Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Hello to all (Read 7,436 times)
Fxnsht
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Fresno, California, USA
Fresno
California
USA

Hello to all
Jul 5th, 2017 at 6:29pm

Hello from California, I am a heavy equipment mechanic and a parts changer!  I am ashamed to admit it but its true. I am here to see what Pico scopes are all about? I am tired of guessing and not seeing what is happening? My employer will not be making the purchase, I will be, So I would like to get the most bang for my buck. I am a field tech my primary would be (no start) diesel equipment Cat 24v blades, scrapers a few Case 570"s front end loaders small 12v and a few trucks class 1 to class 7 diesel and gasoline engines. I was looking at the standard or the diesel kit and of course the training to maximize my investment. Being I have been doing this for 20 years and have yet to actually use a scope. I would like to thank Tom for his speedy replies to my inquiries and anyone who has any advice for me. One more thing I would also like to work on my own vehicles at home. I know, I know, I want it all don't I.

IP Logged

Jim kibble
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Caulfield north, Victoria, Australia
Caulfield north
Victoria
Australia

Re: Hello to all
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 3:36am

Hello,
Seems I was where you are now 2 months ago.
So I bought a Diesel kit from Tom.
I work on mostly 24 v Diesel Marine engines. Just finished a trip where in 14 days I tested 35  20 l Diesel marine engines.
Just quick tests, relative compression.
This was good enough to find one engine with some major issues which we are still looking at. I cant recommend Autonerdz enough.
Like you I purchased the unit myself. Its a new  hi tech world and you need to keep up or you'll be left out.

Oh and the membership and access to the forum you get with Toms kits are the cream. Dont buy a kit without the membership. You will  regret it for ever.
good luck,

IP Logged

busjockey
LSD Guide

The Diesel Nerd

Champaign, Illinois, USA
Champaign
Illinois
USA

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 10:34am

Fxnsht wrote on Jul 5th, 2017 at 6:29pm:
I am a heavy equipment mechanic

You got me at Heavy Equipment Mechanic, Cheesy
Welcome!  This is what I recommend.  Buy the 4425 Standard 4 Channel Kit.  This comes with enough stuff and then some to get you started, plus you said you want to work on stuff at home so the kit comes with secondary ignition leads and a cop adapter.  Plus this kit is the same price as a Diesel kit and you get more stuff in the standard Auto kit.  Then if you can afford it get a wps 500 master kit.  This comes with all the adapters you need to get you started.  Or if you can't swing that yet at least get some first look sensors.  Ask Tom about the First look Sensor Diesel Kit and he can give you the info on it.  Anyway if I can help you with anything else let me know.  I am a Transit Bus Technician so I work on big stuff like you and the other guys.  I've been scoping now for four years almost with a Pico and it has saved my butt tons of time on diag work.  I have tons of captures and case studies on Cummins Bus so you are in for a treat when you get on. Wink
Plus we also have a regular Diesel forum that is awesome too by the way.  Also I have started to do some presentations for Autonerdz on their youtube channel.  I have two parts up so far and I am still going. Smiley  This shows case studies on Buses I have worked on the past 4 years using the Pico and how it can benefit HD Technicians. Smiley
https://youtu.be/9BdUtgnddAw
https://youtu.be/O-9EJ6TFHeg
So when you get on here you will be in good hands.  There are quite a few HD Techs on here now and we help each other out. Smiley
Looking forward to seeing you in the picogroup. Smiley

Busjockey

IP Logged

Fxnsht
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Fresno, California, USA
Fresno
California
USA

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 8:23pm

I did it ordered the 4425 Standard 4 Channel Kit with the WPS500 Deluxe Pressure Transducer Kit with Membership Smiley Smiley Smiley Wink And boy oh boy do I need that Membership:-[Embarrassed  I was searching the forum for laptop recommendations. I didn't see anything about screen visibility outdoors, But then maybe I am thinking too much and just need to get started. Any advice will be appreciated?

Thanks Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

busjockey
LSD Guide

The Diesel Nerd

Champaign, Illinois, USA
Champaign
Illinois
USA

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 10:13pm

Fxnsht wrote on Jul 12th, 2017 at 8:23pm:
I did it ordered the 4425 Standard 4 Channel Kit with the WPS500 Deluxe Pressure Transducer Kit with Membership   

Welcome!  Great to have another HD guy in the ranks!  For laptops I like Dell but that is me. Smiley  I have a latitude with a I5 processor and 4 GB of Ram.  Get as much Ram as you can afford. Smiley  I believe Tom and Brian recommend to get twice as much ram than the system requirements. Smiley  Any other questions let me know. Smiley

Busjockey

IP Logged

busjockey
LSD Guide

The Diesel Nerd

Champaign, Illinois, USA
Champaign
Illinois
USA

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 10:25pm

Any advice will be appreciated?

First thing you should do is start going over the tutorials here in the forums.  It shows you how to use the Pico inside and out. 
Next start scoping as many known good vehicles you can get your hands on so you know what is good or bad.  Get it out and use it as many times as you can.  I frequently gather data and tinker on my lunch break. Smiley
Don't be afraid to ask questions, you will not be made fun of or poked at here.  This is a good group of Techs here who help each other out and their is not any dumb questions here. Smiley
Lastly get with Tom and Brian and have them walk you through getting online to attend Therapy sessions.  These happen once a month and they are awesome!  You will learn a lot by participating so I encourage you to participate. Smiley
Lastly, have fun dude! Cheesy
Have a good evening, if you need any help once again let me know. Smiley

Busjockey

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 8:39am

Any advice will be appreciated?

We recommend that the PC have at least a 2 GHz dual core processor or better and 4 gigs of RAM or more.

USB 3.0 is a plus but the 4425 works fine on 2.0 and you will not even notice a difference.  Performance is improved at some time bases using 3.0 though.

Windows 7 or higher is now required for the latest PicoScope builds.  (not RT)

Other than that, it's all personal preference and brand loyalty.

We have had really good reliability with the Lenovo brand.  There are also a lot of deployment ideas going back thirteen years here:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1083810927

Welcome to the Picogroup.   Smiley

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Fxnsht
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Fresno, California, USA
Fresno
California
USA

Re:advice
Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 7:28pm

Thank you to all. I want to thank Tom for answering my email over the weekend not once but twice! First time I ever received a reply over the weekend! For anyone thinking about purchasing from Autonerdz, this should speak volumes to you!
Now the rest is up to me. I will be taking all of your advice and start now.

Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

Rockyroad
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Eau claire, Wisconsin, USA
Eau claire
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #8 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 5:58pm

Hello all, and Tom,thank you for the fast approval. I'm a casual scope user for automotive work and some ham radio type electronics. I don't have a"real"scope yet,still beating myself up with my otc and hantek scopes. But,that will change someday. I'm attempting to get out of the BIG TRUCK I've been living in the past 14yrs as an otr driver and back into my first profession but stepping it up a notch to mostly diagnosis. I'm not so new to the game but,all the equipment and software is. After watching the "Danner"chronicles,he's made me feel stupid. I've realized I need to get up to speed,which is what led me here,the best source for all things scope related. I hope you don't mind my lurking around and trying to absorb as much pico knowledge as I can to make it a little easier when I can finally pull the trigger on one. I've herd good things about the forum and after a little perusal, I definitely agree. A nice group of respectful,knowledgeable professionals . Thanks for having me.

IP Logged

Spence
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Jeffersonville, Pennsylvania, USA
Jeffersonville
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #9 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 6:25pm

Rockyroad wrote on Aug 8th, 2017 at 5:58pm:
Hello all, and Tom,thank you for the fast approval. I'm a casual scope user for automotive work and some ham radio type electronics. I don't have a"real"scope yet,still beating myself up with my otc and hantek scopes. But,that will change someday. I'm attempting to get out of the BIG TRUCK I've been living in the past 14yrs as an otr driver and back into my first profession but stepping it up a notch to mostly diagnosis. I'm not so new to the game but,all the equipment and software is. After watching the "Danner"chronicles,he's made me feel stupid. I've realized I need to get up to speed,which is what led me here,the best source for all things scope related. I hope you don't mind my lurking around and trying to absorb as much pico knowledge as I can to make it a little easier when I can finally pull the trigger on one. I've herd good things about the forum and after a little perusal, I definitely agree. A nice group of respectful,knowledgeable professionals . Thanks for having me.

Well Rocky if you really want to get some knowledge the thing you want to do is get into downstairs as some of us call it. That would be the Picogroup. Your best value is to buy a PICO scope from Autonerdz. I think you'll find it worth as much if not more then the scope. On second thought the two go hand and hand.

Welcome to the site and hope to see ya part of the group.

Spence

N.B.S.   Dilly Dilly!  FJB
WWW WWW spencedecordre  
IP Logged

Rockyroad
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Eau claire, Wisconsin, USA
Eau claire
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #10 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 7:03pm

Thank you spence. I aim to do just that. Soon as I get over this little hump the next month,maybe two. In the mean time, I already screwed up and didn't even capture a signal yet. Posting in this thread and not making my own. Embarrassed
I'll figure it out,eventually!

IP Logged

Spence
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Jeffersonville, Pennsylvania, USA
Jeffersonville
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #11 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 7:41pm

Rockyroad wrote on Aug 8th, 2017 at 7:03pm:
Thank you spence. I aim to do just that. Soon as I get over this little hump the next month,maybe two. In the mean time, I already screwed up and didn't even capture a signal yet. Posting in this thread and not making my own. Embarrassed
I'll figure it out,eventually!

Relax! I've done worse and they let me still hang out here...  Cool

N.B.S.   Dilly Dilly!  FJB
WWW WWW spencedecordre  
IP Logged