Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
What should I do? (Read 15,420 times)
Erik_1940
Guru Member
Picogroup

Elevation 25 ft

California, California, USA
California
California
USA

What should I do?
Apr 28th, 2012 at 5:42pm

Hi ya'll
I have a question or I should say a decision to make and I would like to get some input from you guys.

I have been following the Autonerdz for the past maybe 5 years I dont post a lot but Im always reading your guys post like I said about five years ago I bought the Autonerdz cds and later the flash drive (best training invesment) the thing is up to this point still havent been able to buy my own pico work is sometimes so slow that I can hardly put some money aside for my personal toys.
Anyway finally I might be able to buy my scope but only the 2 channel so my question is should I just wait a little longer or maybe a lot more time to get the 4 channel or shuould I get the 2 channel and start practicing with it? I know I need a lot to learn and thats why sometimes if I want to master the scope I might need the 4 channel.
What would you guys do in my case?
Thanks in advance  Smiley

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft, Ontario, Canada
Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Re: What should I do?
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2012 at 8:45pm

Erik_1940 wrote on Apr 28th, 2012 at 5:42pm:
the thing is up to this point still havent been able to buy my own pico work is sometimes so slow that I can hardly put some money aside for my personal toys.

Well it sounds like you may have enough for a 2 Channel and if you don't have any Pico Channels now, 2 is better than none. Wink
This will get you into the Pico group and in that section you will be able to learn more about the scope.

Erik_1940 wrote on Apr 28th, 2012 at 5:42pm:
What would you guys do in my case?

Phone in your order to Tom  Smiley

Mick
mick_3342 mikejonesautoengineering  
IP Logged

top4
Picogroup

Ellwood city pa, Tennessee, USA
Ellwood city pa
Tennessee
USA

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2012 at 5:13am

I say buy the 2 channel KIT. You can up grade later. That is what I did I plan to up grade next year. Well worth the $ and time to learn the equipment  Smiley

IP Logged

PRESTON
LSD Guide
Picogroup

"Fix like a champion today"

Jensen Beach, Florida, USA
Jensen Beach
Florida
USA

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2012 at 12:45pm

top4 wrote on Apr 29th, 2012 at 5:13am:
I say buy the 2 channel KIT. You can up grade later. That is what I did I plan to up grade next year. Well worth the $ and time to learn the equipment

I could not agree more.  Also agree with Mick too, 2 channels are better than no channels and you can still accomplish a lot with 2 channels, especially if you are about to begin the learning curve.

Rogue Nerd in South FL
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

brandonb
Super Nerd
Picogroup

arizona, Arizona, USA
arizona
Arizona
USA

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2012 at 8:43pm

Quote:
Also agree with Mick too, 2 channels are better than no channels and you can still accomplish a lot with 2 channels, especially if you are about to begin the learning curve.
true that

i make my living on oem engineering blunders

IP Logged

Erik_1940
Guru Member
Picogroup

Elevation 25 ft

California
California
USA

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2012 at 8:46pm

Mick wrote on Apr 28th, 2012 at 8:45pm:
This will get you into the Pico group and in that section you will be able to learn more about the scope.

Thanks Mick for your advice I know Im gonna learn a lot once I get into the Pico group. Just hope Im not too green (I do my homework so that should help  Smiley )

I say buy the 2 channel KIT. You can up grade later. That is what I did I plan to up grade next year. Well worth the $ and time to learn the equipment  Smiley

You are right top4 I can upgrade later so Im plannig on getting the 2 channel and hopefully in a couple months the WPS500 those 2 should keep me busy for a while.  Cheesy

PRESTON wrote on Apr 29th, 2012 at 12:45pm:
I say buy the 2 channel KIT. You can up grade later. That is what I did I plan to up grade next year. Well worth the $ and time to learn the equipment

I could not agree more.  Also agree with Mick too, 2 channels are better than no channels and you can still accomplish a lot with 2 channels, especially if you are about to begin the learning curve. 

Thats right Preston. I have 2 channels but on a vantage pro  Undecided so 2 true channels and the pico group is much better  Wink
PS: I always follow your posts

IP Logged

Drjekl
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Paraparaumu, New Zealand
Paraparaumu
New Zealand

Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 12:43pm

Erik, I recently bought a pico from autonerdz. I feel it's one of those tools thatakes you money. I'm still learning it and by no means any good on it yet but it has saved me time. Where I work we charge a job what it's worth or can justify time charged rather than time taken. So pico saves time,we still charge what jobs worth and we are already onto the next job making money on that also ( well most of the time it works like that)
Get a 2 ch and you will wonder how you worked without it before

BLAIR ROSSON
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Erik_1940
Guru Member
Picogroup

Elevation 25 ft

California
California
USA

Reply #7 - May 3rd, 2012 at 10:31pm

Drjekl wrote on Apr 30th, 2012 at 12:43pm:
Erik, I recently bought a pico from autonerdz. I feel it's one of those tools thatakes you money. I'm still learning it and by no means any good on it yet but it has saved me time. Where I work we charge a job what it's worth or can justify time charged rather than time taken. So pico saves time,we still charge what jobs worth and we are already onto the next job making money on that also ( well most of the time it works like that)
Get a 2 ch and you will wonder how you worked without it before

I know what you mean DrJekel we gave a system here that is called flat rate which a lot of us are not very fond of but it is what it is. I made up my mind thanks to all of your advices I'm getting the 2 channel for now no because I'm not sure about the pico scope or the Autonerdz but because I can afford the 4 channel (also have to get me a new lap top) the one I have would be too slow. thank you again for your comments  Smiley

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #8 - May 8th, 2012 at 8:26am

Erik,

Now that you have had some input from the group, I just wanted to give you mine.

Nothing wrong with getting a two channel unit to start with.  Just wanted you, and everyone else, to make that choice with eyes wide open.

Almost without exception, those that get a two channel later wish they had the four channel, once they discover the possibilities.  While we don't have a trade in policy, we sometimes can help you facilitate a buyer for your two channel unit.  But, in any case, it's more expensive to upgrade later.

As long as you factor that into your decision, you will be able to choose wisely.  Basically, what is it worth to you to get a head start on your PicoScope experience as opposed to waiting?

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Erik_1940
Guru Member
Picogroup

Elevation 25 ft

California
California
USA

Reply #9 - May 13th, 2012 at 10:46pm

Thank you Tom for your input I really appreciate it.
My plan was to get the 2 channel and the WPS500,  I have seen all those waveforms and it just looks like its a tool that you must have with your scope.
So it might be smarter to get the 4 channel practice,learn as much as possible and later on get the WPS500  Roll Eyes
Thanks again all of you NERDZ!!

IP Logged

Drjekl
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Paraparaumu, New Zealand
Paraparaumu
New Zealand

Reply #10 - May 14th, 2012 at 1:46am

Erik_1940 wrote on May 13th, 2012 at 10:46pm:
So it might be smarter to get the 4 channel practice,learn as much as possible and later on get the WPS500  Roll Eyes
Thanks again all of you NERDZ!!

this is my plan also, my trouble at the moment erik_1942 is im wanting to spend more time using my pico on the jobs and test,test,test it is just taking to much time to play around (although im the boss i still have to do my share of work). its getting into winter down here so its hard to be motivated to stay after work. but im having a blast with this tool

BLAIR ROSSON
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Erik_1940
Guru Member
Picogroup

Elevation 25 ft

California
California
USA

Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 4:41pm

Okay the question repeats again what should I do?
But this time what should I do while I'm waiting  Cheesy hell yeah baby I ordered my 4 channel pico and its on its way!
So the question for you guys is where do I start there is so much to see, learn that its a little overwhelming and I want to do my homework so I don't annoy anybody with basic questions.
so any guidance will be appreciated.

Cheesy Smiley

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #12 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 10:09pm

Erik,

I suggest you start here:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1336513824

Just to see some of what is available to you.  Then watch some of the tutorials.  One of the most important ones is the 4000 power management movie.  Lots of other ones on essential functions like custom probes, etc.

Just keep in mind that the tutorials are an evolution like the software is.  Don't let it bother you if you are watching one of the earlier ones and it shoes a button or feature that you can't find.  Just means that changed later.  As you go through them this will become clear.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

crackerclicker
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Elevation 834 ft

Watertown, Wisconsin, USA
Watertown
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #13 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 10:30pm

Erik_1940 wrote on Aug 17th, 2012 at 4:41pm:
Okay the question repeats again what should I do?

clear your schedule, you're gonna be a busy man!   Cheesy

crackerclicker  
IP Logged

Erik_1940
Guru Member
Picogroup

Elevation 25 ft

California
California
USA

Reply #14 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 11:29pm

Tom Roberts wrote on Aug 17th, 2012 at 10:09pm:
Erik,

I suggest you start here:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1336513824

Just to see some of what is available to you.  Then watch some of the tutorials.  One of the most important ones is the 4000 power management movie.  Lots of other ones on essential functions like custom probes, etc.

Just keep in mind that the tutorials are an evolution like the software is.  Don't let it bother you if you are watching one of the earlier ones and it shoes a button or feature that you can't find.  Just means that changed later.  As you go through them this will become clear.

Thanks Tom, I've been watching all tutorials like I said I want to do my homework.  Wink
thanks again.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2