Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Engine "rattle" immediately prior to kno (Read 44,939 times)
joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California, California, USA
Southern California
California
USA

Engine "rattle" immediately prior to kno
Mar 15th, 2008 at 4:29pm

Car: 2001 Firebird Trans Am (5.7L V8, 4L60E, 3.23 axle).

Symptom:
Lightly opening the throttle at 1000-1500 RPM in 3rd gear you will hear a "rattle" just prior to onset of spark knock; and then when coasting with zero throttle under the same conditions the rattle can also be heard; otherwise if throttle is opened a larger amount, the rattle/knock don't occur.

the "rattle" sound is distinct from the sound spark knock makes, and is coming from the engine, and not from chassis;
under no load (rev up in neutral while car is moving at same speed or stationary) the rattle/knock cannot be heard;

MAF sensor is clean, air cleaner filter is new, no air leaks, long term fuel trims are +/- 1%, MAP/TPS show sensible values, plugs/wires are new, plugs look normal and not fouled, ECT is from 192F-199F, running 91 unleaded (CA), octane boost and/or mixing in 100 unleaded makes no difference, fuel filter changed every 15K miles, fuel rail pressure normal 58 psi, car came with no EGR.

TCC is in applied state when rattle/knock occurs (factory programmed).

I have noticed some oil in the PCV plumbing and a light amount of oil on engine side of the throttle plate.

Questions:
- what is the "rattle"...? It seems related to spark knock, but could it be something else (flex plate, valvetrain, pistons)...?
- the car has always knocked since new, I have never been able to correct this, what else can I look at...?

Thanks, I enjoy reading this site.   Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2008 at 6:15pm by joecar+ »  

IP Logged

Ronnie
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Love Pico

Re: Engine "rattle" immediately prior to kno
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 1:06pm

I just did a search for TSB;s pertaining to your concern and came up with a spark knock related to the rear knock sensor.
Due to it's location it is easy to fill cavity with water from hood seal causing the sensor to not work correctly and or set a code P0332.
I have ran across this on Trucks but not in your application.Although it does list your application as a candidate for this condition.I would view a scanner and look at the knock sensor Pids along with computer advance and determine if this is indeed a spark knock you are hearing(piston slap).
All I got.
Post up some more info and people will give you more direction.
Ronnie.

Ronnie Leverett
dale0961  
IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California
California
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 3:31pm

Ronnie,

Thanks for the reply.

I checked the operation of my knock sensors, the audible knock seems to correlate with KR seen my the logs...
the only knock pid that the PCM reports seems to be KR (knock retard degrees)... see attached.

[oops... I forgot to position the cursor]

Ok, I'll pull the manifold off and check the knock sensors for water/corrosion [I have a new set of knock sensors].

The only DTC I get is P0420 (bank 1 cat efficiency), and I'm going to diagnose this soon
(it happened when I put new O2 sensors [only because I had them] prior to a smog test;
I'll swap left/right after-cat sensors and see if it's the left cat or the O2 sensor)...
you can see HO2S12 V is reacting too soon in the attached pic.

I do hear piston slap at cold idle, but it does go away once warmed up or under any load.

I'll post more info...

KR.gif (48 KB | )
KR.gif

IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California
California
USA

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 3:35pm

Another log...

The "rattle" occurred just about where the vertical line cursor is.

I'll post more info as I progress...
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2008 at 8:02am by joecar+ »  

IP Logged

Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 8:20pm

Hi Joe,

I really like that graphing you're using. If you don't mind, what scanner/graphing program are you using?

By the way, you seem more like a technician rather than a non-technician.

Thanks,

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California
California
USA

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 8:52pm

Carl Grotti wrote on Mar 17th, 2008 at 8:20pm:
Hi Joe,

I really like that graphing you're using. If you don't mind, what scanner/graphing program are you using?

By the way, you seem more like a technician rather than a non-technician.

Thanks,
Hi Carl,

I'm using a scantool called "EFI Live" which consists of a hardware module (smaller than a cigarette packet) and software (which produced the graphs you see above);

the module can record in black box mode, or with a PC/laptop it does "live" mode;

If you want the website link, please let me know.

I'm an electrical engineer, but I used to work in my Dad's transmission shop (family business) a long time ago.

Thanks
Joe

IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California
California
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 8:56pm

I have another log from my commute home today...

The "rattle" was clearly heard right where the cursor is in the attached pic and is immediately followed by audible knock.

I'll post more as I progress...  Smiley

Thanks for viewing.

IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California
California
USA

Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 9:04pm

Questions:
- is top engine cleaner one of the fixes for knock...?
- if so, what is the correct way to apply TEC...?

IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California
California
USA

Reply #8 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 8:34am

Another question: if oil is being drawn thru the PCV plumbing into the intake manifold, could this be a direct cause of knock
(other than the indirect cause which would be the resulting carbon deposits in combustion chambers)...?

Does oil ingestion lower the effective octane number of the fuel/air charge...?

Carl,
I'm not a technician in my daytime job, so I posted in this section of the forum;
I do like reading the technician's section, there's some very good insights there.  Wink

Thanks,
Joe

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #9 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 10:52am

Quote:
if oil is being drawn thru the PCV plumbing into the intake manifold, could this be a direct cause of knock
(other than the indirect cause which would be the resulting carbon deposits in combustion chambers)...?

Yes.

Quote:
Does oil ingestion lower the effective octane number of the fuel/air charge...?

I don't know, but it sure can make an engine Ping.  For example it is common for some Chrysler V8 engines to begin to leak under the intake and ingest oil.  Often times not enough to really make it smoke or show other evidence.  Unmanageable engine ping is one of the clear symptoms though.

I can see by your nice graphs that the knock retard is kicking in.

Quote:
what is the correct way to apply TEC...?

Sounds like you have already considered carbon knock.  This can make some really bad sounds and is often related to engine speed and load.

I have used the TEC many times with excellent results.  I pour it in while keeping RPM just high enough to prevent stall and, when I get the the bottom of the can, pour the rest in quickly enough to snuff the engine but not so fast as to hydro lock it  Shocked

Then let set overnight or all day.  Then take it out somewhere where you can blow it out with out getting a ticket for obliterating the traffic visibility for miles  Grin

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California
California
USA

Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 2:07pm

Hi Tom,

Ok, I'll have to "revise" the PCV plumbing... PCV is picked off from rear of both valve covers (Firebird style)... I'll swap to the valley cover PCV pick off (Corvette style).

Tom Roberts wrote on Mar 18th, 2008 at 10:52am:
I pour it in while keeping RPM just high enough to prevent stall and, when I get the the bottom of the can, pour the rest in quickly enough to snuff the engine but not so fast as to hydro lock it.

Ok, thanks.

Tom Roberts wrote on Mar 18th, 2008 at 10:52am:
...Then take it out somewhere where you can blow it out with out getting a ticket for obliterating the traffic visibility for miles  Grin

I live in So. Cal. so I'll probably have to do it at night somewhere remote, this is going to be fun...  Cheesy

Thanks, appreciate your comments,
Joe
Wink

IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California
California
USA

Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 8:18pm

Quote:
...Then take it out somewhere where you can blow it out with out getting a ticket for obliterating the traffic visibility for miles

How does a shop or dealer service dept. do this...?  Cool

IP Logged

Sleuth
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 7:06am

Hey joe,
Usually they use a tool made by several tool companies that mist the chemical into the intake system--look for a company called Run-Rite, I have had good success with there product-Intake cleaner. One can also use water..its an old trick..back in the day.

http://www.efilive.com/

Here is a link to the soft Joe is using.

Have you played with there "ve tool"  Joe? I like the way they graph it and show fill blocks, very interesting and similar to a tool called Escan, automotive test solutions.Have you found it to be accurate.
Dave

IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California
California
USA

Reply #13 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 1:31pm

Dave,

Thanks, I'll look into Run_Rite.

Ve tool as in "virtual ve tool", no I have not used that;
I have used their flash/edit tool (which is GM specific) on another PCM.

Thanks,
Joe

IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California
California
USA

Reply #14 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 1:39pm

Progress so far (...I have a day time job and a wife...):

I now have a few cans of "Seafoam" and a can of GM TEC... will do this Fri/Sat.

I'll be removing the intake manifold to check the knock sensors (I read the TSB pointed out by Ronnie, thanks Ronnie)... I have new sensors so I'll replace them, and while I'm there I'll replace the valley cover with the later MY valley cover which has integral PCV plumbing... this should eliminate oil ingestion thru the PCV plumbing.

Thanks, I'll post up as I progress.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3