Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Testing injector waveforms,with a labscope (Read 15,397 times)
bangshout
Freshman Member

south yorkshire, United Kingdom
south yorkshire
United Kingdom

Testing injector waveforms,with a labscope
Nov 18th, 2012 at 5:18pm

Well Ive just received my 20:1 attenuator to use for analyzing the injector waveforms on my 1994 volvo  850.
Looking for advice on oscilloscope connection to avoid damaging the unit,any recommendations.
I'm not using a pico scope just a standard labscope.

cheers Ian

IP Logged

RtOne
Super Nerd
Picogroup

"If We Can't Fix It" -
"It Ain't Broke"

Westville, Illinois, Illinois, USA
Westville, Illinois
Illinois
USA

Re: Testing injector waveforms,with a labscope
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2012 at 5:40pm

What amount of voltage will your Lab Scope handle un-attenuated?  I back-probe the control side of the connector, either at the Injector or the ECM, whichever is most accessible with access to a solid Ground (Earth), and start her up. If none of the smoke escapes my scope it's a brighter looking day. Cheesy  Is yours PC Based, so captures can be saved and compared later? I'm sure we all would like to see what you have accomplished.  Or do you have to rely on memory for the comparison? I'd be lost on that one, I have to check the phonebook to be sure I spelled my name right. Cry  Good Luck.

Adult Day Care By Lew Winegardner
WWW WWW roar1@sbcglobal.net  
IP Logged

PRESTON
LSD Guide
Picogroup

"Fix like a champion today"

Jensen Beach, Florida, USA
Jensen Beach
Florida
USA

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2012 at 9:30pm

If I chose the correct vehicle, it looks like they are all fired at the same time.  Makes it easy to pick which wire, the grey one.  This may be a good one to also practice using your current probe ( if you have one ).  Make sure you have your scope grounded, install your new shiny attenuator ( I would also double check to see if you need it like RT mentioned, but when in doubt use it anyway first and go from there ), and backprobe any of the injectors on the gray wire.  If you have an amp probe you can check the injector amps too, but this image may change depending on where you have it placed and the condition of the injectors and their circuits.  Try the voltage trace first and try to post up the image of what you got and we'll go from there.

Rogue Nerd in South FL
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

bangshout
Freshman Member

south yorkshire
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 5:41am

Thanks for the help.
The scope can accept 400vs and is a semi digital  unit that can be linked to a laptop for capturing  waveforms,so ill post some of the results
cheers

Ian

IP Logged

bangshout
Freshman Member

south yorkshire
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 8:03am

My first go at grabbing  injector waveforms on my 1994 volvo,didnt have time to hook to a computer so i took a screen shot.
All 5 injectors have the same waveform

IP Logged

RtOne
Super Nerd
Picogroup

"If We Can't Fix It" -
"It Ain't Broke"

Westville, Illinois, Illinois, USA
Westville, Illinois
Illinois
USA

Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2012 at 9:45am

bangshout , was this a cold engine?  I really don't see anything wrong (If I'm reading the scale for timebase correctly) 9.2 ms on time cold isn't unbelieveable.  What are the Divisions for voltage?  Other than your Lab Scope having a higher sample rate than our PC based Automotive Units the inductive kick on ours generally appear pretty much vertical until we Zoom way in. To this Neophyte it looks like good injectors cold, we scope on a really long timebase to see if there is a problem that develops as the temperature rises, and zoom in on the anomalies that appear. I can't locate one of my files just now, to show what ours look like before and after zoom.

Adult Day Care By Lew Winegardner
WWW WWW roar1@sbcglobal.net  
IP Logged