Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Suggestions for Playing Nice Here (Read 9,823 times)
Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Suggestions for Playing Nice Here
Sep 5th, 2004 at 3:29pm

These are just some general guidelines on how to play nice:

As The Autonerdz Community Forums grow, we gather a more diverse group of personalities.  It’s important that we all are reminded to participate in a manner that encourages sharing and discussion.  We also have a wide range of education, training, and experience.  No one’s input is less valued than another’s.  We have no appointed ‘Correctness Police’ and if someone’s statements are clearly incorrect or simply differ from your own, please remember to keep the exchanges respectful of others.  Critically reasoned arguments are productive and can be a great learning experience.  What is counterproductive is suggesting that someone who does not agree with you, or is technically wrong, is somehow stupid or should know better.  The use of prejudicial language in an argument only serves to reduce the value of the discussion.  Any language, which is designed to provoke an emotional response, is counterproductive. 

We are not here to ‘win’ arguments or engage in personal contests of dominance and humiliation.  We are here to share information, ideas and techniques for all of our benefit.  That being said, we believe strongly in the freedom of speech within the obvious limits stated in the membership agreement.  You are not likely to be banned by the administrator of these forums unless you go way over the edge.  However, one of the natural consequences of belittling others is that you will likely not have anyone to talk to here because everyone will simply ignore you.

I encourage all of you to post without concern that you will be ridiculed for making a mistake.  Having the courage to speak is respected here and you will always stand tall against those who ridicule you.  After all, it is my long history of mistakes that is my best qualification to teach others how to avoid them.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

StitchB
Super Nerd
Picogroup

lake stevens, Washington, USA
lake stevens
Washington
USA

Re: Suggestions for Playing Nice Here
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 4:39am

Tom, came across this, this morning and give credence to the comment I made to you @ the trade show about having a great bunch of players, but tean again a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, you seem to have the right mind set, cheers to you.

You alluded to some being afraid of making mistakes, I am to old to worry about it and did not worry much even young, but asking questions as far back as grade school destroyed may potential careers from the abuse taken, how sad.

There is one valuable forum out there that I will not mention as this is monitored and some might find it offensive, but regardless of how valuable it is, I no longer  the site, just not worth the insults.

StithB

IP Logged