Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

hello (Read 5,404 times)
Dan_Mullin
Freshman Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

hello
Jan 31st, 2004 at 7:53pm

hi my name is dan mullin. 30 years old. L1 mastertech. I thought I knew it all. Boy was I wrong. you'll be hereing a lot from me. I also own a modis (please don't make fun of me i'm stuck with it) I'm also not very computer literate but i'm learning. nice to meet you guys. more later.

IP Logged

GM_A_Tech
Freshman Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: hello
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 8:42pm

Hey Dan How about a few words on the Modis as i am thinking of a purchase 8)

IP Logged

Dan_Mullin
Freshman Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 10:31pm

on iatn there is a snap on vantage forum thats mainly modis stuff now, you will get you best info from there but i'll do my best. the scanner functions are the same as the red brick but you have more options as far as display, you can put more pids on the screen at one time or bring it down to two so it updates faster. it also comes with all domestic and asian softwere including trans and abs, euro is extra. the database is the same as the vantage or the otc perception. many times a wireing diagram will be correct in the modis where alldata is wrong(which is wierd because I thought they got their info from the same place). This is very convenient because I am trying to fix cars. in scope mode it seems to have every option i've seen on other scopes, but I don't have experience with too many others. screen resolution is excellent. they have also prepared this machine for many future options. its windows ce based so you can plug a keyboard and mouse into it and basically use it like a table pc. there is much more feel free to ask any more questions.

IP Logged

GM_A_Tech
Freshman Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 8:09pm

Dan great info , OK heres the big one HOW MUCH? Grin

IP Logged

Dan_Mullin
Freshman Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 9:23pm

I paid 7100 plus 300 twice to update and the next update is 700 in a few weeks.
     I must be honest though, with my employers blessing I do a ton of sidework so this tool is a good fit for me, but it seems like with the updates we have to pay for things that should have been there in the first place.
   Using these forums is new to me and with the info I have now I think I would prefer a genesis scantool and a picoscope. But when I think that, I remember all the times at midnight, with no access to alldata when i've found a pinout that I needed.
     I think mainly my unhappyness with it are the computer type glitches that all modis seem to have+ I REALLY want access to mode 6 data and i'm told it won't be in this next update but in 6months   Undecided

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 10:13pm

I hope you don't mimd me jumping in  here.   A lot of techs like the Modis.  I would never run down another instrument.  The point is to get the tools you are comfortable with and that will do what you want them to.  They all have different limitations and capabilities.  My job is to make you think about them and hopefully understand scopes better and how to make money with them.

The Modis concept of placing all the tools in one platform has some inherent disadvantages to having them separate.  When the tool is in use, none of it's capabilities are available for another job.  What do you do if one tech needs scanning and another a scope?  If the tool breaks, your SOL.  Usually individual tools do their job better than a tool that tries to do it all.  Of course if you can afford multiple Modi..... Shocked

IMHO, the future will have PC based tools.  Every tech will have a PC in the bay and have different modules available for it.  This is more cost effective  since every time you buy another stand alone you buy another computer too.  The PCs will be linked on a network sharing information database systems and shop management functions as well as internet resources.  With all the information gathered on a PC, it's all readily available for processing and sharing.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged