Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Engine "rattle" immediately prior to kno (Read 44,898 times)
Sleuth
Ex Member

Re: Engine "rattle" immediately prior to kno
Reply #30 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 4:52am

Yup, but it could hurt you somewhat if you dont have good tight valve guides w/ seals etc....Race cars do , but we are getting off the subject somewhat.. Next time you check your oil, sniff the dipstick, does it smell like fuel? That is a good sign you have an engine management problem...If so you are diluting your fuel curve and you will see excessive emission on a gas analyzer, disconnect the pcv and retest..now its time to find out why... Not to mention what that gas mixture is doing to your rod bearing and internal components.

IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California, California, USA
Southern California
California
USA

Reply #31 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 1:54pm

Can spark plug gap influence knock...?

There's a GM TSB 03-06-04-060A saying to use iridium plugs gapped at 0.040" (instead of platiunum ones gapped at 0.060").

Does anyone know why the change...?

IP Logged

Sleuth
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 5:18am

Don`t know the answer to your question.You could have lean pockets that are not getting burned when this is happening.  If you were to check timing advance when it is happening-cruise speed, then massage your IAT signal(making it hotter retards timing) by adding some resistance to the circuit-cruise speed.You could index your plugs, modify them to where the flame front is being thrown to where you want it in each cylinder. I find this hard to do with plat-iridium plugs, you can index them but it is impossible to make them better because of the design. An old race trick is to grind the ground electrode-strap to an angle-marking the plug for correct indexing, another way to drilling the electrode and ground strap, but it is time consuming, works great.
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_108762/article.html
Here is a link to something you may find interesting
Dave

IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California
California
USA

Reply #33 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 8:05am

Dave, thanks, I'll read that link.

IP Logged

Sleuth
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Apr 25th, 2008 at 2:40pm

Any progress? Been smokin` the neighborhhod up? Anything?

Cool

IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California
California
USA

Reply #35 - Apr 26th, 2008 at 12:22pm

Quote:
Any progress? Been smokin` the neighborhhod up? Anything?

Cool
Hi Dave,

Thanks for asking...

I applied TEC one time only, and it was a big improvement, altho on a hot day in slow traffic it will knock slightly.

I still need to check my plugs again, and to check my knock sensors (under the intake manifold which is tucked under the cowl-overhang; I'm waiting for a manifold gasket set; the cooling system does not pass thru the manifold, so I am thankful)...

And my Mrs makes sure to keep me busy with other things... Grin

The 'rattle' seems to have moved from low range (1500 rpm) to mid range (2500 rpm)... it happens as you increase throttle thru low range, and it then stops as you keep increasing throttle to mid range.... I could be looking in the wrong place, but it does seem to me to be engine related... it's annoying, and I'm wondering what it is...

I have been under the car with a rubber hammer, I found this:
- the stock catback is sliding back from the Y pipe... I tightened the stock band clamp using a large breaker bar, but it is still sliding back... the Y pipe OD must have crimped, I'll expand it back out with a pipe stretcher tool;
- the O2 sensors (four) have a ring (for breathing fresh air I assume) which rattles and vibrates, but the sound it makes is very low;
- I need new motor/trans mounts, they're not broken but they're worn/soft/stretchy;
- the whole exhaust system has a very light rattle, but it doesn't seem to come from the cats;

I have been logging with the scantool every day and studying the logs; I'm logging pids like cylinder airmass to see if there's an abrupt change that may cause timing or AFR to change.

I have a Fluke color scopemeter (which I use for electronics) which I'm trying to connect up to the various sensors to take a recording when the rattle happens, but it's not so simple to figure out how to probe without puncturing wires (I'm a bit apprehensive about that) and how to run the test leads from engine bay to driver's seat;
I'm not too happy with the Fluke, it's not easy to use and the recording/playback user interface isn't very good.
I'm just about to buy a Pico Quad from AutoNerdz...  Wink

Cheers,
Joe
Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3