Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Question of the Month: Verus Vs Pico (Read 221,859 times)
PRESTON
LSD Guide
Picogroup

"Fix like a champion today"

Jensen Beach, Florida, USA
Jensen Beach
Florida
USA

Re: Question of the Month: Verus Vs Pico
Reply #90 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 9:39am

I kind or regret even adding to this thread after I did, but whatever.  As far as speed of getting your scope capture SO vs. Pico, I think there are too many variables to compare directly.  I feel like most responses in regards to setup time and getting a capture are assuming your laptop is off and the scope is buried away in a case.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that has streamlined there setup time.  My laptop too is always on at work, use it for scanning, information systems, and the scope.  I have a cart setup that allows me to simply take my laptop from my toolbox, to the cart, plug in the usb cable, and start the software.  From that point it's just hooking up leads.  I have a boom with the most commonly used cabling ready to go.  I think I'll time myself tomorrow just to see how long it takes to go from deciding I need to scope, to the first capture being made  Smiley.   

All I'm saying is, setup time is relative.

Rogue Nerd in South FL
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #91 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 10:09am

Derreck wrote on Nov 10th, 2013 at 9:29am:
I don't care what scope someone is using, as long as they are using it and not letting it collect dust while throwing parts at problems.

Very true.  The less capable scope that gets used is way more effective than the most powerful gathering dust.  This is why the tech needs to choose a scope they are comfortable using.  If you are not comfortable with PCs, then PicoScope is probably not a good choice for you.

Much of that choice is subjective and everyone has an opinion.  What everyone does not have is the facts.  This thread was meant to solve the lack of factual information and myth bust some of the disinformation that is out there.  Sometimes facts change opinions, sometimes not.  But they stand on their own.

PRESTON wrote on Nov 9th, 2013 at 12:58pm:
What a jackwagon.

We could have done without that,  Lips Sealed  but the rest is contributing to the discussion.   Wink

PRESTON wrote on Nov 10th, 2013 at 9:39am:
All I'm saying is, setup time is relative.

Yup.  And the work environment has a lot to do with it.  In some environments, leaving your PC out and ready for battle might not be a good idea.  Maybe you work outside.  Maybe your coworkers can't be trusted not to smash your PC.....etc....

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Derreck
LSD Guide
Picogroup

It's getting better all
the time...

Murray               535 ft, Kentucky, USA
Murray 535 ft
Kentucky
USA

Reply #92 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 1:18pm

Maybe its just me on setup time preston.  Im sure Ill get faster with the pico in time, but right now I still think I coukd get waves on screen faster with a Verus...
Not that I would EVER give up my Pico for one, of course.

IP Logged

magicmatt

LSD is better than a BFH

savage, Minnesota, USA
savage
Minnesota
USA

Reply #93 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 7:09pm

On the subject of time it takes to start scoping, if every tool is off. My hp probook starts up faster then my snapon verdict which has the basic same software as the verus. Snapon windows starts then wait for snapon diagnostic application to start, by then I already would have my pico scoping. I traded the verdict for a modis ultra for this very reason. Now the modis ultra boots in about 10 sec but I have a pico so it  gets the majority of all scope needs. Smiley

The Flasher_scope&scan diagnostics LLC

IP Logged

drdiesel1
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Nevada USA, Nevada, USA
Nevada USA
Nevada
USA

Reply #94 - Sep 13th, 2015 at 3:03am

I like my Verus Pro..... It's a great graphing meter  Shocked

IP Logged

M-TEKK1
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Zion Illinois, Illinois, USA
Zion Illinois
Illinois
USA

Reply #95 - Mar 11th, 2016 at 11:06pm

I have been a verus scope user for about 6 years now.  Previous scope was the otc 4 channel(that was a graphing multimeter, but at least it had horixontal cursors)

My biggest complaints aboout the verus is
A:  In order to see what u want in detail u have to start zoomed in to where u barely know what your scoping then you can zoom out(anti zoom).  Veiwing primary, secondary CAN or any other fast items can be dificult when there is a glitch.  You have to be "quick on the pause" or you will be trying again.  This can be extremely time consuming as you dont know if you recorded the glitch or not.

B: There are no horizontal cursors.  This is very time consuming.  You would either need to eyeball the voltage or move the vertical cursor to every point you want to take a voltage reading at.

I do mobile diagnostics.  I shut down my verus between jobs.  starting up my verus take 1 munute 50 seconds to get to the atlas menu.  Scoping probably takes another minute or so. (getting leads hooking them up and stuff)  BUT  I have wasted so much time with re scaling time scales, voltage scales, then inverting and re recording. Not to mention missing what that glitch or sputter or stammer.  I dont have the pico yet(hoping it arrives in mail Wednesday) but I think it would lead to a quicker end result.  My lap top never turns off.  It goes to sleep when I close the screen Friday and it still has juice when I open it Monday.  Try doing that with a Verus.(also having the verus scope plugged into A/C can majorly alter scope readings.

The verus scope is based on or a version of the SUN scopes.  Snap on bought SUN equipment years ago.  Snap on does not have a scope R and D department.  They will not update the scope module. (they only put it in different cases)

I really like this forum.  Thanks for having me

IP Logged

Mike in St. Louis
Guru Member
Picogroup

St Louis, Missouri, USA
St Louis
Missouri
USA

Reply #96 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 4:48pm

Very informative M-TEKK1, thanks for sharing..Mike.

IP Logged

Spence
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Jeffersonville, Pennsylvania, USA
Jeffersonville
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #97 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 4:56pm

M-TEKK1 wrote on Mar 11th, 2016 at 11:06pm:
I dont have the pico yet(hoping it arrives in mail Wednesday) but I think it would lead to a quicker end result. 

Did you buy it from the Autonerdz? I have a feeling you didn't

N.B.S.   Dilly Dilly!  FJB
WWW WWW spencedecordre  
IP Logged

M-TEKK1
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Zion Illinois, Illinois, USA
Zion Illinois
Illinois
USA

Reply #98 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 4:01pm

Bought the pico from aeswave.com  used.  comes with a couple of goodies that the autonerdz doesnt

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #99 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 5:05pm

M-TEKK1 wrote on Mar 14th, 2016 at 4:01pm:
comes with a couple of goodies that the autonerdz doesnt

Just curious what that might be....

Of course, the biggest goodie you are missing is this:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1336513824

We do have used ones that come with this from time to time....

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1437351120

Quote:
I really like this forum.  Thanks for having me

Thanks for joining.  You'll find plenty in the public areas to keep you busy for a while.  When you hunger for more and want the complete Pico experience, just let us know... Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2016 at 8:36am by Tom Roberts »  

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #100 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 10:27am

I was asked to give an example here of the Pico 4425 performance to update this thread.

In the first image, we have a 500kbaud CAN hi and low.  This is a ten second capture sampling at 12.5 million samples per second.  This is an 80 billionths of a second sample interval.  There are 125 million samples per channel.

You need to sample at 8 to 10x the baud rate to get good CAN reconstruction so this setup would also serve to sample high speed CAN.

The nearest time base to this using a Verus would be a 50ms sweep which is a 13.1 second capture time sampling at 10kHz.  So in this example, the Pico is 1250x faster.

The second image is a 20,000x zoom.
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2018 at 4:42pm by Tom Roberts »  

10secan2.jpg (474 KB | 358 )
10secan2.jpg
10secan20kx2.jpg (502 KB | 358 )
10secan20kx2.jpg

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Ford racer
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

constableville, ny 13325, New York, USA
constableville, ny 13325
New York
USA

Reply #101 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 6:10am

I know this is also an old thread but I thought I would comment.  I totally agree that a bad scope being used is better than the best one collecting dust.  The reason I say that is because I am guilty myself.  I have a verus edge and I also have a pico 4425 that I purchased from tom last year, and I previously had a 4423 and a modis both.  I am guilty of always grabbing the verus because its already turned on because we are scanning constantly with it and I am used to operating that scope.  I have all the bells and whistles for both but I rarely use the pico for the reasons previously stated and I am actually ashamed of myself for that.  I really need to spend more time using and learning the pico, everyone on here is very good and I always enjoy reading the forums and now that I am a member I really need to take advantage of that.  I will say that I do enjoy using the pico more when I do use it, I just have a lot to learn with it and need to get my butt in gear and set aside the time to learn it.

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #102 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 8:51am

Ford racer,

I hear you there.  As previously discussed in this thread, it's really helpful to set up a cart or something for your Pico with everything there at the ready.  Lot's of ideas here:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1083810927

Like anything else, proficiency comes with seat time.  We are here to assist any way we can.

The capture I posted in reply 100 is a good one to try to duplicate.  If you can achieve the performance shown in that capture, you will have learned more about the Pico 4425 than most users will ever know....   Wink

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7