Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Tips on posting waveforms (Read 34,112 times)
chip
Picogroup

Homer, Georgia, USA
Homer
Georgia
USA

Tips on posting waveforms
Feb 27th, 2012 at 7:40am

Hey guys. I've had my scope for a bit and haven't posted any waveforms yet. I have a question on one but have no idea how to post the file. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Chip

chip  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: Tips on posting waveforms
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 10:33am

Hi Chip,

The best way is to attach the files to your post using the attachments function as shown in the image.  This way your files/images reside on our server and will remain here.  Please try to avoid using the post image button to post images that reside on another server somewhere because they eventually vanish when the other server goes away or the images are moved or deleted there.

You may attach up to five things to each post.  These can be any combination of allowed file types (PicoScope psdata files are one of these).  If it is a image file, then the image will appear in your post.  Please re-size images to 1024 x 768 or smaller before attaching them.  They are not re-sized by the system and a gigantic image is difficult to view.

If you choose to preview your post, any attachments will not be retained.  To make the attachments stick you much choose to post.  This is a security feature to prevent malicious files from being uploaded anonymously.

There are many ways to edit your image and add text and things as well as re-size.  I like IrfanView which can be downloaded here:

http://www.irfanview.com/

« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2012 at 12:45pm by Tom Roberts »  

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft, Ontario, Canada
Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 10:37am

chip wrote on Feb 27th, 2012 at 7:40am:
Hey guys. I've had my scope for a bit and haven't posted any waveforms yet. I have a question on one but have no idea how to post the file. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Chip

When you reply like I am right now just under this reply box there is a browse button

if you click this button you can navigate to the area you stored your files,

as long as these files are 15 mb or less you can click on it and press open,

then it will appear in the box besides the browse button.

If you want to post a number of files you click on the + button just over to the left of this reply box I am typing in,

the more you click it the more files it allows you to post up to 5

Use the test board to practice and if we see you having trouble someone will help you there.

Mick
mick_3342 mikejonesautoengineering  
IP Logged

chip
Picogroup

Homer, Georgia, USA
Homer
Georgia
USA

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 12:13pm

Tom and Mick, thank you so much for your help. This is all so new and the more I learn the less it seems like I know. Thanks again!!
Chip

chip  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 4:11pm

Another important note about file names....Please try to keep them short and sweet.  File names are not the place for detailed descriptions.  Those can go in the Pico notes area.   

Also, do not use any symbols in the file names.  They will upload just fine but no one will be able to download them.  So...no + - or other symbols.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

PicoFin
Guru Member

Parainen, Finland
Parainen
Finland

Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 9:19am

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2013 at 9:37am

Just wanted to be sure everyone knows they can edit a post for 24 hours.  So....If you screw up and forget to re size an image posting a ginormous image no one can view, you can simply edit your own post and replace that image with one that is properly re sized.

This makes threads neater and also does not waste server space for a milti-megabyte image so huge no one can view it anyway.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2013 at 1:52pm

Tom Roberts wrote on Apr 15th, 2013 at 9:37am:
Just wanted to be sure everyone knows they can edit a post for 24 hours.

Please do not abuse this ability.  You can really make a confusing mess out of a thread when you delete or alter a post after someone has replied to it.  Fixing the image sizing is one thing but we discourage you from altering the content.  If you need to post a correction please add that in a separate post or edit the post while leaving the original text so everyone knows it's an edit.

if no one has replied to your post yet, then you can delete it or edit it at will.  But once someone has responded to you, then if you edit your original post the response won't make sense anymore. 

So, please respect the other members of the forums that took their time to respond to you by leaving your post intact.

It's important to be able to edit a post and we don't have much ability to adjust the time frame.  It's either 24 hours or none.  We don't want to have to remove this ability but we will if we need to to preserve the flow of the discussion threads.

So, please be careful with your edits.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

LostNSpace
Guru Member
Picogroup

Florida, Florida, USA
Florida
Florida
USA

Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2013 at 9:53am

Tom,

Well, I goofed up in a thread recently and ended up deleting my post somehow.

Was tying to get the attachments in the right order in the context of the post, but that didn't pan out to well.

When the files are uploaded as attachments into your server can the server pop out a link addy, so you can post that in here using the link button?  I do know that few sites have a separate section in their forums you can do this.

I couldn't figure out how post pictures in between contexts in the correct order.

Example:

Context

image (1)

Context

image (2)

Most of the posts in this forum the images reside at the bottom of the context.
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2013 at 10:08am by LostNSpace »  

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2013 at 3:37pm

LostNSpace wrote on Apr 28th, 2013 at 9:53am:
When the files are uploaded as attachments into your server can the server pop out a link addy, so you can post that in here using the link button?

If you right click on an attachment and select properties, you can see the URL.  You could use that I suppose to place an image inline with the text using the insert image button.  But you would still have to leave the attachment anyway because if you remove it, the attachment is no longer on the server which would kill your link.  You would then have double attachments (one file double appearances).

Like this:

To preserve the integrity of the forums, what you don't want to do is insert something that lives on another server somewhere.  There are a lot of posts in the archives where the OP has done that and now the posts have just red Xs where the images used to be because they were moved, deleted, or for some other reason the links are no longer valid.  These forums have been here nearly ten years now.  Stuff happens.

Here is one example that got fixed:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1176649929/0#0

ICzoom_001.gif (43 KB | )
ICzoom_001.gif

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #10 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 8:34am

We have given up trying to get users to resize their images here so they can be viewed.  So, we have turned on the forums auto resize feature.  This takes some flexibility away from those who know how to edit images but makes the forums more readable, as all the huge images that have been posted can now be seen in a viewable size.

We would still appreciate you resizing your images before attaching them because this makes the file size smaller and saves server space.  But...at least now the ginormous multi-megapixel images will be viewable.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

PRESTON
LSD Guide
Picogroup

"Fix like a champion today"

Jensen Beach, Florida, USA
Jensen Beach
Florida
USA

Reply #11 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 8:41am

So if I resize my image prior to posting, will it also be affected by the forum?  Would I have to take anything else into account when resizing on my own?

Rogue Nerd in South FL
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #12 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 8:51am

PRESTON wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 8:41am:
Would I have to take anything else into account when resizing on my own?

Max width is set at 1024 pixels.  Aspect ratio floats so images don't distort.  If this turns out to be a bad idea, we can put it back but it looks like it's working well.

Images that are 1024 or less in width will be unaffected.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Jeff Doughman
Freshman Member
Picogroup

Matamoras, Pennsylvania, USA
Matamoras
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #13 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 8:23am

I haven't posted anything in a while just tried to post a pico data file. It keeps telling me to add it again for security reason.

Oil is Science !
WWW WWW jeffld2  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #14 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 8:24am

Tom Roberts wrote on Feb 27th, 2012 at 10:33am:
If you choose to preview your post, any attachments will not be retained.  To make the attachments stick you much choose to post.  This is a security feature to prevent malicious files from being uploaded anonymously.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2