Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Opinions on PC for Pico 4 channel (Read 5,590 times)
Tesla
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Opinions on PC for Pico 4 channel
May 10th, 2017 at 5:46pm

Hello,
I just received my Pico 4 channel scope from Tom, and I would appreciate any opinions on ram size, core size, etc for a dedicated laptop for my new scope.
I think I would like a touch screen, but beyond that, I'm not sure what works best for others on the forum here.
I'm new here, so I really appreciate the help.
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2017 at 7:34pm by Tesla »  

IP Logged

Dan W.
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Marion, Ohio, USA
Marion
Ohio
USA

Re: Opinions on PC for Pico 4 channel
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2017 at 7:26pm

I use a Lenovo Yoga 900 2 in 1 tablet, 8mb ram and i7 processor with touch screen. It works very well with my pico and is small enough to carry easily. I don't use the tablet mode much but the tent mode is handy when going for a test drive with the scope. I keep it on a fleximounts swing arm laptop mount on my toolbox, keeps it up out of the way so tools dont land on it.

Two things I have found is 1: the screen resolution needs to be adjusted down if you want to make markups and printouts/files in jpg, took me a long time to figure that one out. 2: since it is a relatively small screen I had it connected to a docking station with a larger monitor, later I found that the ac voltage from the docking station was messing up the signal from my pressure transducers. without the docking station it was fine.

Good luck!

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2017 at 8:38am

What we recommend is Windows 7 or higher, 2 GHz or better processor, 4 gigs or more of RAM, and USB 3.0 for the 4425 scope would be preferred.  Works fine on 2.0 though.

The rest is all personal preference and depends on how you are deploying it.

Lots of setup ideas in this thread:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1083810927

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

ProtecD
Picogroup

., United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2017 at 10:20pm

Be aware that on ALL 32bit (x86) computers that 4GB of ram is all that windows will see irrespective of how much you buy or want to use!

64bit computers allow much more ram (up to 192Gb on WinProfessional & 16Gb premium/ 8Gb basic)

For those concerned about older programs, XPMode allows those programs to run on a 64bit computer in a sandbox type environment in 32bit & very successfully I might add.
Please note: XPMode is a free fully licensed service pack 3 product but is not compatible with win7premium or below. That said, there are workarounds easily available by a gogglesearch.

Windows 7 professional is my preference on the Microsoft platform. 64bit i5 cf19 toughbook & a PC, both 8Gb ram and no issues whatsoever. Both on 27" touch screens side by side.
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2017 at 8:51am by ProtecD »  

IP Logged