Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

PC screen size (Read 11,484 times)
kwrencher
Guru Member
Picogroup

I'm trying to be an Autonerd

Manitoba, Manitoba, Canada
Manitoba
Manitoba
Canada

PC screen size
Nov 7th, 2015 at 2:18pm

As I'm waiting for my scope to arrive, I'm wondering about my laptop and thinking I should probably have a dedicated one split between the scope and flash reprogramming (which I hopefully will get into in the next year or so). Anyways, my personal laptop which is less than a year old is only a 13.3" screen size. Everything else is up to snuff, but anybody see any downsides to having a screen on the somewhat smaller end of the spectrum?

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft, Ontario, Canada
Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Re: PC screen size
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2015 at 3:58pm

kwrencher wrote on Nov 7th, 2015 at 2:18pm:
but anybody see any downsides to having a screen on the somewhat smaller end of the spectrum?

Smaller screen means more portable laptop which has its advantages when it comes to road testing for a fault.
Disadvantages would be only in the age of the users eyes Wink

I personally would not get into a 17" screen as its too wide for everything!
I prefer a 15" these days.

Tuesday is going to be a great day Cheesy

Mick
mick_3342 mikejonesautoengineering  
IP Logged

jarvissamuel
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Denver Colorado, Colorado, USA
Denver Colorado
Colorado
USA

Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2015 at 6:06pm

Currently I use a 10" tablet style Asus. It works but in the past I used a14" notebook. My opinion is 12-14 or abouts is ideal for portability. However, keep in mind Pico is very versatile with scaling, pan zooming and vertical zooming. So screen size is not a huge issue.

Sam

IP Logged

Ward Zintel
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
Canada

Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2015 at 6:07pm

Hello kwwrencher!
What Mick says! I bought two 17" touch screens - A Toshiba at home and an HP for work. I like the bigger screen, and a side advantage is the 17" laptops are wide enough that you actually get a numeric key pad next to the key board. If I had to do it again though I would stick to a smaller screen for the laptop at work.
I have Auto Enginuity on it, and the extra width of the  bigger laptop just makes every thing more awkward beyond the bigger screens advantage. Keep in mind that with the PICO you can zoom in close enough to see a zit on a flea's arse at a 1/4 mile any way, so it's not that you won't be able to see detail, just not as much of the signal at the same amount of zoom on the slightly smaller screen.
-Ward-

Wayne's Driveline
Saskatoon, Sk.

IP Logged

kwrencher
Guru Member
Picogroup

Manitoba
Manitoba
Canada

Reply #4 - Nov 7th, 2015 at 7:53pm

Mick wrote on Nov 7th, 2015 at 3:58pm:

Affirmative!

I agree that under 15" is ideal for portability. But it's true Ward that a numeric keypad is nice.

Mick, I got the welcome email from Autonerdz support and it mentioned "Each PC will require a different key". Is it tough to go back and forth between different pc's, like should I plan to only use the scope on one pc?

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #5 - Nov 7th, 2015 at 8:06pm

kwrencher wrote on Nov 7th, 2015 at 7:53pm:
Mick wrote on Nov 7th, 2015 at 3:58pm:

Affirmative!

I agree that under 15" is ideal for portability. But it's true Ward that a numeric keypad is nice.

Mick, I got the welcome email from Autonerdz support and it mentioned "Each PC will require a different key". Is it tough to go back and forth between different pc's, like should I plan to only use the scope on one pc?

The USB stick has a key pass so pick the most popular PC for this.

The Pico Scope will play a every PC you have.

All your saved psdata files will open in demo mode or any PC you have with or without the Pico Scope hooked up Wink 

Mick
IP Logged

richmunch
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Stony Brook, New York, USA
Stony Brook
New York
USA

Reply #6 - Nov 7th, 2015 at 8:10pm

I use a 15 inch at work, while at home I have a 17. I like the smaller size at work for its portability. I have a few other things on the work one, including cardaq and drb3 emulator. I would like to get the ford ids next. But will probably just get another laptop for it. I will also load the pico software on that and wouldn't expect an issue. Smiley

I think the 13.3 is a good size. One of the things I like best about the pico is you can put a bunch of time on the screen and then zoom in on any area of interest. I think you are going to like it. It is like going from throwing a bullet to shooting one in the scope world. In my opinion.  Cheesy

What happens Tuesday? Hockey season or something?

IP Logged

kwrencher
Guru Member
Picogroup

Manitoba
Manitoba
Canada

Reply #7 - Nov 7th, 2015 at 8:18pm

richmunch wrote on Nov 7th, 2015 at 8:10pm:

Good one, but hopefully my 4425 standard kit will arrive that I ordered from Mick this past week Cheesy

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #8 - Nov 7th, 2015 at 8:44pm

kwrencher wrote on Nov 7th, 2015 at 8:18pm:
richmunch wrote on Nov 7th, 2015 at 8:10pm:

Good one, but hopefully my 4425 standard kit will arrive that I ordered from Mick this past week Cheesy

Did you find your way to the drop site yet to get the Autonerdz installer version ready for your 4425?

Mick
IP Logged

richmunch
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Stony Brook, New York, USA
Stony Brook
New York
USA

Reply #9 - Nov 7th, 2015 at 9:07pm

Great news on the scope purchase. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Its a great tool and the knowledge gained using it is very important.  Smiley

I learned and am still learning what the signals are and what they mean. Plus you will find a better all around understanding of how things work. I also find the forums here get me used to looking at the signals, so when presented with a vehicle you can determine the problem quicker and more accurately.

IP Logged

kwrencher
Guru Member
Picogroup

Manitoba
Manitoba
Canada

Reply #10 - Nov 7th, 2015 at 9:47pm

Mick wrote on Nov 7th, 2015 at 8:44pm:
Did you find your way to the drop site yet to get the Autonerdz installer version ready for your 4425?

Headed there now

IP Logged

AhtiH
Picogroup

Volvo tech

Tallinn, Estonia
Tallinn
Estonia

Reply #11 - Nov 8th, 2015 at 12:03am

I use 12.5" screen and don't imagine using bigger one. And have never felt that it's too small.

IP Logged

PicoFin
Guru Member

Parainen, Finland
Parainen
Finland

Reply #12 - Jan 26th, 2016 at 12:24pm

I have a Lenovo with a 15" screen, but the cool thing is I have it in a docking station at the shop, so I have a 27" widescreen when in stationary use. Really love it when you can observe things from the driver seat.

IP Logged

bigKinSD
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

SD, California, USA
SD
California
USA

Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2016 at 9:38pm

I am doing the same thing as PicoFin I believe, I've finally decided  on a cart, and I will install a larger monitor there for docking a monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse.

I still haven't even installed pico yet, I am deciding on which computer to use. Since my cart wasn't ready I didn't want to take out the package and potentially lose parts.

Lastly, I haven't picked a computer to install on. I was considering a surface pro 3 or perhaps a lenovo touch screen.

IP Logged

E
Picogroup

Chapel Hill, NC, North Carolina, USA
Chapel Hill, NC
North Carolina
USA

Reply #14 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 9:38am

If you're going to be programming with the laptop you may want to look into the requirements of the makes you intend to work on.

IP Logged