Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Buy a Picoscope? Advice please (Read 13,277 times)
ralstig
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Daytona Beach, FL, Florida, USA
Daytona Beach, FL
Florida
USA

Buy a Picoscope? Advice please
Mar 22nd, 2016 at 8:06am

Hello everyone!

I have always been a huge car enthusiast. I've always done my own work and even maintain my own Spec Miata.

I have decided to become a automotive technician and work towards ASE certifications. I'm currently 3 months into a 2 year program.

In class we are starting to get into scoping and it is fantastic! I've been really geeking out about it. It just seems like it is a must-have tool; there is so much you can do with them, especially one you start adding in accessories. (compression/vacuum/etc.)

The scopes in class leave much to be desired. I would love to get a Picoscope to use in class and for personal use. This way I can get as much hands-on experience as possible. But before I spend the money on one; I have some questions.

How often does it realistically get used in a real work environment?
I don't want to spend the money on something I won't use much once I get into a shop.

Should this be something I invest in so early into my schooling? This seems like a skill I should start developing as soon as I can.

I just want to make sure I'm not getting to overly excited about this.

I am thinking about getting getting the 4 channel starter kit. I figure I could use the school's until I acquire the accessories over time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Going through tech school to earn my ASEs and learn the basics; please excuse my noobish questions.

IP Logged

PRESTON
LSD Guide
Picogroup

"Fix like a champion today"

Jensen Beach, Florida, USA
Jensen Beach
Florida
USA

Re: Buy a Picoscope? Advice please
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 8:12am

Many factors are going to go into this decision.  If you wanted any hands on time let me know, also, if it's easier to have a conversation about it, gimme a call.  I'm not too far from you relatively, so I would be more than happy to do whatever I could to make your decision easier, or more informed I should say.
  If you have the financial means and it isn't going to stress your wallet, then I would go for it, this way you can have a ton of experience with it even before going to work full time. 
  If you are the new guy in the shop, it's doubtful you will be getting a majority of the diag. and drivability work out of the gate, so keep that in mind.  Not saying it's not possible, but it will depend on where you go to work. 
  The best thing I could tell someone that wonders how much it will be used, is to think about how much a DMM gets used.  Now, get your scope set up in such a way that it's ready to go and all you have to do is attach leads, and you can use the scope just as quickly as a meter, AND you will obtain much more information from it.

Rogue Nerd in South FL
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

busjockey
LSD Guide

The Diesel Nerd

Champaign, Illinois, USA
Champaign
Illinois
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 9:58am

Preston hit all the bases there.  The one thing I will say for myself is I wish I started using a scope sooner in diagnostics.  I have almost been in the Field now for 19 years and I have been using one solid now for almost 4 years.  I am playing catch up but the Nerdz crew has helped me get up to speed.  Plus all the other great Technicians on here.  If you decide to buy from Tom and the crew you are going to love all the training resources that are on here.  In my opinion this is the best place to learn how to use a scope and how to apply it use in diagnostics.  Give Preston a call, he won't steer you wrong and is one sharp technician I might add. Smiley  The other thing to think about is since you haven't started yet at a full time job this gives you time to look around at different shops and ask questions and tell them what your interested in doing.  Who knows if you keep your nose to the grindstone and show the shops what your capable of you might be able to start out doing diagnostics. Smiley
Just depends the type of shop you go to.  Or maybe you could find a good mentor to work with.  That's how I got into diagnostic work.  I had a few good mentors as I worked in the field over the years.  Good luck in your endeavors and if you any advice I will do my best to help as others will on here. Smiley  We are a tight knit group and we help each other out here. Smiley

Busjockey

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 10:56am

ralstig wrote on Mar 22nd, 2016 at 8:06am:
I am thinking about getting getting the 4 channel starter kit.

Just want to be sure you are looking at our custom kits and not the PP921 4 channel starter kit.

Our custom kits are here:

http://www.autonerdz.com/picoquad4425.htm

The PicoQuad Lite kit would be our custom kit based on the PP921 with the added essential hardware and Picogroup subscription included. 

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1336513824

The PP921 starter is just the basic kit as it comes from Pico with nothing added and no Picogroup subscription.

You can compare our custom kits here:

http://www.autonerdz.com/4425%20Comparison%20table.html

Keep in mind that the Lite kit has no current probes and you will be wanting those early on.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

ralstig
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Daytona Beach, FL
Florida
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 12:05pm

Thank you all for the advice. I went ahead and ordered it.

I really wanted one, so it was more of sell myself off of it. Between your advice and a conversation with my teachers; I was sold on it even more.

My wallet is not happy; but I am. I can't wait to start using it!

Tom, I ordered the PicoQuad 4425 Lite which includes your lessons and support; those were a HUGE selling point.
I am already learning quite a bit in class, I can only imagine what I will learn from your lessons!
I am aware that I don't have any current probes. I wouldn't be able to afford the scope and those; so I will end up getting them, along with other accessories, over time. For now, I will be able to borrow those from school as I need them.

Going through tech school to earn my ASEs and learn the basics; please excuse my noobish questions.

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 1:17pm

ralstig wrote on Mar 22nd, 2016 at 12:05pm:
I wouldn't be able to afford the scope and those

That's the way to go then.  Welcome to the global Picogroup.

The four channel Lite kit is less costly than the two channel Master kit with the current probes.  The advantage here is that you are starting out on the right foot with a four channel scope.  You can add to it later.  What you can't do is add two more channels to a two channel scope....    Wink

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

busjockey
LSD Guide

The Diesel Nerd

Champaign, Illinois, USA
Champaign
Illinois
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 1:35pm

When your ready to get your current probes buy the Pico ones from Tom.  They have excellent shielding in them and they hold on zero for a long time which means you won't have a lot of drift on these clamps.  Believe me I know.  For awhile I used a generic clamp and the generic clamp would not read the same as the Pico one because it didn't have shielding in it.  So save yourself the time and frustration and buy the Pico Amp clamps.  I dealt with the frustration for you. Smiley Cheesy  So I had one good Pico clamp and the crap generic clamp, I finally bought another good Pico Clamp so I don't have to deal with this anymore. Smiley

Busjockey

IP Logged

ralstig
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Daytona Beach, FL
Florida
USA

Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2016 at 11:05am

Tom Roberts wrote on Mar 22nd, 2016 at 1:17pm:
ralstig wrote on Mar 22nd, 2016 at 12:05pm:
I wouldn't be able to afford the scope and those

That's the way to go then.  Welcome to the global Picogroup.

The four channel Lite kit is less costly than the two channel Master kit with the current probes.  The advantage here is that you are starting out on the right foot with a four channel scope.  You can add to it later.  What you can't do is add two more channels to a two channel scope....    Wink

Thank you. Smiley
That's exactly what I was thinking. The price difference just is worth it especially once you take longevity of the scope into account.

Would there be a way to "upgrade" later on so I don't have to piecemeal it?

busjockey wrote on Mar 22nd, 2016 at 1:35pm:
When your ready to get your current probes buy the Pico ones from Tom.  They have excellent shielding in them and they hold on zero for a long time which means you won't have a lot of drift on these clamps.  Believe me I know.  For awhile I used a generic clamp and the generic clamp would not read the same as the Pico one because it didn't have shielding in it.  So save yourself the time and frustration and buy the Pico Amp clamps.  I dealt with the frustration for you. Smiley Cheesy  So I had one good Pico clamp and the crap generic clamp, I finally bought another good Pico Clamp so I don't have to deal with this anymore. Smiley

Thank you for the advice. That's what I was planning on doing. I had a feeling there was a reason his were more expensive than other's.

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2016 at 11:20am

ralstig wrote on Mar 23rd, 2016 at 11:05am:

I'm sure we could work something out if you wanted to upgrade to one of the larger kits later by removing the Lite kit components and leaving the rest.

Or, just purchase the other items you need bit by bit over time..

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Jamey
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Learning to Nerd

Ventura, California, USA
Ventura
California
USA

Reply #9 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 12:45pm

I am a little late to the conversation, but it sounds like you made an informed decision, and the right one in my opinion.
The only thing I will add is, I wish I had started out with the kind of support that is available here, back in the 1980's this type of stuff was not possible, us older guys had to evolve into the computer age.... Or at least I did! Starting out as an experienced Pico user will propel you past most of your peers, if you have the desire to learn!

And you are no longer geeking out! You are now a Kool-Aid drinking Autonerd  Wink

Welcome.

IP Logged

ralstig
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Daytona Beach, FL
Florida
USA

Reply #10 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 1:17pm

It came in today!!!!
I'm so excited!!!

I can't wait to play...err work with it this weekend.

The more I think about it, talk to my teachers, read this site, and play around with scopes; the happier and more sure I am with my decision.

My TA told me he wished he did what I did; got a good scope and worked on scoping as soon as he started.

Now to make sure I get a locking backpack. I do not want this "walking" away....

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #11 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 1:28pm

I just moved this thread over to the PicoScope board because it is a better fit here.

Thanks for suggesting this.  Great idea.   Smiley

We now have a new page in the site:

http://www.autonerdz.com/picoovertime.html

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

ralstig
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Daytona Beach, FL
Florida
USA

Reply #12 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 1:31pm

Jamey wrote on Mar 24th, 2016 at 12:45pm:
I am a little late to the conversation, but it sounds like you made an informed decision, and the right one in my opinion.
The only thing I will add is, I wish I had started out with the kind of support that is available here, back in the 1980's this type of stuff was not possible, us older guys had to evolve into the computer age.... Or at least I did! Starting out as an experienced Pico user will propel you past most of your peers, if you have the desire to learn!

And you are no longer geeking out! You are now a Kool-Aid drinking Autonerd  Wink

Welcome.

I am fortunate in that regard. From what little I've seen; I really enjoy the community here.

And I certainly have the desire to learn. I was playing around with the school's scope for a few hours today; scoping my cam/crank sensors, injectors, cops. My teacher was impressed with how quickly I learned how to use their different scopes.

I need to learn how to use the software, how does the Pico waveform library work? Can we upload our own waveforms?

Between myself and my family and friends; I have a bunch of different cars I can scope; Rx-8, Cx-5, Mazda2, 1.6 NA miata, CTS-V, Mazda 6, Ecoboost Mustang, Fusion.

I can't wait to start scoping other cars! I need to make a shirt; "Scope all the cars!"

I wish I bought my own amp clamp now. :/ At least i can play with voltage.

IP Logged

ralstig
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Daytona Beach, FL
Florida
USA

Reply #13 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 1:38pm

Tom Roberts wrote on Mar 24th, 2016 at 1:28pm:
I just moved this thread over to the PicoScope board because it is a better fit here.

Thanks for suggesting this.  Great idea.   Smiley

We now have a new page in the site:

http://www.autonerdz.com/picoovertime.html

Thank you for moving it, sorry I had it in the wrong place. I wasn't quite sure where it should go.

I'm glad I was able to help. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to afford the "upgrade" within the 90 day time frame. I am glad it's an option though.

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #14 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 1:47pm

ralstig wrote on Mar 24th, 2016 at 1:38pm:
I'm not going to be able to afford the "upgrade" within the 90 day time frame.

That won't apply to those that already have a kit.  This is for after the process is started.  For example, If the goal is a Magnum kit, then we would dip into one and start sending the components in stages.  The time limit seemed reasonable so we don't end up with too many partial kits around here too long....

We will see how it goes and tweak it as necessary.

Quote:
how does the Pico waveform library work?

You'll have to get registered on Pico's forums and have your scope plugged in to use this feature.

Details here:

https://www.picoauto.com/support/topic10063.html

As a Picogroup member you also have access to our reference waveform library which you download to your PC.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2