Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17
Pico Setups (Read 41,270 times)
PEDRO SANCHEZ
Guru Member
Picogroup

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Chicago
Illinois
USA

Re: Pico Setups
Reply #195 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 4:31am

Abndanger wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 6:17pm:
There is a demand for mobile programming and diag for other shops, body shops and used car jockeys.

I agree, I've been offered a job at just about every place I've visited.

As for as I know I am the only one hear in Grand Rapids. I know I stay pretty busy.

That's awesome!

I think in your area you have several mobile guys around the area.

There are a few independents like the great John Thornton and a few others, but they frequent a side of the city I rarely visit. There is a small business consisting of a few guys but they mainly cater to the large repair and body shop chains. I've been flooded with referrals within the Hispanic repair community. I think they feel comfortable communicating in Spanish. The language barrier leaves a vast majority of my people without training and access to information.

Good luck. I know you will do well and don't let the heat of the battle get you down on the problem childs

I appreciate the kind words, extinguishing the heat makes it all worthwhile in the end!!!!! Grin

PEDRO SANCHEZ

IP Logged

Abndanger
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Grand Rapids, Mi, Michigan, USA
Grand Rapids, Mi
Michigan
USA

Reply #196 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 4:44am

Pedro,

John T. is an awesome instructor and good friend of mine. I learn a lot from him and respect him greatly for sharing his knowledge with us. Wink

I know Eric and Scott get out and do mobile as well.

The Hispanic community is Hugh. Very respectful people and hard workers. I do a lot for the one's here in GR. They also refer customers to my shop if things are tough.

Language barrier can be a problem at time's, but between my broken Spanish and their broken English we getter done Grin

Starting with the smaller shops and out lying area's are you best source of revenue. They depend on your expertise to help them. They view themselves as being to small to receive assistance from bigger players.

So focus on your smaller clientele. They will always be there for you when things get tough or slow Wink

There is a small network of us mobile guys who help each other and pass information when problems arise. We take care of our own Smiley

Maybe next time I am down that way we can hook up and chat. Always nice to meet fellow mobile guys Smiley

IP Logged

HarleyMike
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Dinwiddie County, Virginia, USA
Dinwiddie County
Virginia
USA

Reply #197 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 10:59am

So what tools are you sporting around in that Scion? I see the scope front and center Smiley.

I go to 3 local shops in my area, no programming....yet Wink.

Mostly Nissan and Subaru stuff, But I'm always looking for advise on tooling, to get the most bang for my buck if you know what i mean!!

~DatSoon Tech.~    Carter's Diagnostics on YouTube

IP Logged

Abndanger
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Grand Rapids, Mi, Michigan, USA
Grand Rapids, Mi
Michigan
USA

Reply #198 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 2:15am

HarleyMike wrote on Jul 8th, 2015 at 10:59am:
Mostly Nissan and Subaru stuff, But I'm always looking for advise on tooling, to get the most bang for my buck if you know what i mean!!

Mike, I can see you cruising into a shop with a Harley and a backpack full of OE scanners and of course your Pico Smiley

IP Logged

HarleyMike
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Dinwiddie County, Virginia, USA
Dinwiddie County
Virginia
USA

Reply #199 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 12:04pm

Abndanger wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 2:15am:
Mike, I can see you cruising into a shop with a Harley and a backpack full of OE scanners and of course your Pico Smiley

One Helluva good idea but..... If the day is to nice and the road is long I may just keep on going past the shop!! Cool Smiley

~DatSoon Tech.~    Carter's Diagnostics on YouTube

IP Logged

PEDRO SANCHEZ
Guru Member
Picogroup

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Chicago
Illinois
USA

Reply #200 - Jul 11th, 2015 at 8:36am

HarleyMike wrote on Jul 8th, 2015 at 10:59am:
So what tools are you sporting around in that Scion? I see the scope front and center .

I go to 3 local shops in my area, no programming....yet .

Hi Mike,

The first piece of equipment that got me hooked like crack was the Autonerdz Picoscope. After that it was like a snowball effect. Prior to this I owned a Snappy scanner and Matco perception scope. I had to start somewhere.

Chrysler Witech
Ford VCMII
GM MDI
Tech2
Hyundai Kia GDS
Honda Acura HDS
Techstream Lite
JLR IDS
a few aftermarket scantools
Fuel volume tester by Mighty Vac
Fuel composition tester by Kent Moore

Taurus Judge Wink

I would recommend sticking with OE tools and acquiring the Makes you are most comfortable with first to get the best bang for your buck.

As with any great tool there is a huge learning curve. I'm trying to master the ones I have before I get more.

I got called to a tranny shop to take a look at an 01 GS300 with a harsh shift between 2nd and 3rd. The owner told me after an overhaul, and 3 valve bodies later the harshness was still there. I am by no means a trans man but I said lets take a crack at it. Plugged in the Techstream and I learned that the ECU reset function is used whenever the trans or valvebody is replaced.

Easy money.......

The best ROI from a tool was the Picoscope with membership to the Picogroup. It has supplied the residual income needed to support my crack habit Grin Grin Grin

PEDRO SANCHEZ

IP Logged

PEDRO SANCHEZ
Guru Member
Picogroup

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Chicago
Illinois
USA

Reply #201 - Jul 11th, 2015 at 8:39am

Abndanger wrote on Jul 8th, 2015 at 4:44am:
So focus on your smaller clientele. They will always be there for you when things get tough or slow

There is a small network of us mobile guys who help each other and pass information when problems arise. We take care of our own

Maybe next time I am down that way we can hook up and chat. Always nice to meet fellow mobile guys 

Thank you for the advice Abndanger, I look forward to meeting you one day Smiley

PEDRO SANCHEZ

IP Logged

Cory
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

USA, Kansas, USA
USA
Kansas
USA

Reply #202 - Aug 23rd, 2015 at 1:50pm

Cool pico setups! I bought a small roll cab to use for my pico and am going to keep the pico itself in the top drawer and use some pass through's to connect my leads. However I am unsure what bnc cable extensions to get. Maybe http://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Connector-Bulkhead-Extension-Conductor/dp/B00M6...would work? Would regular old video bnc cables work. Most cables I have seen have 50 ohm resistance, is this ok? I only need about 1 foot length. Any links to a decent extension cable would be helpful. I like the box that datec sells but don't really want the boom.
Thanks

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft, Ontario, Canada
Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #203 - Aug 23rd, 2015 at 4:36pm

Cory wrote on Aug 23rd, 2015 at 1:50pm:
However I am unsure what bnc cable extensions to get. Maybe http://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Connector-Bulkhead-Extension-Conductor/dp/B00M6... work?

If you lived in Canada I would be selling you these PP718ext   http://www.autonerdz.com/testleads.html I know you said you only a foot or so but in time you will need these for road test.

By the way welcome to the Nerdz I've had a very busy summer mostly away from the shop and hadn't had time to welcome you. Wink

Mick
mick_3342 mikejonesautoengineering  
IP Logged

Cory
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

USA, Kansas, USA
USA
Kansas
USA

Reply #204 - Aug 23rd, 2015 at 5:24pm

Thanks for the welcome. Trying to sift through all the info here and have seen some of your posts, great info.
I do plan to order long leads for test drives or what not but for my cart I really only need some shortys.

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft, Ontario, Canada
Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #205 - Aug 23rd, 2015 at 5:38pm

Cory wrote on Aug 23rd, 2015 at 5:24pm:
do plan to order long leads for test drives or what not but for my cart I really only need some shortys.

I have been in situations that has 3 channels connected in the engine bay and then I need to hook up to the fuel pump module at the rear of the vehicle well guess what, I pull that extension lead through the hole in the cart and I have not inconvenienced myself one bit  Wink

Mick
mick_3342 mikejonesautoengineering  
IP Logged

Cory
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

USA, Kansas, USA
USA
Kansas
USA

Reply #206 - Aug 23rd, 2015 at 6:13pm

I see what your saying, I maybe didn't explain very well what I was asking. I need just the short leads for connection inside my cart for the pico and will have connectors coming through the side of the cart. Then I can just plug into the external connectors and still keep the pico safe inside the cart. Just a little cleaner I suppose. Thanks.

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #207 - Aug 24th, 2015 at 8:27am

Cory wrote on Aug 23rd, 2015 at 6:13pm:
I need just the short leads for connection inside my cart for the pico and will have connectors coming through the side of the cart

I think i see where you are going with this.  Keep in mind that, when using an attenuator, it must be placed directly on the scope module.  You don't want any leads between the attenuator and the scope or you'll get some distortion.  The attenuators are tuned to be placed directly on the scope BNC.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Cory
Freshman Member

I'm an Autonerd

USA, Kansas, USA
USA
Kansas
USA

Reply #208 - Aug 24th, 2015 at 10:15am

Right, I kept that in mind I seen someone else have an issue with that. Would it hurt to always leave them on or better to attach when needed?

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #209 - Aug 24th, 2015 at 11:55am

Cory wrote on Aug 24th, 2015 at 10:15am:
Would it hurt to always leave them on or better to attach when needed?

There are very few times you will need them using your 4425.  I just leave them off unless needed....Or think they MIGHT be needed.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17