Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

trouble shooting magneto on chain saw (Read 14,218 times)
tommy
Freshman Member
Picogroup

SF Bay Area, California, USA
SF Bay Area
California
USA

trouble shooting magneto on chain saw
Sep 3rd, 2013 at 10:14pm

Looking for tips on troubleshooting a magneto with a no spark condition, tried replacing the ignition coil and still no spark, so I would like to verify if the induction coil is at fault. I think the output is AC but not sure what is the  correct magnitude for this output

IP Logged

busjockey
LSD Guide

The Diesel Nerd

Champaign, Illinois, USA
Champaign
Illinois
USA

Re: trouble shooting magneto on chain saw
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 4:57am

Got a schematic?  Could you take some pictures and show me how the coil is wire up on the primary side?  Give me some info and I might be able to help.

Busjockey

IP Logged

tommy
Freshman Member
Picogroup

SF Bay Area, California, USA
SF Bay Area
California
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 11:01pm

I don't have a schematic, I'm helping a friend with his Husqvana chain saw so I don't have access to the chain saw to take pictures but there are parts diagram on the web and it appears the ignition system consist of an ignition coil, ignition module and a "generator" a toroidal shape coil of wire located coaxially -inside the "flywheel". I'll have an opportunity to take this chain saw apart next week. I'm not sure how these three components work together to produce a spark-couldn't find any specs on the web.
Thanks for offering to help

IP Logged

busjockey
LSD Guide

The Diesel Nerd

Champaign, Illinois, USA
Champaign
Illinois
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 6:46am

Sounds like to me the coil around the flywheel is a ac voltage output to the ignition module.  Try hooking up a voltmeter on ac volts across the coil and pull on the rope and see if you have. any output.  No output you have a bad magnet/coil generator. To verify you have spark without the use of the pull rope, try taking a test light with it hooked up to battery positive and touch the two coil wires back and forth to create an ac output, if you then have spark, this confirms the coil is bad.  Try that and let me know what happens.

Busjockey

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky, Kentucky, USA
Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 10:01pm

magneto = magnets spinning on flywheel, induces spark into coil. magnets are placed on the flywheel according to timing of the engine. gap between flywheel and pickup or 'magneto' should be about the thickness of a credit card. also, the magneto usually has a black wire that will ground the ignition (shut it off) in case of safety or user selected shutdown. check this wire first and the switches that go to it, magneto failure is rare on any small engine. common failure is switches on the shutdown circuit, wrong gap, or rusty magnets..... Wink

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician
Elevation: AVG 648 ft.

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky, Kentucky, USA
Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 10:12pm

busjockey wrote on Sep 7th, 2013 at 6:46am:
try taking a test light with it hooked up to battery positive

there is no battery positive that ive ever seen on a chainsaw
the only ground is relative to the spark plug

I dont understand why a magneto based ignition even needs a module though, thats interesting. A magneto system has fixed timing so I dont understand the need for a module Huh

The only thing i can think of is the generator is a low tension magneto (high amps, low volts), which then sends the low tension out through the module to the secondary transformer (high tension, low amps high volts). the 'module' may just ground the circuit and shut it down. check that black wire and switches!!!!!

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician
Elevation: AVG 648 ft.

IP Logged

Kevin M

I'm an Autonerd

Yucca valley, California, USA
Yucca valley
California
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 2:16pm

The CDI maybe at fault, the operate differently then Intuction Igntions (auto ignitions) do.

CDI has a capacitor that is charged by the magneto charging coil (one of  the 6 or more coils on the magneto) and the capacitor, once charge is released by a SCR switch inside the CDI Module thats triggered of the fly wheel.

Which is why no battery is required.

If Voltage is coming into the CDI Module (via the charging coil) but not coming out of the CDI, check the the triggering device signal at the CDI, (low voltage a/c signal sent to CDI) if thats present, and still no output to the coil (coil steps up the Voltage to an even higher voltage) then the CDI Module is at fault.

IP Logged