Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
electraspec/electrajet vs. Pico (Read 41,883 times)
fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Re: electraspec/electrajet vs. Pico
Reply #45 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 2:23pm

Do you see what we were talking about? The upper line is all the ignition events, sparks, and the blue trace was captured using an inductive probe.There are four firing events per two cycles; including that of the synch cylinder.
The synch cylinder, in the engine bay,  has a probe on it.
       I am talking about the captures just posted.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #46 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 2:30pm

Oh yeah!
           Then see Joecar's second post, it shows the first firing event for the synch cylinder zoomed in. As I said the download for the operating software is free, if you see a psd file, or psdata file posted here, you can load it and zoom in on it. Bravo!

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Sam1
Super Nerd

Reply #47 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 12:30am

joecar+ wrote on Jan 25th, 2009 at 1:48pm:
With the PicoScope, you can set the time base to a large value and capture "many" events like fisher said above (in regards to 8 cylinder ignition)... see the first attachment (1976 Datsun 4 cylinder ignition)...

red
=capacative probe on coil...

on coil high tension lead, not just on coil, right?

what about other cars with one coil per cylinder or per 2 cylinders, how would one get the firing parade display like the display of the old coil/dizy setup?

Sam1  
IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California, California, USA
Southern California
California
USA

Reply #48 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 1:11pm

The capacitive probe was on the coil ht lead on that car...

On my other cars which have multiple coils, the capacitive probe works both ways: on the secondary lead and on the coil itself (clamp it on the coil core which wraps around the outside of the coil).

For my V6 waste-spark DIS which has 3 coils, I clamp on 3 capacitive probes.

For my V8 individual coil per plug, I use 2 capacitive probes at a time and view 2 at a time... or I use the COP probe and view one at a time... this is where a Mix Master would allow you to see all 8 paraded.

I have waveforms of those two on my other laptops (I have to find which one).

Cheers
Joe

IP Logged

Sam1
Super Nerd

Reply #49 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 3:22am

fisher wrote on Jan 25th, 2009 at 2:15pm:
So Sam, my Quickscope actually will do down to 200 nanoseconds per division (still only 256 samples on the screen).  One great place for literature is AESWave.com. They are here on the West Coast of the USA. They have two very good books for learning to use a scope. They have a LOT of accessories and they even sell PICO too but no forum there either.
  The two books are short and quite teach the basics... it is relavent to learn about thing like OHM's law, inductance, capacitance, floating grounds, electromagnetism... these things are gleaned from books about electricity... I have a couple good ones, one from the AESWave site as well as the two scope books from AESWave; and one Marine/ Industrial Engineer's manual for maintenance and repair of AC equipment.
  Education outside of scope use regarding electricity and electronics is an obvious necessity.

Fisher;
can you name a few of those books?
what do you think of Advanced Automotive Fault Diagnosis?

Sam1  
IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #50 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 8:52am

I have not heard of your book. AESwave REALLY has the stuff. I was just there and got the names of these two: "ATTS:Getting to know Automotive Lab Scopes" and "Lab Scopes: Intro and Advanced".
   The first is about fifty dollars US and the second about forty U.S. dollars.
    If you go to their site you will see the column on the left, look for the books.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California, California, USA
Southern California
California
USA

Reply #51 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 10:21pm

Sam1,

I couldn't find the particular traces I mentioned a few posts ago (I think it was on the laptop that required a new hard drive... I have about 4 laptops and several desktops... I lost count...  Cheesy)...

but here is an example from my Firebird V8 ("Alloytec V8") showing #1 cylinder firing, #1 injector voltage, and the current thru INJ1 fuse which feeds the coils and injectors on bank 1 (odd cylinders)... I added the notation using MS Paint.

BTW:
see the injector voltage, it has an inductive kick upto almost 120V... I use the 20:1 attenuator for this (I read your other post), and I told channel C (the green one) that it was the 20:1 probe, this allows the  displayed voltage trace to be scaled correctly.

IP Logged

Sam1
Super Nerd

Reply #52 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 2:24am

Thanks Joe, it was nice of you to go hunt for this and post it. Smiley

Sam1  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4