Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Next Generation PicoScope Software (Read 7,175 times)
Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Next Generation PicoScope Software
Aug 23rd, 2006 at 2:18pm

Pico Technology took the automotive scope world to a new level when they first introduced their ADC 212/3 unit in an automotive kit.  This unit was adapted to automotive use and proved itself worthy, outperforming most automotive scopes on the market with PC based flexibility and power.  Special automotive software was created for this application.

This was accepted so well by automotive pros world wide, that Pico then designed their 3223 two and 3423 four channel USB scopes specifically for automotive use.  These were a quantum leap forward in the hardware making the scopes hundreds of times more powerful.

Since that time, the PicoScope software has been playing catch up because it did not advance to the level that the hardware did and was never going to be able to make use of the hardware's full capabilities.  Nevertheless, the 3000 series scopes have proved to be the most powerful automotive scopes available.

For some time, behind the scenes, Pico has been working on their next generation of PicoScope software, redesigning it from the ground up.  Recently, the first public beta version of PicoScope 6 was released.  This is the quantum leap forward in the software that we have been anticipating.  Even in the early stages, we are seeing some things that have never been done before with scopes as the software begins to unleash the hidden power of the 3000 series scopes.

Here is an example of a Chrysler 3.5 CKP/CMP relationship with 3 minutes and twenty seconds of capture time on a single screen.  There are nearly a million samples per channel (up to four).  32 scrolling screens like this could have been captured into memory for about an hour and 45 minutes.

When we zoom way in on this, we can see there has been no loss of signal detail or integrity:

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

maki
Freshman Member

Re: Next Generation PicoScope Software
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2006 at 10:22am

Tom -

Very impressive.  If you had captured '32 scrolling screens' would there have been gaps between them?  Even if there are gaps it would still be impressive, but without gaps it would be downright amazing.

loren

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2006 at 1:11pm

Hi Loren,

There are gaps but the gaps are very small.  Especially at this time base they would be a very small part of the overall time as a percentage.  Not sure if I cold even calculate it it would be so small.

At this time base, I did my best to time the gap at <2s.  This would mean a better than 99% capture of the total data over multiple screens.

Of course, this percentage would vary at different time bases.  At it's low point it seems just short of 90% but I have not tested all of the combinations.

Just keep in mind that this is early beta.  If I told you what was coming, you wouldn't believe me.  Stay tuned  Shocked

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2006 at 11:49am

One of our group members, Nick Brownrigg, appears to be the first tech to apply PicoScope 6 to solve a real world problem and share the results.  First posted on iATN, I thought it deserves to be posted here as well. 

The victim is a 1991 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 with an intermittent stall, hesitation and no start.  Naturally the Jeep would not act up in the bay once the scope was hooked up.  Tongue

However, a short road test flushed out a single bump symptom.

He used a 3223 Pico two channel for the capture and used 5 seconds per screen streaming with 980,393 samples per channel.  This means there were 5 microseconds between samples on each of 18 screens he captured.  Never even filled the 32 screen memory.

He captured several pre and post symptom CKP failures on the short road test, including the actual failure that caused the symptom.  I made this little exam movie so we could show how much information was actually captured in a very short time.  No other automotive scope has these capabilities.

http://www.autonerdz.com/flash/jeepckp.html

The circles and arrows with a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was,  Smiley is a part of the software used to make the movie, not PicoScope.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged