Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Master Certified Tech? How to find out? (Read 100,196 times)
Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh, Victoria, Australia
Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Re: Master Certified Tech? How to find out?
Reply #45 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 10:58am

If I purchase a new battery from BMW for my 1986 car, and the battery fails, and I want to claim warranty on the battery....then it must go on the BMW diagnostic machine at the dealer.

The diagnostic machine at the dealer has a OBDII plug and also you can adapt a 20 pin round plug to the OBDII so that you can interface with some earlier cars.

But if your car is prior to the 20 pin plug you can no longer connect to the BME ISIS diagnostic.

Whish means to cannot claim the warranty unless you make a hell of a noise.

This has occurred as a procedure because of dealer mis-diagnosis and fraud.
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2014 at 11:53am by Logic »  
WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Gail Taylor

I'm an Autonerd

Wendell North Carolina, North Carolina, USA
Wendell North Carolina
North Carolina
USA

Reply #46 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 11:58am

OK...any good reason to pay 4 times as much for a BMW battery? I'm just assuming they are expensive. Cheesy Wink

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #47 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 3:29pm

To be frank Gail, no there is no reason,

I do find the quality of BMW batteries to be good, but also there are alternatives of equal quality.

Not worth it though when you do have the occasional issue and warranty is impossible.

I can get warranty anywhere else on my word and my word alone.

Unlike a dealer when I call for warranty there is actually an issue with the part and ccoorect diagnosis is performed to prove it!

It is not worth my while to collect warranty even when the battery costs in excess of $400.

BMW think they are smart cutting me out of warranty like that, but fact is I bypass them more and more as they are just making life difficult.

Thus they mis out altogether.

There are other ways in which they are bring pressure to bear, but I will have none of that either.

BMW also fail to see the tiered structure of BMW ownership....do not understand the real market at all.

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Gail Taylor

I'm an Autonerd

Wendell North Carolina, North Carolina, USA
Wendell North Carolina
North Carolina
USA

Reply #48 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 4:05pm

Logic wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 3:29pm:
To be frank Gail, no there is no reason,

I do find the quality of BMW batteries to be good, but also there are alternatives of equal quality.

Not worth it though when you do have the occasional issue and warranty is impossible.

I can get warranty anywhere else on my word and my word alone.

Unlike a dealer when I call for warranty there is actually an issue with the part and ccoorect diagnosis is performed to prove it!

It is not worth my while to collect warranty even when the battery costs in excess of $400.

BMW think they are smart cutting me out of warranty like that, but fact is I bypass them more and more as they are just making life difficult.

Thus they mis out altogether.

There are other ways in which they are bring pressure to bear, but I will have none of that either.

BMW also fail to see the tiered structure of BMW ownership....do not understand the real market at all.

Man you seem to be really pissed with BMW. Did one of the mangers nail your mom or what? Shocked Cheesy

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #49 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 5:31pm

No Gail,
I'm not "really pissed", it is just that four to five times a day I have people coming to me with issues about the behaviour of a dealer, of the money spent and the ignorance and miss diagnosis of the dealer network.

I think that if a person has demonstrated their commitment to excellence and to resolving the issues that BMW owners have then that person should be encouraged and that the customer should NOT be bent over and reamed hard.

There have been many times where I have had to step in to resolve an issue between a customer and a dealer and BMW themselves.

One court case has already been avoided this year as a result of my intervention on behalf of the owner.

When I do this I do it in support of the BMW brand and the good name of BMW Australia, so there is a flip side to my attitudes, it is a grey area.

I have no tolerance however for  a number at a dealership telling me how to suck eggs.

They ought to do some of the hard yards.

There are many nights where I will still stay up all night nutting the real diagnostic process out, if you were privy to the members area of the Autonerdz site you would see the tip of the iceberg of the work that I do.

This is not arrogance on my part it is simply a matter that I have put in all the hard yards into my craft, both at university and from within the industry, the only trade skill that I have not mastered is motor trimming and even there I have re manufactured door and interior trims for one particular early model BMW.

I might add that when I intended to purchase an oscilloscope I researched that very thoroughly, and I quickly came to the conclusion that Autonerdz was the only place to buy a Picoscope, Tom says it and he is right.

The benefits are way beyond anything else out there due to Toms efforts and the people that he has attracted to the Picogroup.

BMW could well learn a lesson from Tom!

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Anthony Lamb
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

Reply #50 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 7:13pm

Logic wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 7:52am:
Then there is the spike in issues that dealers find at 100,000km where the customer is charged a big wad of money, when the customer protests 7k into it he is taken to the new car showroom…..I see it over and over and over…

Surely the customer could take the dealer to the office of fair trading due to being ripped off by the dealer.

What is interesting is that my warranty claims on parts is virtually zero, far less than the dealers warranty claims as a percentage of parts used….and you know why that is don’t you?

Certainly do, makes sense why you go to the extra length for the customer.

you should see the workbooks that these techs do at training where they fill in the answers by hand in the workbooks, not only do they not know what is going on but they very frequently have literacy problems as well

I have seen some of the crap people fill out when I have attended dealer training for Toyota.
Me personally I'm not the worlds greatest speller but if I can't spell I look it up first, I sometimes road test other mechanics work prior to being handed over to the service advisor and some of the spelling and stories are pretty shocking to say the least.

Even working for a different car make it is frustrating that you can get thrown a repair order to replace X part with no other reason then have to come up with some fairy tale of why the part failed. 9 times out 10 it is the wrong part for the issue.

IP Logged

crackerclicker
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Elevation 834 ft

Watertown, Wisconsin, USA
Watertown
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #51 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 10:49pm

you should see the workbooks that these techs do at training where they fill in the answers by hand in the workbooks,

I have, and most Picogroup members can too.   Wink

https://autonerdz.egnyte.com/

crackerclicker  
IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #52 - Feb 2nd, 2014 at 11:04pm

Where?

I would love to compare!

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4