Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Antilock brakes locking (Read 13,779 times)
broncwonk
Freshman Member

Antilock brakes locking
Aug 27th, 2009 at 7:59am

I have recently been experiencing intermittent lock-up on the rear drum brakes on my 2002 Pontiac Sunfire. The right rear wheel particularly, will grab and hold briefly on gravel (like my driveway and the road we live on), especially when the car has been sitting overnight. When I stop the car, within five seconds I will hear something that sounds like a "thunk" from one of the rear brakes. None of this affects movement, except when I apply the brakes. That is, I'm not noticing any dragging while driving. I changed the rear linings at 150,000. Is there something I could have missed or moved or failed to do in that procedure?

IP Logged

Kevin Claybrook
Picogroup

Pasco, WA, Washington, USA
Pasco, WA
Washington
USA

Re: Antilock brakes locking
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 12:54pm

I am doubtfull that this is an abs issue but would bet it is a base brakes issue.  Are you braking when rear brakes grab?  I would pull the drums back off for another inspection to start.  Make sure you don't have any wheel cylinders leaking.  Brake fluid on shoe linnings can make them sticky and can cause brake grab.  Did you have the drums turned when you replaced shoes??  Out of round drums could be an issue also.  If you don't find anything scuff the shoes and drums with sand paper and clean both with brake cleaner and go from there.

IP Logged

brandonb
Super Nerd
Picogroup

arizona, Arizona, USA
arizona
Arizona
USA

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 6:38pm

i agree with kevin, i see this all the time.........warped drums.......sometimes a brake adjustment can remedy it but not usually......you can get them turned at car quest for 20 bucks?

i make my living on oem engineering blunders

IP Logged

Mike Lappert
Freshman Member
Picogroup

Middlefield, Ohio, USA
Middlefield
Ohio
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 4:58pm

I've had good luck replacing the hardware springs for this. If the springs are too weak, they'll let the shoes come out too early, too hard. Also keep your adjustment on the loose side. The drum should spin free, with no drag.

mikelappert  
IP Logged

broncwonk
Freshman Member

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 7:38am

Sorry to be so late getting back to this. The out of round drum sounds reasonable. I have replaced the sprng set, so this week I will pull both drums and turn them.  Thanks for the advice.

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky, Kentucky, USA
Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 1:03pm

Yeah I agree with these guys. Be sure to CAREFULLY inspect everything before you disassemble it - look for fluid leaks, etc. One good test is to take a coiled brake spring on the concrete floor. It should go thud and not bounce a lot. if it makes a twang and bounces up you have found a bad spring. (this will not work with the big unisprings - only coiled springs) Also hold them up to the light and see if you can see any gaps in the coils - if you can they are bad.

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician
Elevation: AVG 648 ft.

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 1:06pm

Also I have noticed on some brake linings that they will actually freeze to the drum when it gets cold. the lining will get wet, freeze to the drum, then grab hard when you drive off. Once this happens, it will ruin your return springs too. Also, make sure you didn't accidentally put the adjuster on the wrong side, parking brake is adjusted properly, and make sure you didnt lose the wave washer off the adjuster. Finally, did you lubricate the backing plate ledges?

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Brad H
Super Nerd

Elevation 367 metres

Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, Australia
Kalgoorlie
Western Australia
Australia

Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 4:24pm

I also dab a SMALL amount of coppercote lubricant on the contact surface of the backing plate where the shoe sits.
This helps the shoes return to the correct position & not get hung up.

I also file a small chamfer on the leading & trailing edge of the liner.

Brad

DILLIGAF
blmechanical  
IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #8 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 11:36pm

What is coppercote Brad? Have never heard of it... I always use SYLGlyde barke lube. Is coppercote better?

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Brad H
Super Nerd

Elevation 367 metres

Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, Australia
Kalgoorlie
Western Australia
Australia