Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

version 6.3.4 (Read 6,212 times)
daveyK
Super Nerd
Picogroup

(Retired) - Elevation:
525 feet

Hellertown, PA, USA, Pennsylvania, USA
Hellertown, PA, USA
Pennsylvania
USA

version 6.3.4
Sep 11th, 2009 at 1:23pm

Hi all,

Has anybody used the new software version on a CAN bus system?

What kinds of results have you had?

Thanks,

dave

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: version 6.3.4
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 12:27pm

Hi Dave,

6.3.4.0 has a serial decoding feature.  In order to utilize this feature, you have to have one of the more powerful scopes to be able to capture enough higher speed CAN messages reliably.  Preferably a 4000 series, although a 3000 series can also do it.

Once you have captured CAN, then you apply the serial decoding feature to render the hexadecimal notation from messages the waveform.

I am not too familiar with all this yet.  Initially, I thought this would be mainly for the engineering level.  However, we have had several techs with access to dealer level information who have expressed quite an interest in this new feature.  They would have access to the proprietary message translations and be able to make use of this to see what the CAN messages were actually saying.

You can try this using some of the CAN examples in the automotive library to see how it works.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

daveyK
Super Nerd
Picogroup

(Retired) - Elevation:
525 feet

Hellertown, PA, USA
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 1:14pm

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the explaination. I figured some of the super nerdz would be playing with it Cheesy

I was thinking the CAN codings might be generic like the OBD II codings.

Guess we will need to wait to see the manufacturers release the CAN info and how soon we will be able to use it. Kinda like the mode$6 info.

Thanks,

dave

IP Logged

Jim_Wilson
Super Nerd
Picogroup

nothing to say

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 7:05pm

Dave,

Quote:
Guess we will need to wait to see the manufacturers release the CAN info and how soon we will be able to use it.

You can already use it. Just connect your OE scan tool  Smiley

In one of my classes years ago, we dissected network data and decoded it.  That was the best you could do back then. Network snoopers only let you access the serial data and you had to decode it by hand.  There are/were various network wrappers to work through.  

CAN is like other protocols and will have 'layers' to work through. Here is a link to a Wiki article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controller%E2%80%93area_network

To be of any value, anyone trying to decrypt it will have to understand the protocol and differentiate between the various types of information. Only part of the serial data is actual 'data'.

The manufacturers are not going to give away anything that isn't mandated by law. That probably leaves out a great deal. What they do release will be fairly raw information and will require some expertise to do anything with it.

I don't see any value at the technician level for this information. However, if someone wants to play with it, more power to them  Wink

I am not marketing any service or product.
Everyone happy now?

IP Logged

daveyK
Super Nerd
Picogroup

(Retired) - Elevation:
525 feet

Hellertown, PA, USA
Pennsylvania
USA