Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Newbie nerd (Read 5,323 times)
Prudencio Chavez
Freshman Member
Picogroup

HESPERIA, CA, California, USA
HESPERIA, CA
California
USA

Newbie nerd
Jul 3rd, 2008 at 3:25pm

Hello, My name is Prudencio Chavez. I am 24 years old and have been a GM technician on my own for about 2 years now. I have worked here at the Greiner Pontiac Buick GMC for a total of 6 1/2 years. I graduated From GM ASEP at Cerritos college. I have completed all of GM's assesments and am now a world class tech, If that means anything.  I just bought my first Scope, a pico 3423 from autonerdz, So i probably wont be much help on analyzing waveforms. Well, thats pretty much it about me. I Forgot to mention that I work next to a genius, Jim Wilson.

batmangfx  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: Newbie nerd
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 3:40pm

Prudencio,

Welcome to the zoo   Wink  Glad to have you. 

You are already aware of the opportunity you have there working with Jim.  I know you will take advantage of it.  I look forward to your contributions here.

Have a great 4th.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Smitty
Picogroup

Are we having fun yet?

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 3:45pm

Hi Prudencio,
I personally need all the help I can get!
Enjoy
Smitty Smiley

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft, Ontario, Canada
Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 6:59pm

Prudencio Chavez wrote on Jul 3rd, 2008 at 3:25pm:
Hello, My name is Prudencio Chavez. I am 24 years old and have been a GM technician on my own for about 2 years now. I have worked here at the Greiner Pontiac Buick GMC for a total of 6 1/2 years. I graduated From GM ASEP at Cerritos college. I have completed all of GM's assesments and am now a world class tech, If that means anything.  I just bought my first Scope, a pico 3423 from autonerdz, So i probably wont be much help on analyzing waveforms. Well, thats pretty much it about me. I Forgot to mention that I work next to a genius, Jim Wilson.

Welcome Prudencio

I have a question. How do you get any work done?

If I worked next to Jim Wilson I would be picking my Smiley of the floor all day long.  

Has he taught you all you know? Smiley

Mick

Mick
mick_3342 mikejonesautoengineering  
IP Logged

Jim_Wilson
Super Nerd
Picogroup

nothing to say

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 8:54pm

Mick,

Given what I've been through personally and how management has acted towards me even during this time, I have not been that great of a help. Many days I've not said a word to anyone all day. Many days, I could care less if it were my last.

They no longer have anything over me, I can leave if I want now with no notice and be just fine. Funny, things are now changing... imagine that.

Just once I'd like to work for grownups. They put me, Prudencio, and another tech in a very awkward position. My reward for helping to train two asep students was to have each of them get a free (shop paid) helper and to be not just competition, but for some time (now past) get work while I sat. Sat and knew the additional pain brought to my wife when I had a meagerly pay check as a reward for my efforts. At times, paying for the medicine my wife needs was difficult. I did not appreciate that after all I've done to make the SM look good.

All I had to sell was knowledge that they didn't have, so many times I said nothing to nobody.

My suggestion to Prudencio which I hope he takes is this. Get all the credentials you can and then bail out and work as a teacher at the local Jr College. Someday taking the department chair position.

Get out of this business, too many idiots in places of power who have absolutely no respect for what it takes to do this job.

The most celebrated tech at the shop (in managments view) is a thief and a hack. One of the worst and most shameless I've seen and in 30 years, I've seen a lot of them. 

There is no way that management cannot know what is going on with this guy, they just don't care. It used to be that the SM would talk about what a great crew he had and how they made him look good. Now? Its how lucky we are to work for him... Unbelieveable...

Anyway, I love to discuss and train. I hate passionately the environment I find myself in that has forced me to make the choice between a paycheck I can live on and doing what I love.

I am quite proud of the fact that niether of my boys (now adults with families) know nothing about cars. They have a much brighter future.

Smiley Hows that for my first post in the "introductions" section...  Smiley

I am not marketing any service or product.
Everyone happy now?

IP Logged

Jim_Wilson
Super Nerd
Picogroup

nothing to say

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 9:27pm

Quote:
Has he taught you all you know?

As one of the best of the ASEP program, he has learned from different people different things. Trans work, front end work, etc...

By the time he came to the driveability department, he was quite talented.

I am not marketing any service or product.
Everyone happy now?

IP Logged

Prudencio Chavez
Freshman Member
Picogroup

HESPERIA, CA, California, USA
HESPERIA, CA
California
USA

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 5:20pm

Mick wrote on Jul 3rd, 2008 at 6:59pm:
[quote author=Batmanz28 link=1215123930/0#0 date=1215123930]

Welcome Prudencio

I have a question. How do you get any work done?

If I worked next to Jim Wilson I would be picking my Smiley of the floor all day long.  

Has he taught you all you know? Smiley

Mick

I get to see him in action once in a while and try to pay attention to what he is doing. I try to ask as many questions as I can when he is in a good mood, haha. But I think it is a great advantage for me to work next to someone with his knowledge. For example, Waveform Analysis was not an area I was familiar with until I met Jim. Also, I have learned valuable methods of approaching a concern to find a problem from him.

batmangfx  
IP Logged