Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Master Certified Tech? How to find out? (Read 100,191 times)
Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh, Victoria, Australia
Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Re: Master Certified Tech? How to find out?
Reply #15 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 1:01am

Jose aka superskyliner wrote on Jan 29th, 2014 at 12:15am:
Logic wrote on Jan 28th, 2014 at 5:45am:

Whilst we are on the subject BMW does not provide their techs with adequate training and their documentation is poor.

Are you aware of the OSCILLOSCOPE capacity a BMW dealer workshop has?

BMW has actually had oscilloscopes built into every one of their diagnostic platforms as far as I can remember ( DisPlus, GT1/IMIB, and ISTA/D IMIB

Would you like to expand upon that and the specifications of the BMW DIS Plus Scope.

Guess you would then refer to the BMW published scope patterns.

Then you might want to refer to the BMW google translated technical document, naturally written on the fly by any one of 100 technical writers with scant regard to content or consistent nomenclature.

For instance E39 three piece folding roof dependant on which document you refer to there are a possible four different naming terms for each of the fifteen switches in the roof.

Word of warning, do not use the BMW switch status verses service position tables in analysis......as they are wrong !

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #16 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 1:02am

Sorry E93 not E39

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

BMW Dave
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Winston Salem
North Carolina
USA

Reply #17 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 6:19am

Aaaarggghhh.  I give up ...I never said he pretended to be a master tech here????  My post stated
I saw recently one of the posters on this forum had little
formal training back in May and now is a Master Certified Technician and Cerified Mercedes Technican according to their website? Sounds pretty fishy to me.. Is their a way verify this. Thanks in advance. 
anyhow my question was answered.  He's a fraud.
To simplify ... On autonerdz he's a beginner and on the website he works at he's a BMW Master Certified Technician..  I'm not a technician that's why I posted in this forum.  Anyhow have a good day...

IP Logged

andyz
Freshman Member

Perth Australia, Western Australia, Australia
Perth Australia
Western Australia
Australia

Reply #18 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 3:54pm

Hi Dave,
Just so there is no confusion, can I just confirm you are not referring to me?

Apologies if I contributed to derailing your thread on the forum. This was not my intention.

Thanks

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #19 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 10:43pm

Logic wrote on Jan 29th, 2014 at 12:31am:
DAVE,

I do not know where  you are working, but if you are working at a BMW dealer which narrows it down to one,(FATOOYWBFIBN) then you are violating the BMW Australia dictates by using superior self funded equipment.

And while talking about an 1986 6 series verses a 2013 M6 , if I try and make a warranty claim on a battery that I purchased from a dealer for the 86 635 E24 then in order to get that warranty I must get a ISTA report at a dealer in order to get warranty....say no more.

While on the subject want the phone number of a fellow with a 800km old Active Hybrid 5 series where BMW Australia roadside assist could not get the car going and I did it via SMS to the owner whilst attending a wedding?

Ask and I will give you his phone number!

As far as Master Tech certification is concerned, still do not get what you are talking about, but do you think for one moment that all the web sites that you see claiming "BMW Factory Trained Techs" are all BMW trained?
They are mostly people now wanting to work on BMWs who once worked in a factory....could have been the baked bean canning line at Heinz .

I can buy a degree over the net, why should I not be able to make claims about my qualifications to work on BMW cars which are total fiction?

It makes me sick to the gut.

If you have evidence that a person posting here is being fraudulent with respect to their credentials, then I suggest that you run it past Tom and on the basis of his sanction reveal who it is.

If you are a true Autonerdz member then in future post in the members section and be part of the information that is available there.

Apologies Gentlemen, the post above is for Andyz not Dave.

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #20 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 10:45pm

Tom,
Just so that you know what I'm getting at in Australia a BMW technician must use BMW test plans and BMW certified and supplied equipment.

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

andyz
Freshman Member

Perth Australia, Western Australia, Australia
Perth Australia
Western Australia
Australia

Reply #21 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 4:55am

BMW Dave.
Apologies if i derailed your thread.
This will also be my last post on the subject too.
I am totally bewildered at where this thread has gone.
I feel i am personally having to defend myself for no reason whatsoever.
Logic, if you read back this entire thread you will see you have incorrectly quoted me or completely misunderstand me on several occasions. It was BMW Dave that was questioning the credentials of another member not me - and i see nothing wrong with him doing that.
You go on to suggest I am working outside BMW protocols by using my own equipment. At no time did i say i didn't use BMW equipment. I simply said I also have all my own diagnostic tools - and these I often use to confirm a diagnosis or to get a higher level of understanding of sensor signals etc.
I also have not said the workshop i work in does not have its own scope. I just find it is not user friendly and does not offer the same resolution etc. If i use it i usually go back with the picoscope to save my own captures - time permitting.
I will finish by saying again what i said in my original posts - and hopefully this time I won't get dragged across the coals for making a couple of observations.

1.There are generally good and bad technicians in all workshops. It is not correct to suggest that if a technician is working at a dealership he is ignorant.

2.BMW equipment is generally not user friendly and technical information is often not accurate - making the job of even good technicians difficult.

Good day to you.

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #22 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 8:58am

andyz wrote on Jan 30th, 2014 at 4:55am:
BMW Dave.
Apologies if i derailed your thread.
This will also be my last post on the subject too.
I am totally bewildered at where this thread has gone.
I feel i am personally having to defend myself for no reason whatsoever.
Logic, if you read back this entire thread you will see you have incorrectly quoted me or completely misunderstand me on several occasions. It was BMW Dave that was questioning the credentials of another member not me - and i see nothing wrong with him doing that.
You go on to suggest I am working outside BMW protocols by using my own equipment. At no time did i say i didn't use BMW equipment. I simply said I also have all my own diagnostic tools - and these I often use to confirm a diagnosis or to get a higher level of understanding of sensor signals etc.
I also have not said the workshop i work in does not have its own scope. I just find it is not user friendly and does not offer the same resolution etc. If i use it i usually go back with the picoscope to save my own captures - time permitting.
I will finish by saying again what i said in my original posts - and hopefully this time I won't get dragged across the coals for making a couple of observations.

1.There are generally good and bad technicians in all workshops. It is not correct to suggest that if a technician is working at a dealership he is ignorant.

2.BMW equipment is generally not user friendly and technical information is often not accurate - making the job of even good technicians difficult.

Good day to you.

Andyz,

I have not mis quoted you nor mis understood you, I have certainly not indicated that you work outside BMW guidelines...for I do not even know if you work for a dealer, I suspect you do but do not know it.

I don’t know who you are and have no reason to make accusations, attack you or single you out…you are doing that yourself, I would suggest that you rethink your reaction.

My experience is that this is a open and good forum where people are willing to help each other and I certainly adhere to that custom here.

You state “ and these I often use to confirm a diagnosis or to get a higher level of understanding of sensor signals etc”, I note from your profile that all of your posts that are currently visible from your profile, all 25 of them are made in the public section, do you not have access to the members area?

Assuming that you do not have this access, then you have missed out on quite a lot of specific BMW information, I have posted a raft of BMW sensor custom probes, as I delight in reverse engineering the simple sensors and creating custom probes from them, which I will readily and freely share exclusively with any Autonerdz Picogroup Area member, I note I do not publish these probes in the General Public area.

If in fact you have subscribed to the Picogroup area you are welcome to down load my probes and use them for your personal use.

What I stated about BMW guidelines is true across the board........a technician at a dealer is not permitted to use tools outside the BMW recommended tool set. You know that so please do not get offended at the truth!

Also a BMW dealer is discouraged from charging significant time for diagnosis..

There is a simple reason for this, BMW claim to customers that the dealer network is superior in every way and that only a BMW dealer has the tools and equipment to work on a BMW car. They further claim to the public in support of their claim that the BMW testing system makes diagnosis unnecessary outside of the diagnostic machine “AS THE BMW TESTER TELLS YOU EVERYTHING”, NATURALLY IF A DEALER TECH CANNOT DIAGNOSE THE VEHICLE WITHIN A SHORT SPACE OF TIME USING THE bmw TESTER AND TEST PLANS, THEN WE TURN IT INTO A puma CASE AND THE ISSUE IS DEALT WITH BY A German engineer, who instructs the dealer what to replace, taking away any further diagnostic opportunity from the dealer technician. Now that is a great way to hone one’s skill is it not?

Perhaps this is the reason why BMW dealer technicians are greatly ignorant.

Further BMW could have access to the best oscilloscope in the world…and I will admit that BMW Australia do have a Picoscope…ONE, and it is an old outdated 2 channel model.

In terms of you claiming that you are having to defend yourself...I fail to see that anybody has accused you of any thing...for it was you who chimed in saying "Hi Dave,
Just so there is no confusion, can I just confirm you are not referring to me?"

I fail to see how you could become offended...please explain?

Further you state that "From what i have seen, the roles of a technician at a dealer and at an 'after market' workshop are completely different and you definitely get good and bad technicians in either.
"
As far as I can see it the roles ought to be the same, we should be there to fix customers cars and in the case of a BMW dealer perform warranty work as well. (I might add the common practice of making false claims on warranty with BMW is also fraudulent and any person who works at a dealer who engages with others at that dealership to defraud BMW with false warranty claims could be criminally charged and found guilty of conspiracy)

Of course and independent can analyse a bad battery in an old E24 without a ISTA report !

For all other readers of this post an old 1986 BMW E24 635 predates modern BMW diagnostics, you cannot even plug a BMW Group tester, ISIS, ISTA,GT1 or any other BMW approved tester into these cars, yet if you purchase a battery from BMW and it fails in you E24 then BMW WILL NOT GIVE YOU WARRANTY UNLESS IT HAS A ISTA REPORT PERFORMED ON THE CAR....WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE AS YOU CANNOT CONNECT TO IT!!!!

The reason that BMW will not give warranty without a diagnostic report on their machines is due to the high frequency of both mis diagnosis and fraudulent claims for warranty by BMWs own dealers.

I fail to see how you describe independent workshops as being and specifically highlighted as "aftermarket", would you please explain why you use that term and why the emphasis upon it.?

The thread was not started by me and I did not seek to single you out at all, you have volunteered yourself for all the offence to you, at your own hand that you, for no reason apparently feel.

I asked Dave to qualify what he was posting about, I was not the only one, I fail to see why you would want to make out that this is an attack upon you?

I certainly pointed out that many people make claims about being tertiary graduates when they are not and also independent workshops making false claims that they have BMW Factory trained technicians when they do not..surely your experiences would also support my statement there?

Dave has still not adequately explained his original post, however that is a matter for him to correct.

Take a chill pill mate!

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #23 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 9:00am

Ahh also Andyz, If you want a job where you can freely use your Picoscope, or even have a new one purchased for you from Autonerdz with a Picogroup area subscription, I can arrange an interview for you in Perth Wink

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Gail Taylor

I'm an Autonerd

Wendell North Carolina, North Carolina, USA
Wendell North Carolina
North Carolina
USA

Reply #24 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 10:33am

You come across, from my perspective, as being REALLY PISSED-OFF! Not sure why?

Aftermarket is a term used to describe a non-OEM built part or a shop w/o factory support.

Surprised that was so hard for you to follow? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #25 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 12:07pm

Gail Taylor wrote on Jan 30th, 2014 at 10:33am:

Aftermarket is a term used to describe a non-OEM built part or a shop w/o factory support.

Not at all,

Aftermarket is a term used to describe non genunine parts, not independent workshops.

My post was to point out to a fellow that he was painting himself into a corner, nobody was having a shot at him.

Why would you chime in on that?

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Gail Taylor

I'm an Autonerd

Wendell North Carolina, North Carolina, USA
Wendell North Carolina
North Carolina
USA

Reply #26 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 12:24pm

Logic wrote on Jan 30th, 2014 at 12:07pm:
Gail Taylor wrote on Jan 30th, 2014 at 10:33am:

Not at all,

Aftermarket is a term used to describe non genunine parts, not independent workshops.

My post was to point out to a fellow that he was painting himself into a corner, nobody was having a shot at him.

Why would you chime in on that?

I'm done. Good luck, "mate"... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Matt H
Guru Member
Picogroup

Japan, Japan
Japan
Japan

Reply #27 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 7:45pm

Logic wrote on Jan 30th, 2014 at 8:58am:
They further claim to the public in support of their claim that the BMW testing system makes diagnosis unnecessary outside of the diagnostic machine “AS THE BMW TESTER TELLS YOU EVERYTHING”,

$25,000 plus subs, and it damn-well better to be able to tell you everything!  Smiley

Interesting to learn that BMW, as complicated as they can be electronically, don't use a scope. The factory tool for Toyota here has a two channel scope, and the SI has published waveforms...even for knock sensors. I guess they want you to verify the part is defective before just replacing it (like a good tech should).

IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #28 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 10:17pm

MJR ,
It is shocking..the support is very poor.

Also if you are not good on the floor of the workshop they promote you to service advisor..

Unbelievable

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #29 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 10:19pm

Then on top of it despite all the hype, dishonest charging, miss diagnosis and over the top hourly rate...they still lose a million dollars a year!

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4