Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Next Generation of Pico Automotive Scopes (Read 46,294 times)
Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: Next Generation of Pico Automotive Scopes
Reply #45 - Oct 22nd, 2014 at 11:18am

aautomaan,

Not sure I understand the question but let me try to explain...

For the most part, the difference in hookup logistics will be simply stacking all channels together and clip them to battery negative as opposed to only needing to ground one channel.  Hooked up this way, the 4425 can be used just as you would a 4423.

However, it does open up some options we didn't have before.  You can have your channel grounds at different locations without crossing things up.  The limitation here is that you would not want more than a 30v difference between these channel grounds.  So, for example, it would not be advisable to place a channel across an ignition coil with the channel ground on the negative side as that is going to kick 400v.  We have done this though and the scope survived but we were trying to find out if we could destroy it by doing that.

I would reserve placing a channel ground on anything but bat neg unless you understand the circuit and what you are trying to accomplish.  The example of a throttle body motor above is a good use for this technique as the channel ground voltage differential does not exceed 30v and it allows us to see the throttle body motor switching polarity in a way we have not been able to with previous models.

Hope that answers your question.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Ford racer
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

constableville, ny 13325, New York, USA
constableville, ny 13325
New York
USA

Reply #46 - Oct 22nd, 2014 at 6:22pm

Hey tom, sorry to bug you, but I was just wondering if I were to buy just the 4425 scope by itself would that get me into the pico group?  Or do you have to buy a complete kit?  I just figure that I plan on making this a lifelong learning curve and rather than paying the $ annually I might as well have another tool.  I really wish I would have researched more to begin with, I feel like such a dummy.

IP Logged

busjockey
LSD Guide

The Diesel Nerd

Champaign, Illinois, USA
Champaign
Illinois
USA

Reply #47 - Oct 22nd, 2014 at 7:19pm

You could try to sell what you have on ebay or iatn, unfortunately if you want to move it you will probably have to take a little bit of a loss. Cry

Busjockey

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #48 - Oct 23rd, 2014 at 11:19am

Ford racer wrote on Oct 22nd, 2014 at 6:22pm:
I was just wondering if I were to buy just the 4425 scope by itself would that get me into the pico group?

Sorry, no.  Only the kits come with a Picogroup subscription.

However, the 4425 Lite kit is a better choice than the scope only and does come with the Picogroup subscription.  That way you get a better bang for your buck.  This comes with four of the new 8MOhm 10:1 attenuators and also a test lead set and a few other things.

http://www.autonerdz.com/picoquad4425lite.htm

This kit is currently on backorder though.  The other kits we have in stock.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4