Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

The use of anti-seize on spark plug threads (Read 23,270 times)
Retired

The use of anti-seize on spark plug threads
Feb 6th, 2012 at 7:38am

What are your thoughts on this from NGK?  http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/tb-0630111antisieze.pdf

Bill

IP Logged

Manic Mechanic
Picogroup

Test don’t guess

Clovis California, California, USA
Clovis California
California
USA

Re: The use of anti-seize on spark plug threads
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 8:12am

Retired wrote on Feb 6th, 2012 at 7:38am:
What are your thoughts on this from NGK?  http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/tb-0630111antisieze.pdf

That's what the manufacture has been telling the dealer techs for some time now , With the extended tip Ford plugs you only apply anti-seize on the metal housing for the extended tip and not the threads ......I've also been told it messes with the higher voltage plugs acting like and insulator .. Smiley

WWW WWW http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=60071465  
IP Logged

drdiesel1
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Nevada USA, Nevada, USA
Nevada USA
Nevada
USA

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 8:55am

Common knowledge for a long time. NGK plugs have been plated for a long time.
I still use anti-seize. I have for the last 20 years and have never had a problem  Smiley

It's only a problem when someone that's clueless starts cranking on a plug like it was a grade 8 bolt on an endloader frame mount.

Most plugs have a torque value around 10 to 30 ft lbs., depending on application.
After 35 years of installing plugs, you get a feel for it  Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RywJJUY3TKY

Here's a quick guide chart.

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 11:18am

Manic Mechanic wrote on Feb 6th, 2012 at 8:12am:

That's what the manufacture has been telling the dealer techs for some time now , With the extended tip Ford plugs you only apply anti-seize on the metal housing for the extended tip and not the threads ......I've also been told it messes with the higher voltage plugs acting like and insulator .. Smiley

I should have been more detailed.  They are blaming the use of anti-seize for plug breakage.  I'd blame the monkey turning the wrench and if that's not the case, I'd be looking at a possible defect in the plugs themselves.

Bill

IP Logged

drdiesel1
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Nevada USA, Nevada, USA
Nevada USA
Nevada
USA

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 4:02pm

Retired wrote on Feb 6th, 2012 at 11:18am:
Manic Mechanic wrote on Feb 6th, 2012 at 8:12am:

I should have been more detailed.  They are blaming the use of anti-seize for plug breakage.  I'd blame the monkey turning the wrench and if that's not the case, I'd be looking at a possible defect in the plugs themselves.

Sounds like they're blaming anti-seize as a catalyst, for monkey goober boy to break plugs as he goes about his daily cobble shop routine  Smiley

IP Logged

Charlie.S.
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Maple Valley, WA, Washington, USA
Maple Valley, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 6:14pm

We still use it never had any problems. We don't let monkeys touch the cars

IP Logged

Derreck
LSD Guide
Picogroup

It's getting better all
the time...

Murray               535 ft, Kentucky, USA
Murray 535 ft
Kentucky
USA

Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 9:17am

Been using it for years never broke any plugs.  Don't glob it on like syrup on your pancakes, just a thin layer.  And then just snug it 15-20 lbs or so, don't put a cheater bar on it and throw your whole body into it.  Seems like anti-sieze or not, overtightening is the real problem here.

IP Logged

RtOne
Super Nerd
Picogroup

"If We Can't Fix It" -
"It Ain't Broke"

Westville, Illinois, Illinois, USA
Westville, Illinois
Illinois
USA

Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 9:59am

This subject pops up all the time. "We" all know that the Sparking Plugs are better built and use superior metalurgy (Except for the Ford 3 Valve) but in the 70's the Navy was using pretty good stuff in our S-2G engines. It was a Court Martial Offense to not use Anti-Seize on the Plugs. As far as an insulating issue? I haven't put an Ohm Meter to a Dolope of the Paste yet, but isn't most of it impregnated with Copper or Aluminum? I have read where guys using it on the Boots had major misfire issues, so to me that lets the air out of that issue.  Some Guys Glue an Engine together, I assume I may have to work on it again someday, and would prefer not having to destroy it to take a part off.  I do however use a light oil to thin mine out, WD-40 type of stuff PB Blaster works, but evaporates quicker so your doing it more often.

Adult Day Care By Lew Winegardner
WWW WWW roar1@sbcglobal.net  
IP Logged

ceehoppy
Freshman Member

Just a nerd

Metuchen NJ, New Jersey, USA
Metuchen NJ
New Jersey
USA

Reply #8 - Nov 29th, 2013 at 4:21pm

The only "mistake" that would lead to a broken plug like the NGK article would be allowing Mongo to use his 1/2" breaker bar to ever work on a car.

Antiseize has been blamed for everything from baldness to misfires & global warming. Cheesy

IP Logged