Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Frustration W/Vibration Situation of Long Duration (Read 18,890 times)
seanof30306
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Tulsa, OK, Oklahoma, USA
Tulsa, OK
Oklahoma
USA

Frustration W/Vibration Situation of Long Duration
Oct 4th, 2016 at 12:04pm

Hi all, newb here.

Ok, so first, I'm not trying to freeload. I've been trying to find a shop with a PicoScope NVH in my area, but haven't been able to locate one.

OK, I actually did locate one, but it was at the biggest Chevy dealer in the area, and the service manager told me they'd had it for over two years, and not only did no one there know how to use it, they'd never even unboxed it.

I moved on.

I called Pico to see if they could refer me to a shop in my area that had one, but they said they couldn't give out customer information.

I'm in Tulsa, OK. If anyone has a PicoScope within a couple of hundred miles of me, I will GLADLY pay you for your services.

OK, 300 miles.

OK, 400 miles.

So I have a 1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula.

111,000 miles

305 V8

T5 manual transmission

I bought the car new, and have never (overly) abused it. It has always driven smoothly.

It is stock, with four exceptions.

It came with a 3.08 open differential. About 25,000 miles ago, I had a 3.42 gear and a Zexel-Torsen limited slip installed. There were no problems with the installation, and there were no vibration problems at all.

About 20,000 miles ago, the original, factory clutch began to slip. I replaced it with a Centerforce clutch kit. The flywheel was resurfaced. Everything was fine afterwards; no vibrations.

At around the same time, I installed a custom, mandrel-bent exhaust system. Again, no vibration(s).

At around the same time, I also installed Lakewood tubular control arms, KYB shocks and struts, and a complete Energy Suspension Polyurethane bushing kit, front and rear. No vibrations.

Around 10,000 miles ago, the car suddenly began vibrating at around 70mph. Beyond that, the faster you went, the worse the vibration got. I hadn't changed anything on the car for more than 10,000 miles.

I had the tires checked for true and balanced; no change.

I took it to a driveline shop. He said the universal joints were bad, so I had him install new Spicer front and rear u-joints. No change.

Took it back. He said the driveshaft was twisted. I bought an aluminum driveshaft out of a 2001 LS1 Camaro (they interchange), took it to a local driveshaft shop, had it checked for true and balanced, had new Spicer U-joints installed, and installed it. The vibration was unchanged.

Had the driveshaft balance checked by another driveshaft shop. It was dead on. The vibration was unchanged.

One day, I was sitting parked in the driveway with the transmission in neutral, and slowly revved the engine up. Starting at around 1,800 rpm, until about 2,400 rpm, it vibrated pretty significantly.

This was puzzling. In 5th gear, at 70 mph, the car is doing right at 2,200 rpm, so it makes sense that the engine vibration is causing it. What doesn't make sense is, the faster you go, the worse the vibration gets. When the engine vibrates while sitting still, with the transmission in neutral, the vibration tapers off after 2,500 rpm. What's more, when driving down the road at 70 mph, with the car vibrating, I can throw it up into neutral, and it still vibrates until the speed drops down to below 65, or so ... the engine is idling! I can run it up till it starts vibrating at 70 mph, throw it in neutral, and shut the engine completely off, and it still vibrates. The vibration actually gets worse at first, as soon as you put it in neutral, then it tapers off as you slow down.

I came to the conclusion that I had two separate vibrations. I decided to focus on the engine vibration.

I took the fan belt off of it . With them not turning, it would eliminate the alternator, power steering pump, water pump, air pump, etc as causal. The vibration was unchanged.

I put a new harmonic balancer on it. The vibration was unchanged.

Every time I'd talk to someone new about the problem, they'd tell me I had to start back at square-one, so I'd have the tires re-balanced, and the driveshaft re-balanced. It was utterly demoralizing, and expensive.

I got disgusted, and decided to park the car; the vibration was getting progressively worse, and I'd already thrown over a grand at the problem, with no resolution in sight.

Well, that turned into seven years with the car parked in my garage.

Last fall, I put the car back on the road, and got back to lighting money on fire trying to find the vibration(s). The tires had dry rotted and separated, so I replaced them with new ones. I had the wheels checked for true when they were being balanced. They were fine. The vibrations were unchanged.

At the insistence of my mechanic, I had the driveshaft balanced again; this time up to 150 mph, not 80. No change in the vibration(s)

My mechanic put the car up on the rack, and we disconnected the control arms, torque arm, panhard bar and rear shocks and checked the bushings. They were all good. We ran the car on the rack until it vibrated (I know, I know). We could hear a bearing in the transmission squealing intermittently. Loudly. You couldn't hear it in the car, but listening to it up on the rack, it was alarming. The transmission shifted perfectly, but a squealing bearing probably eventually turns into a seized bearing, and I wanted to get it fixed before that happened, and did real damage.

We asked around for the best transmission shop in the area. One guy's name kept coming up. I took the car to him and let him check it out. He said he had a piece of diagnostic equipment called "Chassis Ears" which would allow him to isolate the causes of the vibrations. He said he'd put the Chassis Ears on it, then pull the transmission, tear it down, and call me.

He called me the next day, telling me the transmission just needed a refresh; new bearings, seals and synchros, and the Chassis Ears had indicated the clutch was bad. He said he'd pulled the clutch off the car, and he could see where the balancing weights were out of whack. We agreed he'd replace the clutch, have the flywheel balanced and turned, and then have the new clutch balanced on the flywheel.

I went to pick the car up, and the vibrations were exactly as before.

I'm not going to go into detail over all the problems with the shop. I'm still battling with them, lawyers are involved, and it'll probably be a couple of months before it's resolved. There are two key elements, though:

1) I sent my old clutch back to Centerforce. Their engineer said there was nothing wrong with it. More importantly, he said there were signs the release bearing had been coming into contact with the balancing weights, which suggested an out-of-balance condition. Since the balance on the clutch had checked out perfectly, he said I should look at the flywheel.

2) After much back-and-forth, the transmission guy finally admitted not only had he not had the flywheel balanced, he hadn't had it resurfaced, either. He'd never even taken it off the car.

This definitely leads me to suspect the flywheel is the culprit in the case of the engine vibration. The transmission isn't right, and it's going to have to come back out. When it does, I'm going to have the flywheel trued and balanced, and have my original Centerforce clutch balanced to the flywheel, and put back on the car.

That won't address the chassis vibration, though. When he'd rebuilt the transmission, the transmission guy had put a new transmission mount on the car, and told me the engine mounts were bad, too. After I got it back, I inspected them. Even though the driveline angles were dead-on, they did look a little sketchy, so I had them replaced. At the same time, I had the rearend gone through; all new bearings and seals, and the ring and pinion setup checked.

Something changed. The car still vibrates, but before, where it would start at around 70, and get worse as you went faster, now it starts to taper off at around 80mph, and remains constant as you go faster and faster. It's vibrating at a much less severe level than before at high speed.

"A-HA!" You say. New motor mounts and rebuilding the rearend resolved the driveline vibration!"

Well, not exactly. As before, when you get it up to 70, where it starts vibrating, throw it up in neutral and shut the engine off, and it vibrates until it gets down to about 60. That can't be an engine vibration.

Wait, there's more! Now, sometimes it starts vibrating at 60, instead of 70. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it barely vibrates at all, even at 70. Sometimes it's almost as bad as before.

Maybe I have/had three vibrations.

Sigh .....

I'm totally, completely, absolutely, utterly exhausted, and out of things to replace.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Here's a youtube video of the vibration at about 1:23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZsitDTG61U

IP Logged

seanof30306
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Tulsa, OK, Oklahoma, USA
Tulsa, OK
Oklahoma
USA

Re: Frustration W/Vibration Situation of Long Duration
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2016 at 12:10pm

This video shows the area of the pressure plate where the engineer from Centerforce said he could see where the release bearing had been coming into contact with the pressure plate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-VRW1WXql4

IP Logged

Spence
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Jeffersonville, Pennsylvania, USA
Jeffersonville
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2016 at 12:41pm

Sean I will look at you stuff in more detail later. I will say I have taken plenty of centerforce pressure plates off to get rid of issues. We will not install them.

Care to come to Pa and we'll get ya figured out.

DLTWFC   Cool

N.B.S.   Dilly Dilly!  FJB
WWW WWW spencedecordre  
IP Logged

seanof30306
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Tulsa, OK, Oklahoma, USA
Tulsa, OK
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2016 at 9:23pm

Spence wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 12:41pm:
Sean I will look at you stuff in more detail later. I will say I have taken plenty of centerforce pressure plates off to get rid of issues. We will not install them.

Care to come to Pa and we'll get ya figured out.

DLTWFC   Cool

Thanks Spence. I only wish it was the Centerforce pressure plate.  It's got a Veleo clutch kit in it now, and the vibration is the same.

I think that rules clutch out.

IP Logged

autosparky
Super Nerd
Picogroup

blind worker

Porirua, New Zealand
Porirua
New Zealand

Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2016 at 1:22am

Maybe some Nerdz here has the Ford vibration test gear??

Or you could play with some wheel weights and clamp them with a hose clip on the drive shaft.

place some marks on the drive shaft and then keep moving the weight around to see if it gets better or worse

good luck

can't see, can't hear, can't remember

IP Logged

Wookie
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

DFW, Texas, USA
DFW
Texas
USA

Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2016 at 7:19pm

You state the vibration also occurs in neutral while revving above 1800 RPM. Some things you can do is remove transmission and retest (depending on starter location). I cant confirm on your specific vehicle but on many of the older cars I could install long starter bolts in the transmission and simply slide it back (while supporting it of course) and remove clutch/torque converter. This way you would eliminate those components from equation. It's fairly easy to do in the driveway as well.

Unfortunately there are probably a dozen possibilities. Two of the most common I encounter when visiting shops and usually after they have replaced every part under the sun twice or more are.
1. its actually a misfire
2. Mechanical issue in the cylinder ie. broken piston ring. Might be worth doing some compression test, cylinder leakage and looking into ignition.

I cant imagine not one shop in your area can figure this out. Look forward to hearing what other people think
BTW I am located in Arlington/Tx

« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2016 at 8:36pm by Wookie »  

IP Logged

JNelson
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Livermore, CA, California, USA
Livermore, CA
California
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2016 at 7:44pm

I can't be much help, I am in California.

But, the pico NVH software gets important information like engine speed and vehicle speed from the DLC, the obd2 port. Your vehicle is too old to be obd2 complain, that started in 1996. I am not sure if the NVH software is set up for alternate inputs...

IP Logged

autosparky
Super Nerd
Picogroup

blind worker

Porirua, New Zealand
Porirua
New Zealand

Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 12:35am

forgot to also mention cause I may not of read your thread correctly

so you cruise at 60-70mph, shift into neutral and it still shudders, so what  happens when you gently  press the brakes?? is the pedal ok or shudder? what happens when you pull the handbrake slightly?

can't see, can't hear, can't remember

IP Logged

Andrew Phoenix
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 12:40pm

JNelson wrote on Oct 5th, 2016 at 7:44pm:

But, the pico NVH software gets important information like engine speed and vehicle speed from the DLC, the obd2 port. Your vehicle is too old to be obd2 complain, that started in 1996. I am not sure if the NVH software is set up for alternate inputs...

There is an option in the NVH software to select a square wave or tach signal for engine speed.  If the transmission information is entered, vehicle speed will also be displayed.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

IP Logged

seanof30306
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Tulsa, OK, Oklahoma, USA
Tulsa, OK
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 3:46pm

autosparky wrote on Oct 5th, 2016 at 1:22am:
Maybe some Nerdz here has the Ford vibration test gear??

Or you could play with some wheel weights and clamp them with a hose clip on the drive shaft.

place some marks on the drive shaft and then keep moving the weight around to see if it gets better or worse

good luck

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.  Some good ideas to look into.

Autosparky, I actually changed driveshafts, and the vibration remained the same .... I had the new (used) aluminum LS1 Camaro driveshaft checked for true and balanced; the vibration was unchanged.

I had the balance and true checked by another shop.  They declared it dead-on, and the vibration remained the same.

I had the driveshaft re-balanced; this time up to 150 mph, and the vibration remained unchanged.

On the advice of an experienced mechanic, I unbolted the driveshaft from the pinion yoke, rotated it 180 degrees, and bolted it back up.  No change.

With six data points, and no change in the vibration, I honestly think the driveshaft is not the problem.

I hadn't considered that Ford dealerships had vibration analyzers!  That's an interesting thought.  Do you know what they're called? 

There are 4 Ford dealers here.  That opens up some new possibilities!

Thanks!

IP Logged

seanof30306
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Tulsa, OK, Oklahoma, USA
Tulsa, OK
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 3:53pm

Wookie wrote on Oct 5th, 2016 at 7:19pm:
You state the vibration also occurs in neutral while revving above 1800 RPM. Some things you can do is remove transmission and retest (depending on starter location). I cant confirm on your specific vehicle but on many of the older cars I could install long starter bolts in the transmission and simply slide it back (while supporting it of course) and remove clutch/torque converter. This way you would eliminate those components from equation. It's fairly easy to do in the driveway as well.

Unfortunately there are probably a dozen possibilities. Two of the most common I encounter when visiting shops and usually after they have replaced every part under the sun twice or more are.
1. its actually a misfire
2. Mechanical issue in the cylinder ie. broken piston ring. Might be worth doing some compression test, cylinder leakage and looking into ignition.

I cant imagine not one shop in your area can figure this out. Look forward to hearing what other people think
BTW I am located in Arlington/Tx

Thanks for the response, Wookie.

Yes, running the car when the transmission is out is one of the things I've been trying to accomplish. When the transmission comes back out, that is definitely going to happen.

I had never considered a misfire or an engine problem as a potential cause of the engine vibration.  That is absolutely going to be looked into!

Thanks for the idea!

IP Logged

seanof30306
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Tulsa, OK, Oklahoma, USA
Tulsa, OK
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 3:56pm

JNelson wrote on Oct 5th, 2016 at 7:44pm:

Andrew Phoenix wrote on Oct 6th, 2016 at 12:40pm:
There is an option in the NVH software to select a square wave or tach signal for engine speed.  If the transmission information is entered, vehicle speed will also be displayed.

Boy JNelson, I read that, and my heart sank.  Then my hope was renewed by Andrew Phoenix!

Thanks for the help, guys.

IP Logged

seanof30306
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Tulsa, OK, Oklahoma, USA
Tulsa, OK
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #12 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 3:58pm

autosparky wrote on Oct 6th, 2016 at 12:35am:
forgot to also mention cause I may not of read your thread correctly

so you cruise at 60-70mph, shift into neutral and it still shudders, so what  happens when you gently  press the brakes?? is the pedal ok or shudder? what happens when you pull the handbrake slightly?

Autosparky, I have not yet done either.  I will take the car out tonight and try both.

Thanks for the ideas.

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh, Victoria, Australia
Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 4:14pm

and if it is worse undef light braking stop on them harder at that speed and if it less let us know.

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh, Victoria, Australia
Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 3:49am

I have just looked at a series of videos you have posted with your list of complaints about your car.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCglJzIcP0WHjCngPa6WlueA

Sure is one sad dirty old neglected car.

Tell me, why would you come to this group of good people seeking to get vibration analysis when you have prepared a series of videos to assist your case on litigation and on that old thing.

I would suggest that you pay for your advice with someone who will go the mile with you....but that advise and the lawyers would cost you far more than the car is worth.

i think it is wrong for you to involve the good people who attend this group with the real agenda you have.

By the way I would not mount that rusty old clutch in any car, especially after you have dropped and damaged the disc

« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2016 at 9:08am by Logic »  
WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2