMW, as complicated as they can be electronically, don't use a scope. The factory tool for Toyota here has a two channel scope, and the SI has published waveforms...even for knock sensors. I guess they want you to verify the part is defective before just replacing it (like a good tech should).

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #28 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 10:17pm

MJR ,
It is shocking..the support is very poor.

Also if you are not good on the floor of the workshop they promote you to service advisor..

Unbelievable

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #29 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 10:19pm

Then on top of it despite all the hype, dishonest charging, miss diagnosis and over the top hourly rate...they still lose a million dollars a year!

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Gail Taylor

I'm an Autonerd

Wendell North Carolina
North Carolina
USA

Reply #30 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 7:52am

Logic wrote on Jan 30th, 2014 at 10:19pm:
Then on top of it despite all the hype, dishonest charging, miss diagnosis and over the top hourly rate...they still lose a million dollars a year!

Guess I'm not done! I misunderstood your opinion on BMW Dealer service. I have ZERO experience with BMW dealers and nearly no experience in servicing them, but I do find it somewhat "comforting" that someone else feels the info available is lacking.

I thought you were inferring anyone NOT in a dealership shouldn't touch these vehicles and were being unethical for even attempting a repair.

Apparently I was seeing something that wasn't there. Embarrassed Cry

Grin

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #31 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 10:17am

Gail,

I was being critical of BMW and specifically the German Australian setup.

BMW USA are better than BMW Australia.

BMW Australia thinks that it is their God given right to be the only ones that work on BMW Cars.

I believe that customers have the right to choose, that any person who wants to excel at his craft should be able to freely do so and should be encouraged to do so.

Dealers are greatly misguided as to their importance in the scheme of things, they survive by filling customers minds with lies ans through BMW withholding information and tooling (I might note that neither of these are a problem for me).

No I was not inferring that dealers are the only ones that can do the work, dealers are the ones that say that, fact is when they need to go outside the BMW test plans....they are in trouble....big trouble.

I will give you one summary, I fixed a car that a local dealer had not been able to fix last year in December.
7k had already been spent trying to fix it at the dealer, they had quoted another 10.3k and on top of that the particulate filter was blocked, had the dealer replaced that too, which is how they deal with particulate filters at that dealer, the bill would have been 22k.

I got the opportunity.....my bill was $500...

I might add I also got a very large and expensive bottle of single malt at Christmas from this new customer.

I might post a photo of all the bottles that came in at Christmas

I have saved ex dealer customers over a 1/4 million dollars on transmissions in the last three years.

No Gail, I think the dealers really have some issues and soul searching, all these wonderful over priced facilities, and no skill.

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Gail Taylor

I'm an Autonerd

Wendell North Carolina
North Carolina
USA

Reply #32 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 12:34pm

Logic wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 10:17am:
No Gail, I think the dealers really have some issues and soul searching, all these wonderful over priced facilities, and no skill.

Unfortunately the real problem isn't so much a lack of skill as it is a lack of "want to" when it comes to fixing the tough stuff. Why bust your butt trying to figure-out a problem child when you can make 4 times as much selling services?

I disagree completely with that attitude but for every tech that's busting his buns on the hard stuff, resulting in less "productivity" than his workmates, there are 10 guys sucking up gravy.

Guess who the General Manger knows by name.

The guys that turn the big numbers.  Angry

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #33 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 3:51pm

Then Gail, clearly you and I have no bad blood between us then.

I believe that the fellow who does the hard yards is really the productive one.

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Gail Taylor

I'm an Autonerd

Wendell North Carolina
North Carolina
USA

Reply #34 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 5:16pm

Logic wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 3:51pm:
Then Gail, clearly you and I have no bad blood between us then.

I believe that the fellow who does the hard yards is really the productive one.

In this area it's all about the numbers. If you aren't producing 110% they don't know your name. Sad

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #35 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 5:47pm

They all know my name

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Anthony Lamb
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

Reply #36 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 7:03pm

Thanks for posting that Logic, it has turned me off ever working for a BMW dealer Smiley.

NATURALLY IF A DEALER TECH CANNOT DIAGNOSE THE VEHICLE WITHIN A SHORT SPACE OF TIME USING THE bmw TESTER AND TEST PLANS, THEN WE TURN IT INTO A puma CASE AND THE ISSUE IS DEALT WITH BY A German engineer, who instructs the dealer what to replace, taking away any further diagnostic opportunity from the dealer technician. Now that is a great way to hone one’s skill is it not?

Obviously BMW don't want anyone working in a dealer to have any skills apart from changing parts, must be the main reason why they have such a large turn over of technicians. They must only want to keep all the knowledge in the inner ring of engineers a world away.

IP Logged

crackerclicker
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Elevation 834 ft

Watertown, Wisconsin, USA
Watertown
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #37 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 7:40pm

I note from your profile that all of your posts that are currently visible from your profile, all 25 of them are made in the public section, do you not have access to the members area?

If someone is Picogroup, it will say so directly beneath their username.

crackerclicker  
IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #38 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 11:28pm

Anthony Lamb wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 7:03pm:
Thanks for posting that Logic, it has turned me off ever working for a BMW dealer Smiley.

Obviously BMW don't want anyone working in a dealer to have any skills apart from changing parts, must be the main reason why they have such a large turn over of technicians. They must only want to keep all the knowledge in the inner ring of engineers a world away.

Do you want to know why?

It is simple, teach a master tech how to fix BMW cars without the support structure so that he is capable of repairing vehicles by looking at a diagnostic machine, wiring diagrams and tools like a Picoscope and that tech may leave and start up as a independent.

Now BMW would not want that.

Keep them dumb with only what they need to know is the policy.

Then they get indoctrinated that anybody who is independent is "aftermarket" and does not know what they are doing.

They fill BMW owners with the same crap, then employ young girls with their tits popping out on high heals that they can hardly walk on to flirt with every man who comes in...

The dealers think people don't see through it....well I have news for you they do see through it.

A lot of businesses are confused about what their purpose is, BMW has lost their way.

In Australia in the good old days when Ron Meacham was at the helm and Grahame McDougall was head of training, what a fine organization it was back then.

No, there is no way you would want to work for a BMW dealer nor employ somebody who has worked at one.

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #39 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 11:38pm

Oh by the way Anthony,....with the F cars you can now only get a schematic when logged into BMW, there is no more WDS (wiring diagram system),

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #40 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 11:38pm

As a dealer that is !

No "aftermarket" allowed in Australia

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Brad H
Super Nerd

Elevation 367 metres

Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, Australia
Kalgoorlie
Western Australia
Australia

Reply #41 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:47am

Logic wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 11:38pm:
with the F cars you can now only get a schematic when logged into BMW, there is no more WDS (wiring diagram system

So how do you 'work around' that Ian?
Do you see your days as a "dealer alternative" numbered regarding the newer models?

DILLIGAF
blmechanical  
IP Logged

Anthony Lamb
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

Reply #42 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 3:13am

Logic wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 11:28pm:
It is simple, teach a master tech how to fix BMW cars without the support structure so that he is capable of repairing vehicles by looking at a diagnostic machine, wiring diagrams and tools like a Picoscope and that tech may leave and start up as a independent.

Yes I see that BMW sees that as a threat to themselves.
but they shouldn't be looking at it that way, surely it would cost them more on warranty claims by having poorly trained technicians and poor service information.

Oh by the way Anthony,....with the F cars you can now only get a schematic when logged into BMW, there is no more WDS (wiring diagram system)

Well that is major PITA.
Does seem counter intuitive that BMW is giving it's dealers less information to diagnose cars that are getting more and more complex.
BMW seem they want the warranty period to be over so they don't care how many parts get thrown at a car as they are making a fortune in parts in the process.

I think the dealers really have some issues and soul searching, all these wonderful over priced facilities, and no skill.

Sadly I can say that isn't just limited to BMW dealers...
This is another thread in itself.

Dave,
On the master tech certification side of things in the dealer world/land.
From personal experience you turn up you pretty much pass that cert.
So there are heaps of dealer "certified" in different areas or even master technicians that still don't understand the basic things like voltage drop, how to use a scanner or a scope.
Looks good to have all these certificates on the wall on the waiting room for customers to see, in reality the tech is good at throwing parts but not at solving the actual problem.
As to find out I couldn't really say you could verify them here in Australia without being in that certain dealer network.

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #43 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 7:52am

Anthony Lamb wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 3:13am:
Yes I see that BMW sees that as a threat to themselves.
but they shouldn't be looking at it that way, surely it would cost them more on warranty claims by having poorly trained technicians and poor service information. )

It does and big time along with fraudulent claims from dealers, that is why you have stupid warranty requirements where an old 1986 E24 needs a ISTA report to do a claim on a battery warranty, a car that cannot be connected to ISTA.

Mind you BMW make it very difficult for an independent to make a warranty claim at all.

What is interesting is that my warranty claims on parts is virtually zero, far less than the dealers warranty claims as a percentage of parts used….and you know why that is don’t you?

Oh by the way Anthony,....with the F cars you can now only get a schematic when logged into BMW, there is no more WDS (wiring diagram system)

Does seem counter intuitive that BMW is giving its dealers less information to diagnose cars that are getting more and more complex.
BMW seem they want the warranty period to be over so they don't care how many parts get thrown at a car as they are making a fortune in parts in the process. ) [/quote]

Bit like Microsoft, you get paid for your mistakes.

Then there is the spike in issues that dealers find at 100,000km where the customer is charged a big wad of money, when the customer protests 7k into it he is taken to the new car showroom…..I see it over and over and over…

I think the dealers really have some issues and soul searching, all these wonderful over priced facilities, and no skill.

On the master tech certification side of things in the dealer world/land.
From personal experience you turn up you pretty much pass that cert.
So there are heaps of dealer "certified" in different areas or even master technicians that still don't understand the basic things like voltage drop, how to use a scanner or a scope.
Looks good to have all these certificates on the wall on the waiting room for customers to see, in reality the tech is good at throwing parts but not at solving the actual problem.
As to find out I couldn't really say you could verify them here in Australia without being in that certain dealer network.

Anthony, you are absolutely correct, you should see the workbooks that these techs do at training where they fill in the answers by hand in the workbooks, not only do they not know what is going on but they very frequently have literacy problems as well.

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Gail Taylor

I'm an Autonerd

Wendell North Carolina
North Carolina
USA

Reply #44 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 9:02am

A 1986 model is still covered under warranty? Even the battery? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #45 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 10:58am

If I purchase a new battery from BMW for my 1986 car, and the battery fails, and I want to claim warranty on the battery....then it must go on the BMW diagnostic machine at the dealer.

The diagnostic machine at the dealer has a OBDII plug and also you can adapt a 20 pin round plug to the OBDII so that you can interface with some earlier cars.

But if your car is prior to the 20 pin plug you can no longer connect to the BME ISIS diagnostic.

Whish means to cannot claim the warranty unless you make a hell of a noise.

This has occurred as a procedure because of dealer mis-diagnosis and fraud.
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2014 at 11:53am by Logic »  
WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Gail Taylor

I'm an Autonerd

Wendell North Carolina
North Carolina
USA

Reply #46 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 11:58am

OK...any good reason to pay 4 times as much for a BMW battery? I'm just assuming they are expensive. Cheesy Wink

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #47 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 3:29pm

To be frank Gail, no there is no reason,

I do find the quality of BMW batteries to be good, but also there are alternatives of equal quality.

Not worth it though when you do have the occasional issue and warranty is impossible.

I can get warranty anywhere else on my word and my word alone.

Unlike a dealer when I call for warranty there is actually an issue with the part and ccoorect diagnosis is performed to prove it!

It is not worth my while to collect warranty even when the battery costs in excess of $400.

BMW think they are smart cutting me out of warranty like that, but fact is I bypass them more and more as they are just making life difficult.

Thus they mis out altogether.

There are other ways in which they are bring pressure to bear, but I will have none of that either.

BMW also fail to see the tiered structure of BMW ownership....do not understand the real market at all.

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Gail Taylor

I'm an Autonerd

Wendell North Carolina
North Carolina
USA

Reply #48 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 4:05pm

Logic wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 3:29pm:
To be frank Gail, no there is no reason,

I do find the quality of BMW batteries to be good, but also there are alternatives of equal quality.

Not worth it though when you do have the occasional issue and warranty is impossible.

I can get warranty anywhere else on my word and my word alone.

Unlike a dealer when I call for warranty there is actually an issue with the part and ccoorect diagnosis is performed to prove it!

It is not worth my while to collect warranty even when the battery costs in excess of $400.

BMW think they are smart cutting me out of warranty like that, but fact is I bypass them more and more as they are just making life difficult.

Thus they mis out altogether.

There are other ways in which they are bring pressure to bear, but I will have none of that either.

BMW also fail to see the tiered structure of BMW ownership....do not understand the real market at all.

Man you seem to be really pissed with BMW. Did one of the mangers nail your mom or what? Shocked Cheesy

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #49 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 5:31pm

No Gail,
I'm not "really pissed", it is just that four to five times a day I have people coming to me with issues about the behaviour of a dealer, of the money spent and the ignorance and miss diagnosis of the dealer network.

I think that if a person has demonstrated their commitment to excellence and to resolving the issues that BMW owners have then that person should be encouraged and that the customer should NOT be bent over and reamed hard.

There have been many times where I have had to step in to resolve an issue between a customer and a dealer and BMW themselves.

One court case has already been avoided this year as a result of my intervention on behalf of the owner.

When I do this I do it in support of the BMW brand and the good name of BMW Australia, so there is a flip side to my attitudes, it is a grey area.

I have no tolerance however for  a number at a dealership telling me how to suck eggs.

They ought to do some of the hard yards.

There are many nights where I will still stay up all night nutting the real diagnostic process out, if you were privy to the members area of the Autonerdz site you would see the tip of the iceberg of the work that I do.

This is not arrogance on my part it is simply a matter that I have put in all the hard yards into my craft, both at university and from within the industry, the only trade skill that I have not mastered is motor trimming and even there I have re manufactured door and interior trims for one particular early model BMW.

I might add that when I intended to purchase an oscilloscope I researched that very thoroughly, and I quickly came to the conclusion that Autonerdz was the only place to buy a Picoscope, Tom says it and he is right.

The benefits are way beyond anything else out there due to Toms efforts and the people that he has attracted to the Picogroup.

BMW could well learn a lesson from Tom!

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Anthony Lamb
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

Reply #50 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 7:13pm

Logic wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 7:52am:
Then there is the spike in issues that dealers find at 100,000km where the customer is charged a big wad of money, when the customer protests 7k into it he is taken to the new car showroom…..I see it over and over and over…

Surely the customer could take the dealer to the office of fair trading due to being ripped off by the dealer.

What is interesting is that my warranty claims on parts is virtually zero, far less than the dealers warranty claims as a percentage of parts used….and you know why that is don’t you?

Certainly do, makes sense why you go to the extra length for the customer.

you should see the workbooks that these techs do at training where they fill in the answers by hand in the workbooks, not only do they not know what is going on but they very frequently have literacy problems as well

I have seen some of the crap people fill out when I have attended dealer training for Toyota.
Me personally I'm not the worlds greatest speller but if I can't spell I look it up first, I sometimes road test other mechanics work prior to being handed over to the service advisor and some of the spelling and stories are pretty shocking to say the least.

Even working for a different car make it is frustrating that you can get thrown a repair order to replace X part with no other reason then have to come up with some fairy tale of why the part failed. 9 times out 10 it is the wrong part for the issue.

IP Logged

crackerclicker
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Elevation 834 ft

Watertown, Wisconsin, USA
Watertown
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #51 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 10:49pm

you should see the workbooks that these techs do at training where they fill in the answers by hand in the workbooks,

I have, and most Picogroup members can too.   Wink

https://autonerdz.egnyte.com/

crackerclicker  
IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #52 - Feb 2nd, 2014 at 11:04pm

Where?

I would love to compare!

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Pages: 1