Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Master Certified Tech? How to find out? (Read 100,449 times)
BMW Dave
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Winston Salem
North Carolina
USA

Master Certified Tech? How to find out?
Jan 26th, 2014 at 4:04am

I saw recently one of the posters on this forum had little
formal training back in May and now is a Master Certified Technician and Cerified Mercedes Technican according to their website? Sounds pretty fishy to me.. Is their a way verify this. Thanks in advance.  "BMW Master Certified Technician Mercedes Certified Technician Over 7+ years of experience"

IP Logged

BMW Dave
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Winston Salem
North Carolina
USA

Re: Master Certified Tech? How to find out?
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2014 at 7:33am

Thanks for the PM. I'll contact Those and see what their record shows.  Have a nice day..  Smiley

IP Logged

Daniel
Super Nerd

Europe, Denmark
Europe
Denmark

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2014 at 8:03am

One thing I don’t like about PM’s is like this, it leaves the rest of us that would have learned something about this question unanswered.  Sad

BTW welcome to the forum.  Smiley

Daniel R. Knudsen 
WWW WWW sengeloeseautogaard  
IP Logged

BMW Dave
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Winston Salem
North Carolina
USA

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2014 at 8:35am

Sorry Daniel...I'm wasn't familiar with the certification process but had an imposter nearly ruin one of my cars.. two ways is on send a request for employee verification to
AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE EXCELLENCE

101 Blue Seal Drive, S.E. Suite 101
Leesburg, VA 20175

Hours:  8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Eastern time, Monday - Friday, except Holidays
Switchboard:  1-703-669-6600
Fax: 1-703-669-6127
E-mail:  webmaster@ase.com
request a PDF form

the other is to contact BMW Step and they will
send you a request form as well.

Thank You for the welcome.

I should have known when I pulled up and saw this ..

junk.jpg (59 KB | 461 )
junk.jpg

IP Logged

BMW Dave
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Winston Salem
North Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:33pm

Certified Master BMW Technician
BMW Master Technician
5 Years as a BMW Technician

Training Requirements:
ST043 - 2002 System Diag ST042 - E65 - Complete Vehicle
ST050 - Technical Systems
ST051 - Body Electronics l
ST052 - Body Electonics ll
ST055 - Engine Electronics
ST054 - Climate Control
ST034 - E46 Complete Vehicle
ST036 - X5 Complete Vehicle
ST037 - M5 Complete Vehicle
ST041 - Ms Complete Vehicle
ST056 - Chassis Dynamics
ST057 - Electronic Trans.
ST061 - Body Adjustments
MORE INFO HERE
http://www.timthomson.com/portfolioPgs/websites/BMWWS/requirements.asp

IP Logged

BMW Dave
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Winston Salem
North Carolina
USA

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2014 at 3:11pm

Most reputable BMW repair shops will display evidence of membership in automotive professional affiliations. Groups such as ASE (Automotive Service Excellence), ASA (Automotive Service Association), and iATN hold their members to high ethical standards and rigorous technician certification requirements. There are also BMW specific professional associations such as BIMRS that accept only the most specialized BMW experts. If you see any seals or certificates get a tow truck as quick as you can and get your car out of there  before some ham fist gets a hold of it .. 
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2014 at 3:31pm by BMW Dave »  

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh, Victoria, Australia
Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2014 at 10:37pm

Could you please explain what this thread is about?

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Jose aka superskyliner
Guru Member
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

95653, California, USA
California
USA

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2014 at 10:43pm

I'm confused as well...

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2014 at 10:50pm

If it is saying you have to be a BMW master Tech , having performed a number of BMW ST courses, I say this, A BMW master tech is the last person I would ever employ.

How ignorant they are at BMW dealers.

Less ignorant after they get off the phone from me when they seek help.

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

andyz
Freshman Member

Perth Australia, Western Australia, Australia
Perth Australia
Western Australia
Australia

Reply #9 - Jan 28th, 2014 at 5:24am

How ignorant they are at BMW dealers.

Logic,

You are making a very sweeping statement about all technicians at BMW dealers.
I can't comment on the quality of technician you have been dealing with, but I don't think it's fair to imply that the standard at all BMW dealers is bad.

From what i have seen, the roles of a technician at a dealer and at an 'after market' workshop are completely different and you definitely get good and bad technicians in either.

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #10 - Jan 28th, 2014 at 5:45am

Sorry mate, I'm well qualified to make the statements that I make.

I have had 37 years in the business and listen to stories from car owners every day about their experiences at the dealer.

I will agree however that the non dealer workshops may leave a lot go be desired also.

At times I mediate between BMW owners and BMW where the owners have issues with the work and performance.

Whilst we are on the subject BMW does not provide their techs with adequate training and their documentation is poor.

Last seek I was reading a document about the specifications of the brake booster vacuum sensor, a good proportion of the document was clearly wrong.

The next point that I will raise pertains go the very reason we are all here.

Are you aware of the OSCILLOSCOPE capacity a BMW dealer workshop has?

I will leave that as a rhetorical question.

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

andyz
Freshman Member

Perth Australia, Western Australia, Australia
Perth Australia
Western Australia
Australia

Reply #11 - Jan 28th, 2014 at 7:00am

Whilst we are on the subject BMW does not provide their techs with adequate training and their documentation is poor.

In my experience this is certainly true. But some countries are better than others.

I am only too well aware of the inadequacies of the diagnostic tools available at dealer level. I have been struggling daily against these problems for twenty years!
The technicians hands are tied. In most cases there is no choice but to follow BMW diagnostic flow charts. In 99% of these there are errors in the information or wiring diagrams or both.
Good technicians forced to use inferior tools and rely on inferior information = poor quality outcome for customer.

I found out a long time ago, the only way I was personally ever going to get any sort of job satisfaction was to buy as much of my own diagnostic gear as possible (pico setup etc) and use it together with knowledge built from BMW training AND external sources such this forum.
When it comes to fixing BMW's i also like to think that I am not ignorant.  Smiley

IP Logged

BMW Dave
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Winston Salem
North Carolina
USA

Reply #12 - Jan 28th, 2014 at 8:15am

If you will read my original post it reads.."I saw recently one of the posters on this forum had little formal training back in May and now is a Master Certified Technician and Certified Mercedes Technican according to their website? Sounds pretty fishy to me.. Is their a way verify this"

I was wondering how guy with little formal training could have become a Master BMW techniann is 7 months?? Also states on the website I got hooked from their techs are all of a sudden Master BMW factory trained techs when they never worked at a factory trained garage.. I do understand what your saying about book smart versus experienced.. if your not constantly being updated on the new models it would be very difficult to work on unfamiliar cars  especially if your shop doesn't have the proper un to date equipment and tools.. just because your skilled at working on a 86 BMW doesn't make you prepared to work on a 2013 BMW M6

IP Logged

Jose aka superskyliner
Guru Member
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

95653, California, USA
California
USA

Reply #13 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 12:15am

Logic wrote on Jan 28th, 2014 at 5:45am:

Most BMW dealerships in the US are franchises meaning ultimately they are privately owned just like many independents and the level of training of the techs can vary depending on how much the owner/manager of the franchise wants to invest in training

BMW has actually had oscilloscopes built into every one of their diagnostic platforms as far as I can remember ( DisPlus, GT1/IMIB, and ISTA/D IMIB

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #14 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 12:31am

DAVE,

I do not know where  you are working, but if you are working at a BMW dealer which narrows it down to one,(FATOOYWBFIBN) then you are violating the BMW Australia dictates by using superior self funded equipment.

And while talking about an 1986 6 series verses a 2013 M6 , if I try and make a warranty claim on a battery that I purchased from a dealer for the 86 635 E24 then in order to get that warranty I must get a ISTA report at a dealer in order to get warranty....say no more.

While on the subject want the phone number of a fellow with a 800km old Active Hybrid 5 series where BMW Australia roadside assist could not get the car going and I did it via SMS to the owner whilst attending a wedding?

Ask and I will give you his phone number!

As far as Master Tech certification is concerned, still do not get what you are talking about, but do you think for one moment that all the web sites that you see claiming "BMW Factory Trained Techs" are all BMW trained?
They are mostly people now wanting to work on BMWs who once worked in a factory....could have been the baked bean canning line at Heinz .

I can buy a degree over the net, why should I not be able to make claims about my qualifications to work on BMW cars which are total fiction?

It makes me sick to the gut.

If you have evidence that a person posting here is being fraudulent with respect to their credentials, then I suggest that you run it past Tom and on the basis of his sanction reveal who it is.

If you are a true Autonerdz member then in future post in the members section and be part of the information that is available there.

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4