Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Secondary ignition waveform diagnosis (Read 52,174 times)
fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Re: Secondary ignition waveform diagnosis
Reply #15 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 2:02pm

You get what I am asking? We have been saying that there is a voltage increase at primary shut-off. The scope pattern has been inverted  though. In actuality there is no such spike.
    When you open the primary circuit, you witness that drop in voltage if you have left the pattern alone to display as it shows uninverted. The scope is not lying.
Someone had a problem equating the voltage drop of coil turn off with the existence of the flame in the spark...their question was, "How can a lack of voltage create a spark?"
So the pattern gets turned over to make it look like there is a voltage increase -there is a spark , so, there must be power to create that spark; an increase in voltage...

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Mr. Bill
Guru Member
Picogroup

Spokane, Washington, Washington, USA
Spokane, Washington
Washington
USA

Reply #16 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 4:06pm

fisher wrote on Jun 3rd, 2011 at 2:02pm:
So the pattern gets turned over to make it look like there is a voltage increase

Whether there is an increase or decrease doesn't matter. The scope clearly shows a potential difference, in other words voltage! A 20kv spike is a 20kv potential difference, the starting point doesn't matter but the difference from the starting point does.

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky, Kentucky, USA
Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #17 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 2:58pm

fisher wrote on Jun 3rd, 2011 at 2:02pm:
So the pattern gets turned over to make it look like there is a voltage increase

A voltage potential is a voltage potential, whether positive or negative polarity. Whether or not it is inverted is of no consequence.
There is no lack of voltage - there is a resistance across the spark gap which the energy(electrical charge) of the coil secondary wants to return to where it was created. To do this it must flow across the spark gap. So it creates a corona, ionizes(kv voltage), then turns to plasma, which lowers effective resistance across the gap. (this is the burn line)
Its just that simple.
Mr bill is saying exactly the same thing as I am. Wink

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician
Elevation: AVG 648 ft.

IP Logged

benmixmaster
Freshman Member

Reply #18 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 12:49pm

Secondary osciloscope patterns can show the firing voltage needed to start and finish the current flow across the spark plug electrodes, which can be anylized to tell you much about what is happening inside the combustion chamber (like open plug wires, large plug gaps,high or low compression etc.). And this is the most important area of an internal combustion engine, the whole purpose of the engine is to produce power to push the vehicle and this is where that happens.
Primary scope patterns do not show the firing voltage level but do show burn time as the secondary does as well and this usualy is in proportion to firing voltage, the exceptions to this would be a fouled plug-wet or carboned up.
Sometimes it's easier to get at one or the other (primary or secondary) so having both capabilities is nice, also secondary can be deadly to your scope or computer, make shure you ground any leads used for secondary and dont hook directly to primary without an attenuator.

I would highly recomend the autonerdz training material, Mac vandenbrink www.datec.us he has some free downloads, as well as full powerpoint training you can purchase or bill fulton www.ohioautotech.com enhanced ignition system testing this is also available at auto-video. also great training at   www.auto-video.com they also have on demand online videos to purchase.

It's an awsome area of interest, pico/autonerdz has a secondary tool called mixmaster shows all cylinders and parades EI/DIS as well. I would buy it direct from them if I had it to do over again and get the support package, which is included in there scope packages last I knew. I also recomend at least 4 trace scope.

I have studied scoping ignitions for some time and your equipment will play a big role in this, definitely a book/video & hands on thing to learn! Each vehicle layout, Like fuel rail shape clogging injector inlets at ends or rail can showup in scope pattern as lean injector. get a propane tank enrichening tool so you can experiment richening and pull vacuum hose to lean it.

I should stop here, please excuse my grammar? If you want to know more ask on but too fully learn ignition anylization get training videos/books etc. 
Hope this was usefull, have fun!
Wow i just noticed how old this post was Oh well. mayby your still looking for replies.

ben.bigelow1  
IP Logged

PRESTON
LSD Guide
Picogroup

"Fix like a champion today"

Jensen Beach, Florida, USA
Jensen Beach
Florida
USA

Reply #19 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 9:39pm

Never hurts to add some information Ben.

Rogue Nerd in South FL
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh, Victoria, Australia
Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #20 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 7:03am

Some more information

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #21 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 7:04am

Further evaluation

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Logic
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Bentleigh
Victoria
Australia

Reply #22 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 8:44pm

Please find attached a file of a capture of a BMW E46 with a M43 engine.

It has a coil pack mounted on the skirt with ignition leads to the spark plugs.

The car had a mis fire on acceleration that was infact a loos lead onto #4 spark plug, but there are clearly other issues.

We are yet to complete our diagnosis but I would welcome comment on the secondary capture.

WWW WWW iancrane01  
IP Logged

Neil

I'm a wannabe Autonerd

Roma, Queensland, Australia
Roma
Queensland
Australia

Reply #23 - Jun 19th, 2014 at 4:04am

Logic thanks for the info!

neildavy14  
IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #24 - Jun 19th, 2014 at 8:04am

Logic, is that a Beta version of PICO?

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Neil

I'm a wannabe Autonerd

Roma, Queensland, Australia
Roma
Queensland
Australia

Reply #25 - Jun 20th, 2014 at 1:24pm

I think so, I opened it with the latest beta.

neildavy14  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2