Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

89 Bronco II default timing (Read 7,930 times)
duncanparks
Freshman Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

89 Bronco II default timing
Feb 8th, 2006 at 12:34pm

I have a 89 Bronco II manual transmission that sometimes when it is started myself and the mechanics who have looked at it thinks it defaults to an ignition timing very retarded, won't rev over 2500 rpm and back fires.  I have changed the ECM and distributer pickup and sender units, checked all connection and added extra grounds.  It appears more often when the engine hasn't been started in a week or so.  If I put a battery charger on it, it starts in the right timing.  Any help would be appreciated since I have working on this for over a year.
Thanks

IP Logged

Randy
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Chewelah WA, Washington, USA
Chewelah WA
Washington
USA

Re: 89 Bronco II default timing
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 12:43pm

Hi Duncan
        Have you performed a complete pinout test on computer koeo , koer. What is the timing when it is having the problem.

randydllr  
IP Logged

duncanparks
Freshman Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 12:47pm

No computer printout, just a timing light.  I don't remember what it indicated but wasnot advancing the timing.

IP Logged

Randy
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Chewelah WA, Washington, USA
Chewelah WA
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 12:55pm

Hi Duncan
      It seems you may have an intermentent power problem.When you hook up battery the problem goes away. I would check eec power relay and perform pinout test . Check for voltage drops, use breakout box if possible makes it much easier.

randydllr  
IP Logged

duncanparks
Freshman Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 1:01pm

Thanks,  Any guess what the min votage should be during cranking getting to ecu?

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 9:48pm

You ought measure about 11 volts or so, across the terminals (the batt posts themselves), during a normal cranking event.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 9:07am

Duncan,

I don't have a silver bullet on that one for you.

This problem may require the use of a scanner to get codes, do tests, and analyze data.  Also a scope may be needed to zero in on the issue looking at the PIP and SPOUT and primary control.  The results of these tests would have to be shared so we could offer more suggestions.  The problem can be solved.

This link will help you find a qualified professional in your area to take care of this.  This may be the most cost effective option.  Shops on this search engine are members of the International Automotive Technicians Network: 

http://www.iatn.net/dir/search.asp ;

They will be most likely to have the equipment, expertise and resources to tackle this most efficiently.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged