Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Question of the Month: Verus Vs Pico (Read 222,234 times)
drdiesel1
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Nevada USA, Nevada, USA
Nevada USA
Nevada
USA

Re: Question of the Month: Verus Vs Pico
Reply #60 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 9:52am

Here's the same file zoomed in a little bit without using any channel filtering Smiley

Post a screen shot of the Snappy, so we can all have a good  Smiley

Sorry, but Snap On's junk just isn't worth beans to me  Smiley
Especially when I have a better tool available, at a much better price. One with a wider range of use in the real world.
I use my tools in my business to set my shop apart from all the wannabe shops and, I do it with the Pico, the education and help from AutoNerdz and all the members from this site. 
The AutoNerdz, our members and the Pico are an unbeatable resource for me.

Ask your Snap On dealer how to setup, capture and understand what you're trying to find and fix  Smiley

Trust me.  Autonerdz will know how and they're only a phone call or keyboard stroke away. We even have remote viewing for PC sharing help.  Ask Snap On to do that  Smiley Smiley

Good luck with your purchase. You've been advised.
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2012 at 12:37pm by drdiesel1 »  

Untitled-2_010.jpg (77 KB | 752 )
Untitled-2_010.jpg

IP Logged

jarvissamuel
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Denver Colorado, Colorado, USA
Denver Colorado
Colorado
USA

Reply #61 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 12:14pm

CW stopped by the shop this morning and we had a brief Pico introduction.  I wanted to thank him for taking the time and effort to stop by and he brought doughnuts. I hope it was helpful.

Sam

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #62 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 1:03pm

Thank you, Sam.   Smiley

If he wants another session, we do remote sessions.  We can arrange for someone to join us in our PC and run Pico live in a car here with one of us to guide and answer questions.  We can do these for anyone anywhere with a good internet connection.  Just need to schedule it in advance.   Wink

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

ScannerDanner
Freshman Member

South Park, Pennsylvania, USA
South Park
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #63 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 11:20am

Hey guys
I just found this thread by chance and since I apparently caused some of this ruckus, I thought I would add a thought. First I agree with what you guys are saying with the support system in place on this fine website. What little I know about it so far, it looks top notch. Second, please forgive me for so many Verus videos Roll Eyes  we are part of Snap-Ons S-Tech training program and I have ten of them for my class alone, so a lot of the time it is my tool of choice by default. I have to say that as a pico user for over 8 years, there is nothing like it. Especially my 4000 series. I recently did a Video on a Pontiac Vibe with injector problems and showed a method where you can see injector flow using a pressure transducer on the rail. Anyway I tried using the Verus first with their 100 psi pressure transducer. With the sample rate set at max and the time base set very low, I still could not make out the detail that the pico showed in the video. I wish I would have stored that picture. Anyway, this is only one example of where I needed my pico to do the job right. 

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #64 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 12:27pm

ScannerDanner wrote on Jul 3rd, 2012 at 11:20am:
since I apparently caused some of this ruckus

Not that I am aware of, Paul.  It's a great ruckus though and I have thoroughly enjoyed it.  Kudos to you if you had any part in it.   Smiley

As I have said many times before, the Verus/Modis etc are excellent scopes and can outperform most anything out there but a Pico so are a fine choice really.

Glad you are enjoying the site.

Speaking of transducers....have you seen our Wrangler From Hell video?

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

ScannerDanner
Freshman Member

South Park
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #65 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 7:01pm

Quote:

No, where can I view it? Thanks

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

T. Pike
Freshman Member
Picogroup

Thomasville, North Carolina, North Carolina, USA
Thomasville, North Carolina
North Carolina
USA

Reply #66 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 7:47pm

ScannerDanner wrote on Jul 3rd, 2012 at 7:01pm:
Quote:

Hi Paul, I know the link was posted here, but I can't locate it. It is posted on youtube in four parts. Just do a search on "Wrangler from Hell" and you'll see it.

IP Logged

ScannerDanner
Freshman Member

South Park
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #67 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 8:01pm

T. Pike wrote on Jul 3rd, 2012 at 7:47pm:
ScannerDanner wrote on Jul 3rd, 2012 at 7:01pm:
Quote:

Hi Paul, I know the link was posted here, but I can't locate it. It is posted on youtube in four parts. Just do a search on "Wrangler from Hell" and you'll see it.

ok thanks buddy  Smiley

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #68 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 8:38pm

Paul,

The YouTube one is in parts.

Here is the complete one:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1245369490/

It's also in our download along with a bunch more stuff I'm sure you will enjoy:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1324494080

Also tips on searhing the boards here:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1331151830

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

K2356

Elec-Tech Auto

Winnipeg Manitoba Canada, Manitoba, Canada
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Manitoba
Canada

Reply #69 - Nov 5th, 2013 at 10:42pm

drdiesel1 its pretty clear you have no clue about how to use a Snap-on Scope. 

http://members.iatn.net/file/view/?id=38198&detailed=1

http://members.iatn.net/file/view/?id=40183&detailed=1

http://members.iatn.net/file/view/?id=44010&detailed=1

How much more detail do you need to find your problems?  I can zoom in, zoom out, use a filter or not  and get some real clear detailed waveforms. 

Also in terms of a cost... there is some pretty cheap modis's on ebay..... ohh and did I mention it comes with a Scanner and five gas s/w build into the system. Oh and it even has training program built right into the system for people that need training like you. Plus the fact it has the component test procedures with pinouts that show you which pin is which and where to test the component.

One other thing that the snap-on scopes/scanners have is the fact its boots up a heck of a lot quicker then a laptop and is more rugged for the shop environment and has less cables to trip over and its also a handheld scope vs. using a laptop and a separate box like the pico. I can tell you one thing without a questionable doubt.... I can scope a sensor with my modis a heck of a lot quicker then you can with your pico... I would have scoped the sensor before your laptop booted and pico program would have even opened. And That's a fact jack

Sorry Tom for adding to this post in a negative stance. However we both know that each Systems have different capabilities and that each one have Pro's and Con's in the way they work differently ,yet both can work effectively.  

Kevin Suttorp&&Elec-Tech Auto

IP Logged

Anthony Lamb
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

Reply #70 - Nov 6th, 2013 at 1:43am

K2356 wrote on Nov 5th, 2013 at 10:42pm:
How much more detail do you need to find your problems?

Kevin what about intermittents?

I like to have as much as I can in a single capture.
Have a look  at the 2 pictures below.
There is all the information you need to diagnose this vehicle.

The first one is of a intermittent stall with a 20 second screen with 1us between samples.

The second one is when it stalled out and when zoomed in.

All up was about 30 mins of diag time and found the problem including finding a paper manual for a wiring diagram.

Following a flow chart or a component test would have taken you all over the place and wasted a bunch of time.

As said before the price of a new Verdict, Modis ultra or a Verus pro costs more than a Pico, laptop and a few factory scanner tools.

Also it is sad that snap on is heading down the track of wireless scopes Sad.

K2356 wrote on Nov 5th, 2013 at 10:42pm:
I would have scoped the sensor before your laptop booted and pico program would have even opened.

Simple solution is to turn the computer on before starting work at the start of the day and your ready to go.

20_second_screen.jpg (158 KB | 708 )
20_second_screen.jpg
when_stalling.jpg (136 KB | 643 )
when_stalling.jpg

IP Logged

K2356

Elec-Tech Auto

Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Manitoba
Canada

Reply #71 - Nov 6th, 2013 at 8:25am

Anthony if you are thinking that a Snap-on scope/Modis cant find intermittents saddly you are mistaken.

I love my laptops and I also dont like killing them, Leaving one running all day does nothing but reduce the lifespan of them..Heat is a killer.

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #72 - Nov 6th, 2013 at 9:18am

Kevin,

All I can say is that if you had a proper PicoScope experience you would be singing a different tune.  Wink

You are NOT going to zoom in on a Snap-On scope capture because it runs fully zoomed in.  You can only stop and zoom out to see a larger picture.  But you surely know this.  Pico can zoom in to electron microscope magnification levels of over three million X.  Why would you want to?  Because a Pico can make a continuous capture long enough, while maintaining detail, where you can actually use that much zoom.

Pico is up to a thousand times more powerful than any of the Snap-On scopes.  And that's not an opinion.

To each his own though and, if you are afraid of PCs and desire a native hand held tool, then you can't do any better than a Snap-On scope.

PCs are a fact of life now in a modern well equipped shop though and they do just fine running all day every day.  There are so many ways to deploy Pico equipment that the setup/boot time up is just a non-issue.
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2013 at 9:55am by Tom Roberts »  

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

K2356

Elec-Tech Auto

Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Manitoba
Canada

Reply #73 - Nov 6th, 2013 at 10:15am

HI Tom
  Thanks for the reply, and we both know that using a snap-on scope we can set the time base to 50 microseconds. Why would we want to see something this fast... if we want to see "extreme" detail. Then with the Zoom we can manipute the waveform to what we want to see. Is this a setting that we would commonly use in the Automotive field..... I can say Ive never needed that powerful of a setting... so why would we need that much power in a snap-on scope or any other scope for that matter. 3 million X is redundent IMO. Anyways both scopes can catch glitches and both scopes can work effectively on diagnosing various problems. Again both systems have different capabilities and that each one have Pro's and Con's in the way they work differently.
You said "To each his own" I think thats well said.

On the issue of using laptops... I have various laptops that I use daily..... Do I like laptops for todays diagnosing vehicle complaints...  "No" they have so many draw backs compared to handheld tooling. but alas everymanufacture has went this way so we have been forced to adapt. Do laptops run hotter after running all day.. Yes.. does battery life get compromised.. Yes... does haveing extra wires kicken around get in the way... Yes.... Do the constant updates become a pain..Yes.
   I realize that the pico setup can be piggybacked onto a tablet  or laptop and I am sure some of the members here have some awesome setups that make it quicker.... But when you compare the basic setups ... I think you cant argue that getting setup and actually scoping a sensor is quicker with a Snap-on scope. Which improves productivity.

Either scope work great for the field we work in. In my opinion they are two of the best scopes in this  trade.Just they work differently.

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #74 - Nov 6th, 2013 at 10:33am

K2356 wrote on Nov 6th, 2013 at 10:15am:
Why would we want to see something this fast...

Have you ever validated an inductive discharge ignition system primary drive?

Do laptops run hotter after running all day.. Yes..

You should take your laptop to the shop.  Something is wrong with it if it is getting hotter. 

does battery life get compromised.. Yes...

After time yes.  Just like anything else...like a Modis....

does haveing extra wires kicken around get in the way... Yes....

What extra wires?  There is only one extra wire....the USB cable.

Do the constant updates become a pain..Yes.

Updates are optional but usually a good idea....not always though.   Roll Eyes

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7