Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
electraspec/electrajet vs. Pico (Read 41,747 times)
Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: electraspec/electrajet vs. Pico
Reply #30 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 4:48pm

Richard Boyd (Kennedy),

Thank you for your contribution.   Wink  Feel free to visit again.

Just so there is no confusion among our visitors....

Quote:
Matt Fanslow of Pico Technology

Correction:

"Matt Fanslow of Crag Technologies" (just another Pico distributor), not Pico Technology.  As you are of Crag Technologies and also as the link to Wavehook that you posted is.

Some of us remember Matt as one of our Autonerdz Picogroup members:

http://www.autonerdz.com/picousers.htm

Matt is a great guy.  A man of integrity and I have a lot of respect for him.  I wish him the best.  

Also, Autonerdz is not Pico Technology.  We would be misrepresenting ourselves to claim that we were.  We are a Pico distributor specializing in automotive.  We just offer a unique package that no one else can match for those that want the complete PicoScope LSD 'Experience'  Shocked

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Sam1
Super Nerd

Reply #31 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 5:58pm

Tom Roberts wrote on Jan 24th, 2009 at 2:51pm:
Sam,

Not sure what you mean. ...

post 166, middle of the third line [...trigger lead on cylinder #1 ...]
http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1229231191/1

Sam1  
IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #32 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 6:33pm

I think the term is being misused. TRCO  would be referring to a 'synch' lead- a synchronizer- not a trigger. 
  It captures say, cylinder #1 on one trace, and the time per division gets set so that we just see or slightly better; two firing events of number one cylinder. All the events in between are those of the other cylinders. This is done for many sorts of captures and the cyl synch is used solely as a reference.
You want to end up with the time across the screen equal to 9 firing events (if you are working with an 8 cylinder motor. The cylinder you synch from will be at the beginning and end of the whole capture...
and cylinder firing events for all the others once each in between.
     When capturing ignition secondary events for instance, typically #1 cyl is used for a synch. This is not done because you cant get a capture of a secondary ignition event without a synch; just that if you dont have SOMETHING synched with them on the screen you wont know which spark plug firing  is which - like which is #2 cyl, which is 8, etc.
   You sound fairly new to scope use. On the PICO home site -Autonerdz is a business that sells the scope, PICO is the manufacturer- is a library of waveforms. You can find examples there as well as here.
  The synch lead seems to be no different than an inductive probe for a Digital Voltmeter such as is used for RPM measurement ( the one that clamps over the spark plug), in fact any inductive probe will work.
   I invite the others here to correct me if I am wrong.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #33 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 7:02pm

Sam,

Fisher is correct.  The example you posted is one where an inductive sync probe was used other than the TA032.  The TA032 is constructed better then most, but the output is similar to others.

Of course, you can also use one of the included Pico capacitive secondary probes for sync as well.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Sam1
Super Nerd

Reply #34 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 7:31pm

fisher wrote on Jan 24th, 2009 at 6:33pm:
    I think the term is being misused. TRCO  would be referring to a 'synch' lead- a s...

You sound fairly new to scope use. ...

Thanks for explaining that.

Is there a synch lead in the QuadKit? (would the 60A or 600A clamp work?).
what would be a good place to start learning about scope use?

Sam1

Sam1  
IP Logged

Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #35 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 8:08pm

Sam,

I think you are getting the different leads or probes confused with one another.

Allow me to put this into perspective:

For secondary ignition, you can use either a capacitive or inductive probe/lead for synchronization purposes. It doesn't matter which one you use. You are only using one or the other to know which cylinder is firing. If you didn't have a sync probe hooked up, you wouldn't know. Now, there are other ways to achieve the same thing, but let's avoid that right now to keep it simple.

Quote:
Is there a synch lead in the QuadKit?

Yes. This would be one of the four capacitive probes supplied in the kit. It is your option to purchase an inductive probe, but it really isn't necessary to parade a secondary ignition pattern without it. You can use the capacitive probe for that.

Quote:
(would the 60A or 600A clamp work?).

Not for secondary, but yes for current readings you might want to use for sync such as injection. I prefer to go the standard voltage test lead for that, still though, you could use it for sync in certain situations.

Quote:
what would be a good place to start learning about scope use?

You already found it. Ask lots of questions. We will help you out. That is what we do.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2009 at 8:27pm by Carl Grotti »  

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

Sam1
Super Nerd

Reply #36 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 8:38pm

thanks Carl.
now allow me to ask more questions (till I get my set of The Nerds CDs).

what is the different between capacitive or inductive probes? expand if you like to Smiley I am all ears.

The other way to know would be through the firing order, I remember when I used to use the old scope (Sun, Bear, Allen...). but then they used plug 1 "synch" lead, not sure how the "new tech" Picoscope hook up archives that.

Sam1  
IP Logged

Sam1
Super Nerd

Reply #37 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 9:10pm

I received the following from ElectraSpec/Jet:

Are you aware that the Parallel interface can transfer data faster than the USB1 interface!  The parallel interface has served us well and is now getting out of date due to the demand of play station type computers and the advent of USB2 interfaces which work properly with a smaller cross section of plug.

The time base dictates the sample rate as if you sampled at the max on that time base you would just see a block or waveform.  If you selected 500us time scale the scope would show a lot more detail with very little time between samples.

A screen capture with 500 ms as a time base records over 20 seconds of data and is only used for trend purposes.  When you want to see detail in waveforms we never go above 50 ms and if greater detail is required a lower time base is required.  Remember the screen of a PC is broken down into dots and the capture can only be displayed with dots on the screen.  In a resolution of 1024 X 768 which is the average resolution now, you only have 1,024 dots from side to side of the screen, take out the borders and you have less dots.  You are not able to put anymore dots in than what the screen dictates and that is one of the disadvantages of a digital scope.  If you require more, than you should be using a analogue scope and our product would not suit your needs.

Ultimately it comes down to what signal you want to read, when and what do you want to see.  Our scope is designed for Automotive use, with the technician which is using it has the captures setup with the right time/voltage scales as reference waveforms.

For Automotive work we have never had the need to unpack our CRO for use on cars, all the faults have been able to be detected within the scope of the Electrajet Equipment.

open for your comments.

Sam1  
IP Logged

Sam1
Super Nerd

Reply #38 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 9:13pm

Bryan-WI wrote on Jan 24th, 2009 at 9:08pm:
On a vehicle with a distributor and seperate ignition coil  I hook up one capacitive lead to the coil wire then the other capacitive lead to the #1 spark plug wire. I trigger off the channel on cyl #1 and then I can look at the patterns in detail on the coil wire. You could look at secondary just using a capacitive lead on the coil wire but then you would have no way of knowing which cylinder is which.
  I could do this with an inductive lead or "synch" lead, but that would have to go on cyl#1 for triggering purposes. I would have to have a capacitive lead on the coil wire to look at the secondary patterns in detail.
  The inductive lead or "synch" lead will respond to the voltage in the spark plug wire and give you a signal to trigger off of but you will need a capacitive lead on the coil wire to look at the secondary signals in detail.

Some of my comments may be redundant, stupid, or self explanatory. Please humor me, I am trying to shed some light on the different leads to someone that hasn't used them before.

Bryan.

Why do we call one Inductive and the other capacitive? variation of shape? operation? ...?

Sam1  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #39 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 10:16pm

Sam,

Quote:
When you want to see detail in waveforms we never go above 50 ms and if greater detail is required a lower time base is required.

With that scope and most others, that would be true because it isn't capable of maintaining enough sample rate to render detail at longer time bases.

Quote:
In a resolution of 1024 X 768 which is the average resolution now, you only have 1,024 dots from side to side of the screen

True but irrelevant.  When you are collecting over 2 million samples per channel per screen, of course you will not be able to see all that detail on a PC screen.... until you zoom in.  Then you will.   Wink

USB is much faster than Parallel but if you don't have much data to transfer Parallel can handle it.   Google it yourself.

BTW, USB 1.1 is not fast enough for PicoScope. 

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Bryan-WI

Reply #40 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 10:56pm

inductive will only give you  a signal to trigger off of

capacitive will give you a signal with detail

capacitive.jpg (2 KB | )
capacitive.jpg
inductive.gif (5 KB | )
inductive.gif

IP Logged

Sam1
Super Nerd

Reply #41 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 3:28am

Bryan-WI wrote on Jan 24th, 2009 at 10:56pm:
inductive will only give you  a signal to trigger off of

capacitive will give you a signal with detail

and can I add?
Capacitive tip has a cylinder like top to "hug" the wire where as inductive tip has a coil on its clamping tip.

Sam1  
IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California, California, USA
Southern California
California
USA

Reply #42 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 1:29pm

The inductive probe contains a coil/inductor and works by coupling to the rate of change in magnetic field (you see only a spike corresponding to secondary firing event when rate of change of magnetic field peaks).

The capacitive probe contains one "plate" of a capacitor (the other "plate" being the ignition secondary wire) and works by capacitively coupling to the signal in the secondary wire (you see the AC part of the whole secondary signal, from dwell->arc-fire->settle).

IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California, California, USA
Southern California
California
USA

Reply #43 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 1:48pm

With the PicoScope, you can set the time base to a large value and capture "many" events like fisher said above (in regards to 8 cylinder ignition)... see the first attachment (1976 Datsun 4 cylinder ignition)...

red
=capacative probe on coil.
blue
=inductive probe on #1
(I could have used a capacitive probe on #1)

Then once you have captured a large trace, you can zoom in on places of interest... see the second attachment.

You get the big and small picture all in one go!

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #44 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 2:15pm

So Sam, my Quickscope actually will do down to 200 nanoseconds per division (still only 256 samples on the screen).  One great place for literature is AESWave.com. They are here on the West Coast of the USA. They have two very good books for learning to use a scope. They have a LOT of accessories and they even sell PICO too but no forum there either.
  The two books are short and quite teach the basics... it is relavent to learn about thing like OHM's law, inductance, capacitance, floating grounds, electromagnetism... these things are gleaned from books about electricity... I have a couple good ones, one from the AESWave site as well as the two scope books from AESWave; and one Marine/ Industrial Engineer's manual for maintenance and repair of AC equipment.
  Education outside of scope use regarding electricity and electronics is an obvious necessity.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4