Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

scanner (Read 24,851 times)
Erik_1940
Guru Member
Picogroup

Elevation 25 ft

California, California, USA
California
California
USA

scanner
Sep 3rd, 2012 at 10:41pm

On the market for a scanner
I was looking at the Ease and the AE computer based but since I also need OBDI domestic and Asian I think I'm gonna have to go with snappy solus Pro would be the choice if anyone is thinking about getting rid of yours let me know

Perhaps you getting  the new solus ultra. looks sweet but pricey  Smiley

IP Logged

Mike Curtis
Picogroup

Toledo, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Toledo, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: scanner
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 4:11am

I have the Solus Ultra... It is a lot faster than the Solus Pro plus being touch screen... I had it since it came out 2 updates so far about to do the 3rd, and I will say that it isnt buggy at all... Plus with the ease of taking screen captures and uploading them to the PC is a nice feature... And another feature I like is I have had it for about a year and a half and only charged the battery 2 times....  Reason, everytime you plug it into a vehicle the battery gets charged through the DLC... Only down fall I have seen so far is it seems I still have to double check the Codes on GM OBDI cars by jumping the ALDL..  Believing what the scanner was telling me burnt me once... But as far as I know that was always a problem with snap on OBDI GM Diag... But again besides this, it is  a top notch scanner....

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Anthony Lamb
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 4:45am

Dunno if this helps but I've only just ordered a maxidas ds708 with ford and holden Australia. Dunno how good they are but it does come with some ob1 adapters. cost me close to $1400USD from china with delivery, Bursons here wanted about $2900 for the same thing.
This one is less than what mine was.
http://www.obdresource.com/other-diagsnotci-tools/143-autel-maxidas-ds708-D708.h...

Mike Curtis wrote on Sep 4th, 2012 at 4:11am:
I have the Solus Ultra... It is a lot faster than the Solus Pro plus being touch screen...

I've been looking at one of those since they came out here in oz a few months back, but tossing up between this or a g-scan.

IP Logged

joe nand
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Brisbane, Australia, Queensland, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Queensland
Australia

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 4:34pm

Hi Anthony, I was told by a local dealer that if you buy the maxidas from anywhere else other than OZ, you wont have access to domestic updates. Not sure if this is true. I do have a gscan, it has a lot of programming features and bi-directional controls. It does not have a decoded mode 6, I use a genisys evo for OBD 2 stuff.

Joseph Nand
joseph.abhay.nand joseph nand  
IP Logged

crackerclicker
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Elevation 834 ft

Watertown, Wisconsin, USA
Watertown
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 5:50pm

Erik_1940 wrote on Sep 3rd, 2012 at 10:41pm:
since I also need OBDI domestic and Asian

most scanners that have obd 1 capability in the first place will do it well enough.  i wouldn't base a scantool purchase on it's obd1 prowess unless that was all that i worked on.  and if that was the case, i'd probably purchase the factory obd1 tools since many of them are outdated and could potentially be had for cheap.

figure out what is most important to you, and then, if you discover it doesn't have the obd1 capabilities you want, just grab an old snap on mt2500 for the old stuff  Smiley.

crackerclicker  
IP Logged

rod_au
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Elevation: 19 feet

Grafton, NSW, Australia, New South Wales, Australia
Grafton, NSW, Australia
New South Wales
Australia

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 6:17pm

joe nand wrote on Sep 4th, 2012 at 4:34pm:
It does not have a decoded mode 6, I use a genisys evo for OBD 2 stuff

Yes, this is my biggest disappointment with the G-Scan. It is a great tool in many ways. Very fast to navigate, power up and operate. It has good coverage on local and Asian (not much chop on Euro though) and reasonable bidirectional. But it falls down big time with modes 1-9. I barely use the OBDII section as most of the time it says 'Not Supported'. Huh

(¯`·._.·[ 010100100110111101100100 ]·._.·´¯)
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Anthony Lamb
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 1:26am

joe nand wrote on Sep 4th, 2012 at 4:34pm:
I was told by a local dealer that if you buy the maxidas from anywhere else other than OZ, you wont have access to domestic updates.

Na the place the one I did order had the Australian Ford and Holden software available.
rod_au wrote on Sep 4th, 2012 at 6:17pm:
I barely use the OBDII section as most of the time it says 'Not Supported'.  Huh

Don't worry my work's Toyota GTS scanner is the same on all the new stuff in ob2 as well.

IP Logged

Brad H
Super Nerd

Elevation 367 metres

Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, Australia
Kalgoorlie
Western Australia
Australia

Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 6:56am

Anthony Lamb wrote on Sep 5th, 2012 at 1:26am:
Na the place the one I did order had the Australian Ford and Holden software available.

Hope ya right mate, often the software sold with these tools is "cracked" and isn't update-able.
Some tools are not recognized outside of the region they were sold in, they still work, just cannot be updated.

90% of a ( good ) tool's cost is the SW writing.

DILLIGAF
blmechanical  
IP Logged

jarvissamuel
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Denver Colorado, Colorado, USA
Denver Colorado
Colorado
USA

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 12:31pm

I am late chiming in on this but keep in mind on the OBD1 stuff almost all of it had flash codes available requiring no scan tool for retrieving codes. 

On top of that the newer Snap on stuff including the Solus Pro does not have the legacy mode.  The legacy mode works better on most of the OBD 1 stuff.  A brick or even an original Solus might be a better choice for dedicated OBD 1.

If I recall correctly only GM and Chrysler were really good about having data available through a scan tool.  Ford did not have scan data till about 1992.

Sam

IP Logged

Erik_1940
Guru Member
Picogroup

Elevation 25 ft

California
California
USA

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 2:09pm

jarvissamuel wrote on Sep 5th, 2012 at 12:31pm:
On top of that the newer Snap on stuff including the Solus Pro does not have the legacy mode

I didnt know that thanks for the heads up!

jarvissamuel wrote on Sep 5th, 2012 at 12:31pm:
A brick or even an original Solus might be a better choice for dedicated OBD 1.

Now you got me thinking maybe a brick and AE scanner.
Or maybe ease with their OBDI
  Smiley

IP Logged

jarvissamuel
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Denver Colorado, Colorado, USA
Denver Colorado
Colorado
USA

Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 7:15am

[/quote]Now you got me thinking maybe a brick and AE scanner.Or maybe ease with their OBDI[smiley=scratch-head02.gif] [/quote]

I had a brick for some time while it does work well and can be had for cheap now, there are disadvantages to it.  It does not remember previous vehicles so every vehicle has to entered again.  The biggest draw back is it does not graph.  For the vehicles having data being able to record and graph it is a huge plus.

It might be out of your budget but have you also considered a Modis?  It is not made anymore but is currently still supported.  It also has legacy mode it is overkill for just a scanner having the scope / data base but with all the new stuff out the price of used ones have came down a lot.

Sam

IP Logged

Erik_1940
Guru Member
Picogroup

Elevation 25 ft

California
California
USA

Reply #11 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 8:06pm

jarvissamuel wrote on Sep 6th, 2012 at 7:15am:
It might be out of your budget but have you also considered a Modis?  It is not made anymore but is currently still supported.  It also has legacy mode it is overkill for just a scanner having the scope / data base but with all the new stuff out the price of used ones have came down a lot.

Hmm we have that one at the shop and I just keep thinking at some point either the scope or the scanner is gonna stop working I don't know, I don't like the idea of having both in one specially now that I have my PICO  Cheesy I really one to try those computer based like EASE or AE or like you said maybe the original solus because of the graphing.
Thank you for your input I really appreciate it

IP Logged

Charlie.S.
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Maple Valley, WA, Washington, USA
Maple Valley, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 3:26pm

Just for info the couple times I have tried to use mt Maxidas in a OBD1 vehicle it did not work. It's still a good tool covers a lot of make but would not expect it to do much out of the OBD2 area.

IP Logged